MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Sep 18 : All we need is Brain 2 Chad Daily Game 0 09-18-2013 04:06 AM
Psych 3H03 - The Arts and the Brain mike4 Academics 5 06-13-2012 04:07 PM
Daily game Apr 24 : All we need is Brain 2 Chad Daily Game 0 04-24-2011 04:20 AM
Daily game Nov 23 : All We Need Is Brain Chad Daily Game 1 11-23-2010 05:07 AM
The Boy With The Incredible Brain healthsci1 Body & Food 1 08-14-2010 04:37 AM

Brain Cancer: A Plea.

Old 10-02-2013 at 08:49 PM   #1
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Brain Cancer: A Plea.
Those of you that already know me in person or have me on Facebook already know about this but I figured that I should reach out to the MI community as well.

My Uncle was diagnosed with a stage four glioblastoma multiforme last Fall; brain cancer. He went from being a vibrant person and great athlete to a speechless, wheelchair bound fraction of who he used to be in a matter of months. About two months to be exact. He has three wonderful children, the youngest of which is currently 14 years old, and an amazing wife who has been his rock through all of this. The prognosis we were given last October was 6-12 months and considering we're all in University I'm sure you can do the math, he's reached the end of the timeline. His brain tumour is also inoperable. We have tried chemo and radiation as well but neither have helped, at this point they are being used to ensure some quality of life until the end.

The reason I am reaching out to the MI community is because my dad decided that he needed to do something about this and he decided to fundraise. On November 2nd my dad is racing the Ironman Florida triathlon. For those of you that don't know, an Ironman consists of a 2.4-mile (3.86 km) swim, a 112-mile (180.25 km) bike and a marathon 26.2-mile (42.2 km) run raced in that order and without a break. The race takes anywhere from 8-13 hours for most endurance athletes.

My dad is trying to raise $6000 that he will donate to Princess Margaret's Brain Tumour Center. We chose this center because they have been absolutely amazing to my family and have helped us every single step of the way. The other reason is that we want to raise awareness about brain cancer. Many of you hear about breast cancer, ovarian cancer, childhood cancer, prostate cancer etc through the media but brain cancer is rarely discussed and it IS one of the most deadly. Researchers that my family has spoken to have all made it very clear that few ever make it past one year with glioblastoma multiforme but that current research papers often do not show this because of the lack of interest in the area. We are trying to make a change, albeit a small change.

Many of you that know me in person have already made donations or voiced your support and I cannot begin to tell you how much that has meant to my family and I. I am posting this on MI because we are currently $2000ish short of our goal and I would love to reach this goal before the race and before my uncle passes away... I know this is a bit of an odd plea and that we're all students but any monetary support, prayers or positive vibes make a huge difference to us. Even just sharing this with friends or family or looking into brain cancer would be amazing.

If you would like to donate here is the donation site: http://pmhf3.akaraisin.com/PersonalP...CA&pid=1208875

Thank you so, so, so much for taking the time to read this. It really does mean a lot.
If you have more questions about this feel free to post or inbox me.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

Old 10-02-2013 at 09:34 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

I shoudl stop passing out to sleep with my long d gf at nite in a phone call.

On a serious note I wish your family the best. It is amazing what he's doing even though of his character change. I hope he succeeds and recovers his character

sarahsullz says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 10-02-2013 at 10:12 PM   #3
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Cancer has been in my family, my deepest condolences, I'll share this cuz I'm a poor boy on full osap loan...

sarahsullz says thanks to allanandthera for this post.
Old 10-02-2013 at 10:18 PM   #4
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

"Hmm? Helping someone with cancer? Nah, I'll just donate the little that I have to some new cellphone project on Kickstarter, that will probably never get released, or to some already rich YouTube whore that keeps me entertained."

That's kinda what 99% of population thinks.
Old 10-02-2013 at 10:29 PM   #5
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Prayers on the way, and positive vibes are vibing.

All the best.

sarahsullz says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 10-02-2013 at 10:30 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Should have a MI get together feel good time

sarahsullz says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 10-02-2013 at 10:32 PM   #7
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Thank you for the support thus far, definitely feeling the positive vibes <3

Ken, if you want to get a group together I would be down.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 10-05-2013
vsingh23
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-05-2013
MrPlinkett
This message has been removed by a moderator. .