MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AC at Brandon Hall? thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-05-2010 11:44 PM
Brandon '09 Chad Brandon Hall Forum 67 09-03-2009 04:54 PM
Brandon Fire lorend Brandon Hall Fire Relief 86 10-29-2008 07:41 AM
Brandon Hall '07 lorend Brandon Hall Forum 30 06-09-2008 10:30 PM

Brandon '08

Old 07-04-2008 at 10:19 AM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Brandon '08
This is the 2008 Brandon discussion thread.

To view the archived discussions on Brandon, click here.

UPDATE: BRANDON FIRE RELIEF AND UPDATES:

- Click here for latest updates/announcement posts found on MacInsiders
- Click here for relief discussion from students
Old 07-04-2008 at 01:55 PM   #2
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

yay Brandon!! i'm a CA on the third floor! so i'd love to see if anyone on here is gonna be on my floor.
Old 07-04-2008 at 04:58 PM   #3
forgetmenot.

Liked: 0 Times

I'm in Brandon 206! anyone else on the second floor?
Old 07-04-2008 at 09:03 PM   #4
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Fourth floor! =)

Has anyone ever been inside a single room at Brandon? Is it a decent size for one?
Old 07-04-2008 at 09:35 PM   #5
Eva C
Elite Member

hey. i've seen one Eva ! actually, well i saw the CA room, which is a single room. its decent size. but i think other single rooms in other buildings maybe a big bigger. if you've seen a brandon double, its pretty much the same layout just cut in half really. i thought it was a bit dark for my liking, so i'm gonna be bringing an extra light. its livable!

eycc11 says thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 07-04-2008 at 09:45 PM   #6
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

Definitely bring an extra light, I found Brandon to be very dark sometimes, especially in the winter! Both my roommate and I had extra lamps, cause the only lights in the room were above the desk (on one end) and above the closet (on the other).
Old 07-05-2008 at 01:03 AM   #7
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Oh yeah, you need extra lighting in Brandon and Woodstock (they have virtually identical room layouts) for it not to feel dark and gloomy. I had one of those Ikea pedestal lamps in my Woodstock single and it worked nicely (just avoid bringing tall halogen lamps, technically they're not allowed because they get so hot). If you don't have one or aren't sure what's appropriate, don't worry, because there's an Ikea trip during Welcome Week where you can load up on stuff to make your room feel more like a home!

I also would highly recommend bringing extension cords and power bars, since the number of outlets in the rooms (and their locations) can be severely lacking at times. As for the size, well...singles are pretty cramped, I thought (other buildings definitely have bigger ones). Unfortunately they're sort of long and narrow, limiting your furniture-rearranging options. If you can tolerate sleeping right next to the air conditioner/heater vent, then a good idea is to turn the bed so that it's right under the window, which opens up some floorspace (the length of the bed is almost exactly the width of the room).

While small, they're certainly livable, it's just that I was spoiled having lived in Hedden and Keyes previously :p Doubles are pretty good, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Eva C, eycc11 all say thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 07-05-2008 at 09:31 AM   #8
Anupriya

I got Brandon single room and reading the previous messages, it doesnt sound very exciting?
Is it very small in size? because in the pictures they only show the double room, and not the single ones.
Old 07-05-2008 at 01:18 PM   #9
commiepants

im pretty stoked for brandon, sounds like its gonna be a good time.

WHOS ON 2nd FLOOR

(2nd floor is gonna be the best floor)
Old 07-05-2008 at 03:04 PM   #10
seva2007

nice to meet everyone.
im on the 11th floor (room 1117) if anyone wants to chill for a beer or something just knock on the door =)

@cippi, yeah I've been spoiled by the humungous single room of Whidden past two years so looks like this year I'm going to have learn to conserve space =p

btw... anybody know how good the a/cs are at brandon?

Last edited by seva2007 : 07-05-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2008 at 03:26 PM   #11
DelGatto4

Hey! I'm in Brandon, 7th floor! Message me if you're on the same floor
Old 07-06-2008 at 01:40 PM   #12
Eva C
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupriya View Post
I got Brandon single room and reading the previous messages, it doesnt sound very exciting?
Is it very small in size? because in the pictures they only show the double room, and not the single ones.
When i viisted it, i wouldn't say its SMALL, its just small in comparison to all the otehr single rooms on other campuses. At least to the ones that I have visited before and lived in. but i thikn its defiantely livable. I do not like that the desk size is a bit smaller. I like a big desk. But we'll see when we move in and just try and make the best of it!

as for a/c. I asked my friend who lived in brandon before he said that in the summer, the central system isn't really on a/c, or its not really that cold. so he suggested i bring a fan. i dont' know if this is true, but i'm just gonna bring one just incase.
Old 07-06-2008 at 04:58 PM   #13
G MAC

hey eva! I'm a new student to mac and i'm on the third floor. Looking forward to meeting you.
Old 07-06-2008 at 05:27 PM   #14
Eva C
Elite Member

hey G MAC, i can't wait to meet you too! and everyone else in brandon! Hope you all have a great summer everyone, school is just around the corner again!
Old 07-06-2008 at 05:29 PM   #15
G MAC

Name's Geoff Ogilvie, Nice to meet everyone, It's gonna be one hell of a time in brandon hall, Hope i see you all cheering on us mcmaster marauders on the football field this year