MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AC at Brandon Hall? thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-05-2010 11:44 PM
Brandon '09 Chad Brandon Hall Forum 67 09-03-2009 04:54 PM
Brandon Fire lorend Brandon Hall Fire Relief 86 10-29-2008 07:41 AM
Brandon Hall '07 lorend Brandon Hall Forum 30 06-09-2008 10:30 PM

Brandon '08

Old 07-07-2008 at 08:52 AM   #16
mayberetro

Liked: 0 Times

Brandon 10th Floor, anyone else a little overexcited for rez..? its gonna be a blast!
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:06 AM   #17
mgallant

Liked: 7 Times

hey brandonites. i lived in a single room in brandon last year. it was sweeeeet! a little small, but if you rearrange the furniture, the room will seem twice as big -- trust me! also, I brought two stings of white christmas lights (they're really more of a yellow light colour), and strung them around the room. Since all of the lighting in brandon is fluorescent, it will be nice to have some yellow light in your room. the a/c in brandon is pretty good -- i never never had a temperature problem while living there. I lived on 9th floor.. because there are only 54 (?) people on the floor, you'll all become super super tight. my floor was like a family.

does anyone else have any specific questions about brandon that i can answer?

Eva C says thanks to mgallant for this post.
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:17 AM   #18
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey, i'm in a single. did you push your bed to face the window side so it was all against the back wall? cause i don't know if that works out with the dimensions. as for desk space... is it enough to put my monitor, keyboard, speakers and hae room for me to put a textbook? i'm worred about the desk space more.
i am definately bringing it more lighting. i need light!!!!
any thing else specific we need to bring?
and i assume the closet area and the drawers is good enough for storage.
i need room for my mini fridge too, i think it can work out. thanks.
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:39 AM   #19
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Hey Eva. I was in a Woodstock single, which is virtually identical to Brandon singles. The bed should fit under the window, it did in Woodstock. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think the only difference between Woodstock and Brandon in terms of storage space is that in Brandon the beds aren't elevated, so you can't store stuff underneath them (there still are drawers under it, but no open space). If that's true, it makes storage space a bit more tight in Brandon, unfortunately.

The desks are really small compared to Hedden, Keyes, Les Prince, etc. You'd have room to put the things you listed, but that's about it. What I actually did was bring a second small desk (yes, I somehow fit that in there) for my computer, so that I could leave the supplied desk free to spread books and papers out on. It was one of those really narrow ones that are designed to just hold a computer, and I put it right next to the supplied one, which I moved to the "long" wall. Couple that with a rolling chair that I brought in, and you could go pretty easily between the two, or angle the monitor so you could see it and work with it while working at the larger desk. If I was just surfing or playing a game or something, then I'd just sit at the computer desk. It's something that worked for me, but may not for everyone - I'd suggest making those sorts of decisions after you've moved in and see how much space you have to work with. I also fit a mini-fridge in there without much issue, but I would suggest bringing a lot of extension cords and power bars - outlets can be lacking in the older buildings.

Oh, and I completely agree about the white mini-lights - in every rez room I ever lived in, one of the first things I always did was string them up around the perimeter of the room. They give an awesome soft glow to the room that's really nice - I virtually never used just the fluorescents in the room, because they were simply not bright enough. Ikea lamps also rock for lighting options.

Eva C, eycc11 all say thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 07-07-2008 at 12:37 PM   #20
mgallant

the beds fit (barely) across the back wall. i'm a tall guy, so i needed a bed extension. the bed was exactly the length of the wall, but, with some force, i got it to fit.

i put the desk on one of the side walls, with the dresser perpendicular to the desk, in front of the closet. REALLY opened the room up. i didn't do this until reading week, and was a big regret. seriously, rearrange it during welcome week -- you'll be glad you did!

the desks aren't huge, but they're ok. i keep my laptop, a second monitor, mouse, external hard drive, and speakers on my desk. i was also able to fit a textbook. the only hassle was when there were two books (ex. the calculus text AND solution guide). one of those books usually ended up on my lap. i took pictures of my room during welcome week (pre-rearrangement), and i'll make sure i post those some time soon, so you can get an idea of the single room dimensions.
Old 07-07-2008 at 12:47 PM   #21
mgallant

Picture time!

Again, this is BEFORE i moved the furniture. this is how the room will come.

An idea of the desk space:

Storage: a recommend bringing some shelving to put above the desk area

Length of the room:

Bring some seating for parties!

Another shot of the length of the room:

And finally: the beautiful view of cootes from 9th floor brandon. the higher you go up, the nicer the view!

hope this helps.

also. when i rearranged my room, i used my mini-fridge as a bedside table, which worked very well.

Eva C, eycc11, kaitlin, kenvin100 all say thanks to mgallant for this post.
Old 07-07-2008 at 03:03 PM   #22
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

thanks so much mike and matt! i'm moving in for CA training, so i'll have like 2 weeks to figure out how i want to rearrange stuff but now i have a better idea. gonna start planning thanks!! love the visuals! thanks so much! i will now start finding another table to bring it. i need extra desk space when i work. thanks.
Old 07-07-2008 at 06:53 PM   #23
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

I'm pretty sure all of the beds in Brandon are hollow, so you have a ton of extra space under the bed. Great for any extra food, paper, toiletries, or anything that you don't need on a daily basis. I also stacked three of these crates on top of the dresser, giving me a lot more storage space (I probably brought WAY too much stuff with me, but I was always prepared...)
Old 07-07-2008 at 08:35 PM   #24
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetmenot. View Post
I'm in Brandon 206! anyone else on the second floor?
That room is legendary. You must live up to the cause. That is all I will say.
Old 07-07-2008 at 09:11 PM   #25
Cippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah13 View Post
I'm pretty sure all of the beds in Brandon are hollow, so you have a ton of extra space under the bed.
Define "hollow" - aren't there drawers under the beds in Brandon like in the other buildings? One thing I do know for sure is that they aren't raised up on legs an extra foot off the ground like in Woodstock or Keyes, which unfortunately limits storage space underneath.
Old 07-07-2008 at 10:34 PM   #26
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

Nope...
For my room at least, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the floor, the bed "frame" was basically a wooden box, and the "lid" of the box lifts up on each end, letting you store stuff inside. Hopefully that makes more sense lol.
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:03 PM   #27
Cippi

Hah, that's interesting, I didn't know that. Guess I just always assumed that there were drawers lurking somewhere underneath my friends' comforters :p
Old 07-08-2008 at 08:18 PM   #28
bawb

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2255 View Post
That room is legendary. You must live up to the cause. That is all I will say.
heh yeah
Old 07-09-2008 at 05:03 PM   #29
hchan

Hi! I'm in Brandon on the 7th floor!
Hope to have an amazing year with everyone!
Old 07-09-2008 at 05:40 PM   #30
mayberetro

alright, so ive been reading some different sites about Brandon Hall and people don't seem to be too happy with it.... so... can someone whos lived there before let me know like how it looks and if its true that its not the best please? im getting a little worried