MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brandon Hall NoraD Residence & Housing 1 07-19-2012 07:37 PM
AC at Brandon Hall? thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-05-2010 11:44 PM
Brandon Hall Updates - Oct 22 Chad Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 4 10-23-2008 10:38 PM
Brandon Hall '07 lorend Brandon Hall Forum 30 06-09-2008 10:30 PM

Brandon Hall

Old 07-19-2014 at 07:40 PM   #1
lisar96

Liked: 4 Times

Brandon Hall
Can any upper years tell me about their experience in Brandon Hall and what they personally thought?

I've already read the pros/cons and articles macinsiders has about Brandon Hall and what's on McMaster's website.

I also heard Brandon Hall is the party residence. How true is that?
Old 07-19-2014 at 08:06 PM   #2
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisar96 View Post
Can any upper years tell me about their experience in Brandon Hall and what they personally thought?

I've already read the pros/cons and articles macinsiders has about Brandon Hall and what's on McMaster's website.

I also heard Brandon Hall is the party residence. How true is that?
I lived there for a year and it was OK.
They say it's a party residence but honestly, this really depends. Are you a party person as well? Then sure it is a party residence. If you don't like partying then don't go to those floor meetings and they won't bother you.

Noise level was OK as well, but if you find the place a bit loud then talk to the CA and they'll take care of it.

The only thing i didn't like was the fact that i had to share the bathroom with like 15 or more others. When people are really drunk they leave some nasty stuff behind in the shower (I'll leave this to your imagination.. but it was definitely one of the memories i wanted to forget about)

Personally, i preferred Les Princes >>>>>> Hedden > Brandon

lisar96 says thanks to onedayy for this post.
Old 07-19-2014 at 08:06 PM   #3
Ems467

Liked: 7 Times

I lived in a single on one of the quiet floors last year and felt like I was the loudest one there most of the time. I only remember being bothered by a noise issue once but it wasn't bad at all. The rooms are tiny and dim and the washrooms can get pretty gross towards the end of the week. It was a below average res experience for me as I've lived in Hedden and Les Prince. Anything specific you would like to know?

lisar96 says thanks to Ems467 for this post.
Old 07-19-2014 at 08:35 PM   #4
lisar96

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ems467 View Post
I lived in a single on one of the quiet floors last year and felt like I was the loudest one there most of the time. I only remember being bothered by a noise issue once but it wasn't bad at all. The rooms are tiny and dim and the washrooms can get pretty gross towards the end of the week. It was a below average res experience for me as I've lived in Hedden and Les Prince. Anything specific you would like to know?
Thanks!
If I were to use a kettle would any of the smoke alarms go off?
Any tips about making the most of the space? I'm in a double.
Would you recommend bringing a router?
Old 07-20-2014 at 10:42 AM   #5
Ems467

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisar96 View Post
Thanks!
If I were to use a kettle would any of the smoke alarms go off?
Any tips about making the most of the space? I'm in a double.
Would you recommend bringing a router?
No, kettles are fine. There is storage space under the mattress that I never bothered to use because you have to lift a piece of the bed frame and mattress to access it. That's quite a bit of space. There is wifi throughout the building so no router necessary, and because the rooms are so small, you can go anywhere with the ethernet cable they give you. I recommend that you bring a lamp or two, and light-coloured bedding and decorations. The room lights are not enough for studying at night and you don't want to make the room any darker than it already is. Also, there is no full-length mirror in the rooms or bathroom so bring one if you need it.
Old 07-20-2014 at 01:13 PM   #6
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

I'm going into second year and was on 2nd floor Brandon last year. My room was near the stairwell and some nights when people were coming back from class with their friends or coming back in on a weekend night it could get loud when they stop on the landings to talk.

Being on 2nd floor, I never had to use the elevators but from what I heard from upper floors, it was never too big of a deal getting up and down quickly. When they ran the occasional fire drill (or someone pulled the alarm) it did take a good 30 mins to get everyone out and for them to give the all-clear.

Never had a problem with the bathrooms, heating/AC, cleanliness of common room, or building maintenance having to fix things.

The main disadvantage I had with Brandon was that due to its size, there are literally hundreds of people you will never see throughout the whole year. But if you make good friends on your floor or in other rez's then there's nothing to worry about.

Hope this helped somewhat