MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Dub Step? huzaifa47 Music 37 03-01-2011 03:06 PM
Breaking news Re: Bursaries sniderj Financial Aid 4 02-02-2010 09:14 AM
Balsillie ends pursuit of Coyotes micadjems General Discussion 3 09-30-2009 10:32 PM
Hamilton One Step Closer To Having an NHL Team marauderlove MacInsiders Announcements 41 09-08-2009 11:35 PM
*Breaking News* Quarters Will Be Called... lorend MacInsiders Announcements 175 07-15-2009 05:23 PM

Breaking News: RIM CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie step down from company

Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis, who have shared the CEO and chair titles at Research In Motion, have resigned.

Thorsten Heins, formerly the company's chief operating officer, was named CEO and president.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bla...022113445.html

Stocks are down after the news

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...lazaridis.html

Allan likes this.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 01-22-2012 at 09:46 PM   #2
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times
Too bad, they were doing such a good job.

Old 01-22-2012 at 10:03 PM   #3
nomchock

Liked: 31 Times
the sarcasm is strong in this one

Old 01-22-2012 at 10:35 PM   #4
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times
Until they hire a Creativity/Marketing team that can even try to compare to Apple's, they are going to fail.

Old 01-22-2012 at 11:48 PM   #5
Dumbo

Liked: 7 Times
Good move by them

Old 01-23-2012 at 07:02 AM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times
look at those rim stocks lol

Old 01-23-2012 at 11:32 AM   #7
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times
There's no way BlackBerry can compete with iPhone and Android phones. They just suck for doing anything other then checking emails and playing brickbreaker. There have been so many advances in smartphones its no wonder everythings going to shit because everyone is looking at their $400 MSN machine and realize that browsing the web or doing anything interesting is god awful on a BlackBerry in comparison to other phones on the market

Old 01-23-2012 at 11:54 AM   #8
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times
a person advised me to buy RIM stocks like 2 months ago ..... now im broke

RyanC likes this.

Old 01-23-2012 at 12:01 PM   #9
ryan10200

Liked: 1 Time
I have the playbook and although it may have its cons, its a nice piece of hardware (as good if not better than the ipad) and the new software next month will be killer with social integration and bridge. If they can implement this software with top of the line hardware in their new phones, with some decent advertising, there's no reason they won't compete, I will definitely give them a look before jumping on the Iphone 5

--HP-- likes this.

Old 01-23-2012 at 01:19 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan10200 View Post
I have the playbook and although it may have its cons, its a nice piece of hardware (as good if not better than the ipad) and the new software next month will be killer with social integration and bridge. If they can implement this software with top of the line hardware in their new phones, with some decent advertising, there's no reason they won't compete, I will definitely give them a look before jumping on the Iphone 5
I have a playbook too. Since I don't have a smartphone its a really good (non-$600) alternative to bringing a laptop everyday. Hopefully Blackberry will bounce back and really get into it - Apple's having too easy a time at it.

Last edited by britb : 01-23-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Old 01-23-2012 at 01:22 PM   #11
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldBeStudying View Post
Too bad, they were doing such a good job.

/avoids Joker phone call joke

Last edited by britb : 01-23-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Crzyrio likes this.

Old 01-23-2012 at 05:47 PM   #12
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times
They have a lot of potential, the Playbook could have been huge, if they didn't half ass it. The playbook was released with a lacking OS that cause a LOT of negative advertising.

J. Dorey it has nothing to do with marketing, just look at Blackberries and every other smart phone right now. They are pretty far behind. They need to start making serious lee way.

RIM made it big and then but then failed to adapt to the new consumer needs/wants.

Old 01-23-2012 at 07:05 PM   #13
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times
I think a large downfall is the lack of variety in hardware as well as a smaller app store. android would have been far less successful if they werent on a million different kinds of devices from lots of manufacturers. if they only allowed 1 or 2 companies to make and design phones, it would have been far less successful.

unless they have a big turnaround, i have a feeling they will just be bought out for their patents soon

Old 01-24-2012 at 11:23 PM   #14
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H. View Post
I think a large downfall is the lack of variety in hardware as well as a smaller app store. android would have been far less successful if they werent on a million different kinds of devices from lots of manufacturers. if they only allowed 1 or 2 companies to make and design phones, it would have been far less successful.

unless they have a big turnaround, i have a feeling they will just be bought out for their patents soon
That's the trick, to get apps they need people to adopt the device, and the ipad already has such a huge head start. RIM's gotta start innovating again.

Old 03-25-2012 at 03:21 PM   #15
jessome11

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
That's the trick, to get apps they need people to adopt the device, and the ipad already has such a huge head start. RIM's gotta start innovating again.
Seconded. Can't say my bberry trumps the iphone in too many aspects.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search