MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking Student Support for the Wilson Building (new Liberal Arts Building) finklej MacInsiders Announcements 41 10-31-2010 11:29 PM
Nuclear reactor emergency exercises Daily News MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-28-2010 08:40 AM
Laptop Security!! Kay-Kay Residence & Housing 2 09-01-2008 10:42 PM
New Mac Residence being built? Chad Residence & Housing 7 10-18-2006 04:20 PM

What building is being built between the Nuclear Reactor and the Campus Security?

Old 11-20-2010 at 12:59 PM   #1
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times

What building is being built between the Nuclear Reactor and the Campus Security?
Walked by it a couple times but haven't bothered finding out what it is going to be.
Old 11-21-2010 at 10:42 AM   #2
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

I've been wondering too, I assumed it was just an extension of the reactor building
Old 11-21-2010 at 11:51 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I figured it was a multi-level parking lot
Old 11-21-2010 at 11:54 AM   #4
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

I've heard that it's going to an extention to the reactor building as well, from multiple people.

Old 11-21-2010 at 12:05 PM   #5
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Professor boreham mentioned in a lecture once what it was supposed to be. I'll ask him next time I see him (if I remember) but if I recall correctly it's an extension to the tandem accelerator.
Old 11-21-2010 at 01:33 PM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Professor boreham mentioned in a lecture once what it was supposed to be. I'll ask him next time I see him (if I remember) but if I recall correctly it's an extension to the tandem accelerator.
So, basically useless to the majority of the student population? Great.
Old 11-21-2010 at 01:52 PM   #7
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
So, basically useless to the majority of the student population? Great.
It'll let us do more research. Mcmaster is kind of known for its innovative research.
Old 11-21-2010 at 02:09 PM   #8
mcmull19

Liked: 6 Times

NRB West Addition

Job No:
Project No: 939
Construction Mgr./Contractor: Ira McDonald Construction Ltd.
Consultant::
Project Description: The NRB West Addition is a 3 storey addition to the Nuclear Research Building. The first and second floors will house research laboratories for several different groups of researchers and their staff. The third floor will be offices for the same research groupsThe project is estimated to begin on 10/8/2010 and end on 3/31/2011. For more information please contact Project Manager David Heatlie and Stuart Gilmour at extension 23051/23062.

From: http://ppims.mcmaster.ca/pplant/cons...n/projects.asp

killza says thanks to mcmull19 for this post.
Old 11-21-2010 at 02:32 PM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
It'll let us do more research. Mcmaster is kind of known for its innovative research.
I know we have a strong research background, but an extra Nobel prize isn't going to help me in undergrad.
Old 11-21-2010 at 02:54 PM   #10
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
I know we have a strong research background, but an extra Nobel prize isn't going to help me in undergrad.
It does help in our reputation among the public, which in turns helps when you try to find a job.

aya017, Pay919 like this.
Old 11-21-2010 at 03:39 PM   #11
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
It does help in our reputation among the public, which in turns helps when you try to find a job.
Maybe if I wanted to go into research or academics. But both of those would require a master's+. which is what really matters. Again, no help for undergrad.

The majority of jobs/prof schools don't care if you're an Toronto, McGill, Calgary or Mount Allison graduate. All they care about if you can do your job or not. A Noble prize isn't going to help that. Having better study facilities would. Having smaller class sizes and less overcrowding would. Extending the money used for the reactor to bursaries and things would.

I'm not saying research is useless or not needed, far from it. I'm just saying this thing is not going to benefit the majority of students much.
Old 11-21-2010 at 04:01 PM   #12
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

I agree with you Britb.

A multi level parking lot in the middle of campus would be nice too. lol
Old 11-21-2010 at 04:34 PM   #13
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Its an extension to NRB (Nuclear Research Building).
NRB is being expanded, and thats what the construction is.
NRB is also connected to the MNR (McMaster Nuclear Reactor).
It is NOT an extension to the Tandem Accelerator lab. The TA (Tandem Accelerator) building is on the other side of the "road" nearer to GSB than to ABB.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 11-21-2010 at 04:50 PM   #14
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Maybe if I wanted to go into research or academics. But both of those would require a master's+. which is what really matters. Again, no help for undergrad.

The majority of jobs/prof schools don't care if you're an Toronto, McGill, Calgary or Mount Allison graduate. All they care about if you can do your job or not. A Noble prize isn't going to help that. Having better study facilities would. Having smaller class sizes and less overcrowding would. Extending the money used for the reactor to bursaries and things would.

I'm not saying research is useless or not needed, far from it. I'm just saying this thing is not going to benefit the majority of students much.
A nobel prize would indirectly affect the students in the school, although probably not you since you'll be gone at that time.
If someone from mcmaster won the nobel prize it would bring a lot of attention to mcmaster and that extra attention would bring in a lot of money for the school. Some of that money would be used for undergraduate programs.

REPLEKIA/. says thanks to Pay919 for this post.

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 11-21-2010 at 09:54 PM   #15
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Why does every research development turn into "F*** research, where's my lecture hall?".

temptingf8 likes this.