191 Main Street West Jenn629 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 6 05-31-2010 10:18 PM

Bus Frequency on Main Street?

Old 08-19-2013 at 05:17 AM   #16
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskBreaker View Post
Does anyone know the Bus Number for Main Street? I'd like to put it in here; http://www.busweb.hamilton.c a:8008...up&.s=5c7c5cf9
Try 10 - B line and 52 - dundas local.

RiskBreaker says thanks to anon491 for this post.
Old 08-19-2013 at 07:39 AM   #17
Ziggi

Liked: 2 Times

Depends on where you're going really.
Here is a system map http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...RSystemMap.pdf

The 10 B-line is the quickest way to University Plaza or anywhere east of McMaster [because it only stops at certain streets. So make sure one of its stops is near where you're wanting to go]

If you're going west:
the 5B/52 [which is the 5 - Delaware, the final destination is Head St Loop or Pirie at Governors depending on how far you're going.] goes to Dundas [and if you're going further there is the 52 - Dundas Local ... I assume it goes further into Dundas. I've never had to take it. The 52/5B have been sufficient for me]

and the 5C [5 - Delaware, still. Just make sure you check the final destination on the schedule and it will let you know. West Hamilton Loop and Martindale at Golf Links (depending on how far you're going) are both the 5C] goes into Ancaster. [The 16 - Ancaster runs more extensively into Ancaster, but again I've never taken it as the 5C has been enough for me]

If you're going east:
the 1A [1 - King] goes all the way to Eastgate [The 1 is the other variation of this, but it only runs from Downtown east] along Main
The 10 follows the 1A, but with selective stops.
The 5E [5 - Delaware going East] doesn't run as often as the 1A [and it doesn't go through campus, only along Main proper] but follows the same route until Ottawa St [way the hell in the East End] and then follows the route of the 5 - Delaware along King
The 5C runs along Main St to Wellington and then runs closer to the Escarpment and runs til Rosedale or Stoney Creek depending on the final destination
And the 51 - University which I don't believe HAS it's own route input in the schedule finder but it runs from Mac to the GO station which is quite handy

TL;DR
Going West: Decide whether you're going to Ancaster or Dundas, but they're both the 5 - Delaware [just look for final destination]
Or Only to University Plaza? Take the 10 - B Line

Going East: If you're only going as far as downtown you can take the 1 - King, 5 - Delaware, 51 - University, or 10 - B Line [depending on the stop as it only stops at certain ones]

RiskBreaker says thanks to Ziggi for this post.
Old 08-19-2013 at 08:46 AM   #18
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
The buses are full because the HSR doesnt run enough of them...its a simple fact of life. The amount of buses of they run aren't enough to handle the number of students who travel to the Westdale HS on Main, Columbia College and Mac.

Anyways pack your patience with you...it can get really frustrating.
Mac has the most buses running on the streets than any other street in Hamilton. There are all the 5 buses (5C, 5E, 5B), 10-beline, 1A king, 52 dundas, 52 university (or was it 55 lol). no other street has this many buses!

the frequency depends on which bus you're talking about. if you can take any bus then i would say they're as frequent as 10 minutes at maximum.15-20 minutes is an exaggeration having that many buses driving around.

RiskBreaker says thanks to kitty1 for this post.
Old 08-19-2013 at 08:49 AM   #19
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

on one hand people are always complaining about why so many buses run back to back, on the other people complain about not having enough buses. i came to the conclusion that no matter what HSR does, they cannot make students of Mac happy lol.

RiskBreaker says thanks to kitty1 for this post.
Old 08-19-2013 at 09:34 AM   #20
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty1 View Post
on one hand people are always complaining about why so many buses run back to back, on the other people complain about not having enough buses. i came to the conclusion that no matter what HSR does, they cannot make students of Mac happy lol.
The problem is that buses run back-to-back - if you have 3 buses go by, all one behind another, then it's essentially like having one (really long) bus. You miss one, instead of there being another one 5mins later, you've got to wait 15-20mins for the next bus because they all came at once.
I understand that with traffic there's only so much that they can do, but I don't think they should schedule the buses so close together - if you schedule them to come 3mins apart, that doesn't leave you a lot of room to take traffic into account.

RiskBreaker says thanks to starfish for this post.

amare likes this.
Old 08-19-2013 at 04:49 PM   #21
RiskBreaker

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi View Post
Depends on where you're going really.
Here is a system map http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...RSystemMap.pdf

The 10 B-line is the quickest way to University Plaza or anywhere east of McMaster [because it only stops at certain streets. So make sure one of its stops is near where you're wanting to go]

If you're going west:
the 5B/52 [which is the 5 - Delaware, the final destination is Head St Loop or Pirie at Governors depending on how far you're going.] goes to Dundas [and if you're going further there is the 52 - Dundas Local ... I assume it goes further into Dundas. I've never had to take it. The 52/5B have been sufficient for me]

and the 5C [5 - Delaware, still. Just make sure you check the final destination on the schedule and it will let you know. West Hamilton Loop and Martindale at Golf Links (depending on how far you're going) are both the 5C] goes into Ancaster. [The 16 - Ancaster runs more extensively into Ancaster, but again I've never taken it as the 5C has been enough for me]

If you're going east:
the 1A [1 - King] goes all the way to Eastgate [The 1 is the other variation of this, but it only runs from Downtown east] along Main
The 10 follows the 1A, but with selective stops.
The 5E [5 - Delaware going East] doesn't run as often as the 1A [and it doesn't go through campus, only along Main proper] but follows the same route until Ottawa St [way the hell in the East End] and then follows the route of the 5 - Delaware along King
The 5C runs along Main St to Wellington and then runs closer to the Escarpment and runs til Rosedale or Stoney Creek depending on the final destination
And the 51 - University which I don't believe HAS it's own route input in the schedule finder but it runs from Mac to the GO station which is quite handy

TL;DR
Going West: Decide whether you're going to Ancaster or Dundas, but they're both the 5 - Delaware [just look for final destination]
Or Only to University Plaza? Take the 10 - B Line

Going East: If you're only going as far as downtown you can take the 1 - King, 5 - Delaware, 51 - University, or 10 - B Line [depending on the stop as it only stops at certain ones]
I am trying to open the map but every time I zoom in I have to wait a good minute for adobe to draw all the streets not to mention that the street names are not legible either due to poor spacing. (this might be this HP computer) Also, I am new to Hamilton, I have absolutely no knowledge of the street names. Can you please predict the morning 8:30-10:00 bus frequency at 1001 Main Street West? From the closest stop to that address to the heart of McMaster. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
The problem is that buses run back-to-back - if you have 3 buses go by, all one behind another, then it's essentially like having one (really long) bus. You miss one, instead of there being another one 5mins later, you've got to wait 15-20mins for the next bus because they all came at once.
I understand that with traffic there's only so much that they can do, but I don't think they should schedule the buses so close together - if you schedule them to come 3mins apart, that doesn't leave you a lot of room to take traffic into account.
I totally agree. That's how it is in Toronto and there are rarely times where you can't get in the bus (due to full capacity) because of their high frequency.

Last edited by RiskBreaker : 08-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2013 at 05:16 PM   #22
Ziggi

Liked: 2 Times

Yeah, it's a bit stupid how they have it set up. But you can go to here https://www.hamilton.ca/CityServices...ules/index.htm
and click any of the Route Timetables for a printer friendly version of each Route schedule and map.

You can also put in your starting point and end point in Google Maps and click the bus icon and it'll create a timetable for you [if you're unsure of what bus to take this is a great option!]

For getting from your house to Mac, there's a stop at Main and Paisley. The bus will be the 52 or 5B
Currently the times are:
7:53
8:10
8:23
8:40
8:55
9:08
9:22
9:38
9:43
9:58

It will let you out in front of the Hospital, though. It doesn't go onto campus, but continues to run along Main St.

[Click the 5 - Delaware route, Westbound, Select Stops, Main at Paisley. The stop number is 1194 so you could always call the bus schedule and use that as well]

If you want you can walk up Paisley to King St to take a bus through campus [it'll be more frequent as the 51, 5C, and 1A all run that route] but I think walking through campus from Main St will be faster anyway.
Old 08-19-2013 at 07:00 PM   #23
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskBreaker View Post
I am trying to open the map but every time I zoom in I have to wait a good minute for adobe to draw all the streets not to mention that the street names are not legible either due to poor spacing. (this might be this HP computer) Also, I am new to Hamilton, I have absolutely no knowledge of the street names. Can you please predict the morning 8:30-10:00 bus frequency at 1001 Main Street West? From the closest stop to that address to the heart of McMaster. Thanks a lot!
Simple - the buses passing 1001 Main St W don't go into the heart of campus. They only go along Main St.
You can also walk it if it's a nice day/you're not lazy.

Visit google maps and take a while to look at the area immediately surrounding Mac, especially the main streets. That way you have a general idea of where streets are when you hear the names - worked for me!
Old 08-19-2013 at 07:13 PM   #24
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
The buses are full because the HSR doesnt run enough of them...its a simple fact of life. The amount of buses of they run aren't enough to handle the number of students who travel to the Westdale HS on Main, Columbia College and Mac.

Anyways pack your patience with you...it can get really frustrating.
HSR is already running a hell of a service. If you saturate the routes more, guess what-- you'll have even more empty buses running between classes. Not good for business. The buses get densely packed right before and after classes and then it tapers off significantly.

At about 9:30 in the morning, going from campus to downtown, there are three empty buses in a row: The 1A, the 5A and a bus that goes to downtown only as it cycles off. Add a 51 and you have four in a row.

Timing is the thing that ought to be optimized. The 1A leaves the hospital right before a class ends; if that were to run a few minutes later than things would be reasonably fine. Going to the school in the morning is a problem that may not be as easily solved. Patience seems to be key.

Old 08-20-2013 at 03:52 PM   #25
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
HSR is already running a hell of a service. If you saturate the routes more, guess what-- you'll have even more empty buses running between classes. Not good for business. The buses get densely packed right before and after classes and then it tapers off significantly.

At about 9:30 in the morning, going from campus to downtown, there are three empty buses in a row: The 1A, the 5A and a bus that goes to downtown only as it cycles off. Add a 51 and you have four in a row.

Timing is the thing that ought to be optimized. The 1A leaves the hospital right before a class ends; if that were to run a few minutes later than things would be reasonably fine. Going to the school in the morning is a problem that may not be as easily solved. Patience seems to be key.
I agree, HSR definitely need to optimize their routes with the school schedules. It would save them money in the long run too since there won't be empty buses during classes and the service focus more on when the students is coming to or exiting classes.
Old 08-20-2013 at 04:52 PM   #26
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Bang on with that point! Its like the HSR is trying to run an LRT system with buses...something that clearly doesnt work well. Buses are meant to be scheduled with regular timed intervals. By having buses bunched you're making people wait longer at the end of the day.

At least if they spaced buses more, they would be giving people the allusion they are running more buses. The thing is that they cant even get that done, let alone add a bus.