MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer Positions: Scotia Global Risk Management Hiring For Summer! Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-08-2010 03:04 PM
Bus Routes to Hamilton Harbour marieeeeeee General Discussion 3 11-21-2009 10:10 AM
Bus routes Myaccount General Discussion 4 09-11-2009 05:53 PM
HSR routes changed by 2011 adrian General Discussion 9 11-01-2008 04:19 PM

Bus routes during the summer

Old 03-04-2010 at 05:00 PM   #1
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Bus routes during the summer
I've never actually stayed in Hamilton over the summer in the past, I was wondering if the buses run the same over the summer or are the routes different/don't run as much on campus? Thanks in advance! ^_^;
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:20 PM   #2
mallo788
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 3 Times

As far as I know most buses are the same except the 51 does not run at all in the summer.

marieeeeeee says thanks to mallo788 for this post.
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:23 PM   #3
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

Yup I think the above post is correct.
Unfortunately if you are an undergrad your bus pass doesn't work for the summer. I've heard that the graduate student bus pass works year long though!
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:30 PM   #4
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

There are spring/summer schedules, though not much changes that I know of. They're not up right now, but they may be up soon at http://www.hamilton.ca/CityServices/...ing_Schedules/
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:32 PM   #5
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
Unfortunately if you are an undergrad your bus pass doesn't work for the summer. I've heard that the graduate student bus pass works year long though!
I'm actually taking some summer courses though, would that mean there's a bus pass for the summer?
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:49 PM   #6
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieeeeeee View Post
I'm actually taking some summer courses though, would that mean there's a bus pass for the summer?
Well, your student card doesn't act as a pass for the summer, but there is a McMaster summer pass available. http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /worth....cfm?i d=5044

The downside is that it cost $252.00 last year, which is still better than 4 monthly adult passes ($316).

But given that summer school ends in early August, you may actually be better off just buying tickets, depending on how often you'll be taking the bus.

marieeeeeee says thanks to MarkA for this post.
Old 03-04-2010 at 06:10 PM   #7
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
This is true...except we have to pay close to 3 times what undergrads pay for it because there are fewer grad students. ):

-------------------

I posted a complete analysis last year, regarding whether or not a summer pass was feasible (with all the numbers included)...unfortuna tely, my post seems to have been pruned since I can't find it.

I believe my conclusion was, the summer pass is a rip off even if you are attending school a full 4 days a week (2 courses per semester). The exception being if you're a person who uses the busses a lot to go shopping, or to your job, etc.

I'll post another analysis shortly...I'm in the mood to procrastinate a bit, and this is a good opportunity. lol
Old 03-04-2010 at 06:19 PM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Unfortunately, the fares have risen this year...so the price of the summer pass will also likely increase. Nonetheless, assuming the pass does not increase, here is the comparison using the current fares:

1 adult ticket costs $2.00 on the nose...that means for one bus ride (or two in quick succession using a transfer) it will cost you $2.00.

The bus pass costs $252...that means you need to take 126 bus trips just to break even. Over the 13 weeks of summer school, this averages to approximately 10 trips a week.

If you have a full course load of 2 courses per semester, you will only use the bus 8 times a week (and that's only if you attend every single lecture) (one to, and one from class, 4 times a week).

So this gives a deficit of about 126 - 8(13) = 126 - 104 = 22.

This means you need 22 'additional' bus trips just to break even, even if you have a full course load!

If you work a summer job this is definitely possible, since you retain the pass through the month of August (but even so you must use the pass approximately 4 times a week). If not, it's definitely not worth your money.

Regardless, it's not like you'll be making any big savings by getting the pass...even if you wind up making more than 126 trips over the summer, you can't possibly make enough in addition to that to make the pass a huge bargain.

It does not get my seal of approval. ):

goodnews.inc, lawleypop, marieeeeeee, xo.monica all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:07 PM   #9
l.esho
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

Route 51 doesn't run in the summer?
We can't use our passes in the summer?!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Forget that, I'll cause a scene if I have to.

"I DON'T SPEND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS A YEAR TO GET A DEGREE TO GET A DECENT JOB THAT PAYS THE TAXES THAT PAYS YOUR INCOME FOR YOU TO KICK ME OFF THE BUS BECAUSE OF MCMASTER'S DUMB ASS. FORGET CHU! FORGET CHU! FORGET CHU!"
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:09 PM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

we get an amazing deal on our bus pass. go ahead and cause a scene, you're in the wrong.

do you really think there's enough people who stay in hamilton during the summer to give us the same amazing price?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-04-2010 at 10:16 PM   #11
l.esho
Account Disabled by User

I just think its unfair. People have to commute in the summer too. I thought my tuition granted me a pass.

It is a great deal, but like most great deals they screw you over somehow to even it out. If it sounds to good to be true, than it is.

Now I'm stuck having to figure out a way to get to Mac without depending on the bus. In the summer. With the heat.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:19 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

I don't think it's unfair at all. I imagine our tuition being hundreds of dollars higher if it wasn't for the deal we get.

People don't stay in hamilton for the summer. Some do, but other people go home, work elsewhere, or... go elsewhere. And let's face it, Hamilton's a shithole. (;o)

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading that students can claim monthly bus passes on tax returns.

Still a sweet deal.

Old 03-04-2010 at 10:21 PM   #13
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Your tuition does guarantee you a pass. During the school year.

How are you being screwed by having to pay for a public service? Do you think that the buses magically drive themselves and are powered by magic free gas?

</facepalm>
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:24 PM   #14
l.esho
Account Disabled by User

When I paid my vast amounts of money towards tuition, I was under the impression that I was paying for the public transportation for the school year.
I didn't know it excluded the summer.

I just feel inconvienienced is all.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:25 PM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

All other fees we pay only last for the 8months.

Yea, it sucks, but "screwed over" is a harsh term is all I'm saying. I think it evens out with the sweet deal for the other 8 months.