MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changed courses around... Cliu91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-09-2010 03:59 PM
Fridge policy changed for 2010-2011! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 13 08-07-2010 06:08 AM
Bus routes during the summer marieeeeeee Automotive & Transportation 26 03-05-2010 03:21 PM
Bus Routes to Hamilton Harbour marieeeeeee General Discussion 3 11-21-2009 10:10 AM
Bus routes Myaccount General Discussion 4 09-11-2009 05:53 PM

HSR routes changed by 2011

Old 10-31-2008 at 10:10 PM   #1
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

HSR routes changed by 2011
Ok, so I've been quite upset with the fact that no buses are going to go through campus by 2011. Coincidentally, we had that DVD referendum the other day. So I said to myself: okay, why not have a USEFUL referendum? Why not have a referendum asking students if they support having the HSR routes being left the bleep alone. [email protected] I have taken numerous pictures(and I can post them, although they are cellphone quality) of the crowds at the main bus stops(next to Divinity college) and I don't think any of the students would enjoy the walk to main street. And how are they gonna route it so that someone can get to westdale(and how long will that take to get there lol)??? Anyway, I am very upset about this and I want something to be done. I feel that the campus is pedestrian safe enough while still being accessible. The move by 2011 will break the half-working ecosystem currently in place.

Speaking of ecosystems, I have Bio 1M03. We had a group project. I chose the topic that said something like: "The bus routes will be changed by 2011. Many people are very upset. Propose a solution that will help McMaster's image as a leader in world blah blah. Show how this is related to bio." I suggested a rather good idea. My group members loved it. When it came for the idea review from a peer TA, they shot it down in favor of recycling and solar power. What a load of bull. I'm thinking of presenting this idea individually now to McMaster. Anyone know how to do that?

If McMaster wants to stay a world leader in whatever it is they want, making students walk in the dead of winter, some after night class, some with groceries all the way across campus is NOT the way to do it. Someone please tell me there's others sharing the sentiment.
Adrian
Old 11-01-2008 at 12:40 AM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I understand why you think the DVD referendum was stupid, it was, but understand that in the MSU constitution there is a section which states that if a group, organization or even outside company (as with DVD thing) gathers enough signatures calling for a referendum, it has to be done.

Old 11-01-2008 at 01:15 AM   #3
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
I understand why you think the DVD referendum was stupid, it was, but understand that in the MSU constitution there is a section which states that if a group, organization or even outside company (as with DVD thing) gathers enough signatures calling for a referendum, it has to be done.
I agree, and I am very thankful for the democracy of that system. Actually, that was my point: can we bring about a referendum for the bus routes? That way the students get to have their say
Old 11-01-2008 at 09:35 AM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Hey guys,
a referendum would definitely not be the best way to go about dispersing your feedback.. and would ultimately be a lot more work for you.
I'd instead invite you to send a letter with your concerns to either Azim, your MSU president [email protected] ca, one of your SRA reps, university officials, or even city officials. I'm certain that there's a great liklihood that anyone from this group of people will have already been studying into the issue and would looove more feedback from students.
Old 11-01-2008 at 10:52 AM   #5
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

A referendum would send a strong message to the university (which is behind the removal) and force the MSU to do something.

It's not hard to put together a petition and gather the signatures.

Just remember that the MSU Elections Committee gets to set the question. Make sure your petition is clear as to the intent of the referendum.

You should write an opinion piece and submit to The Silhouette to promote your position.
Old 11-01-2008 at 11:00 AM   #6
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Instead of first going around your representatives, I'd at least first try speaking with them to then see if they are doing something. All the referendum will do is force the MSU into something as joey had said. But, it would be much better to see what the MSU is actualy doing, where the discussions have been going, and then see how you could contribute your feedback/input.
Referendums are costly and time-consuming. If you really did feel that the MSU was not representing you properly, then you could also bring this up at the next General Assembly. GA is like an SRA meeting where you can pass motions that bind the msu into something but it is for all MSU members. You would have to bring a certain amount of the MSU members in order to get quorum but it can be done.
The HSR thing is not one that is being overlooked by the MSU. I've already partcipated in many a discussion on the topic... Azim or your SRA would be happy to meet with you so why not take that route first.

adrian says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 11-01-2008 at 11:21 AM   #7
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
Instead of first going around your representatives, I'd at least first try speaking with them to then see if they are doing something. All the referendum will do is force the MSU into something as joey had said. But, it would be much better to see what the MSU is actualy doing, where the discussions have been going, and then see how you could contribute your feedback/input.
Referendums are costly and time-consuming. If you really did feel that the MSU was not representing you properly, then you could also bring this up at the next General Assembly. GA is like an SRA meeting where you can pass motions that bind the msu into something but it is for all MSU members. You would have to bring a certain amount of the MSU members in order to get quorum but it can be done.
The HSR thing is not one that is being overlooked by the MSU. I've already partcipated in many a discussion on the topic... Azim or your SRA would be happy to meet with you so why not take that route first.
General Assemblies are held during the exam prep break in April. A few yeas ago, a motion was placed before the General Assembly that would have required the Vice-Presidents be elected by the student body and also would have banned MSU politicians from taking corporate gifts. We had about 350 people, but failed to meet the quorum of 520. Since then, the MSU has moved the GA to a time which is impossible for students to attend, especially those in engineering who made up the majority of the 350 that came out in Feb 2006.

GA is not an option for students.

Referendums are not as time-comsuming and costly as the SRA likes to imply. The referendum would be held in February alongside the presidential election. The only added cost is the bonus paid to the CRO for running it and the printing of ballots.

A referendum requires the MSU to take action. The current "lets make sure the administration likes us" approach of the MSU does not appear to be working on the HSR file.

Other than increasing the pay of the MSU president and Vice-Presidents by just over 22.3% this summer (making the MSU president the highest compensated student union president in the country, and the MSU VPs the highest compensated in the country and, as far as I can tell from the data I've compiled on student union compensation, higher paid than all but two other student union presidents), I can't think of much that the SRA has done this year.

Note: The compensation figure does not include as health/dental, transportation, and other full-time staff benefits. Plus, the MSU is one of few student unions which the executive can accept corporate gifts without required public disclosure. It does include the rent the MSU pays for the MSU president's apartment.

A referendum sends a clear message to the university about how students feel on the matter.

It also attracts media attention to the issue.

An interesting sidenote, The AMS (UBC's student union) is actually pushing the university on fees and speaking out: http://www.amsubc.ca/index.php/ams/b..._student_fees/

Last edited by fullsmash26 : 11-01-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo

adrian, BlakeM all say thanks to fullsmash26 for this post.
Old 11-01-2008 at 12:03 PM   #8
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

this may seem like a super dumb question.. but if there aren't any busses running through campus... will we still have to pay for the bus pass?
Old 11-01-2008 at 12:08 PM   #9
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Yes, until the current contract expires in 2011. Students will vote on the UPass again in the spring of 2011.

(I'd expect a provincial announcement of LRT funding to occur during that spring as well with McGuinty looking for reelection in the fall.)
Old 11-01-2008 at 04:19 PM   #10
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Just to clairify what Joey has said... the GA timing isn't set in stone nor is it set at any point so it is purposely at a time that is inconvient for students. It's whenever one can be organized. We were originally hoping to have one each semester this year. The Univ Affairs committee is taking the reigns on planning for the next one so that it's not held right before april exams like last time. They're really excited about taking this on as a pet project of theirs so I'm looking forward to it! =)

Referendums are time consuming and costly compared to actually just going and talking to Azim or your SRA. You should really consider what the actual outcome would be in this case and weigh whether or not this is the best approach. Before you do that, you would speak to Azim/SRA and find out! The other option besides a referendum is a GA, which is why I mentioned it.. and to get the word out about what those are at any opportunity I can in hopes of gaining interest

As for the VP's $ increase, it was done simply so that their wages could be attached to a pay scale that would increase with CPI. Their salaries never went up with this index before, making the actual value of what they do less and less each year. And it hardly ties into the bus question
"I can't think of much that the SRA has done this year." -- I'm just going to shake my head at this.. I can sure think of a lot!
"Plus, the MSU is one of few student unions which the executive can accept corporate gifts without required public disclosure" -- all I've gotten is some free tshirts. Damn Azim for not sharing whatever he's getting! har har har

Why all the SRA hostility, Joey? Were we not once camera buddies?

"A referendum sends a clear message to the university about how students feel on the matter." -- true, but what would be so wrong with the SRA doing their duty and representing students on the issue. Azim has written something about where the msu is sitting on this. That is why I'd encourage you anyone to go and speak to him or your SRA reps about what has/is being done.

Last edited by temara.brown : 11-01-2008 at 09:00 PM.