MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course reviews/Business minor questions Leeoku Academics 4 09-08-2011 01:44 PM
1st year business student, questions about math ? alexandria Introduce Yourself 4 08-18-2011 08:10 PM
Software/Hardware/Business/Music Guys - want to help start a business? benjs Volunteering Opportunities 2 12-11-2010 09:05 PM
Prospective Business Student With Some Questions T-Core First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-08-2010 03:19 PM
questions about electives for business leve 1 maren3614 Academics 2 06-27-2008 08:49 AM

business 1 questions!

Old 03-07-2014 at 03:04 PM   #1
sidra_

Liked: 2 Times

business 1 questions!
i got into Mac biz yesterday and i had a few questions:

1. my first question is really big so here's the link: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...7.html?t=91217

2. how are the internships? do you know anybody that has taken the non-credit course and still not get an internship? (and do you know the reason why they didn't get it?)

3. do you need to get a certain GPA to specialize in something? (like is there a limited enrollment for a specialization e.g. finance, accounting etc?) (i know it's something like that for life sci and enviro sci but i'm not sure if it applies to commerce as well..)

4. i heard Mac is accredited for accounting (ICAO) and what i have heard is that you get to skip some CA exam or something (i'm not sure). can anybody shed some light on this?

and thanks
Old 03-07-2014 at 04:47 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

2. If by "no-credit course" you mean 1PA0, everyone takes that course and not everyone does an internship. If you mean a different course, then please specify.

3. http://ug.degroote.mcmaster. ca/academic-programs/ You can read about it in more detail there, but "there are no specialized majors."
Old 03-07-2014 at 05:11 PM   #3
sidra_

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
2. If by "no-credit course" you mean 1PA0, everyone takes that course and not everyone does an internship. If you mean a different course, then please specify.
i mean 3IN0

Last edited by sidra_ : 03-07-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2014 at 06:14 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidra_ View Post
i got into Mac biz yesterday and i had a few questions:

1. my first question is really big so here's the link: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...7.html?t=91217

2. how are the internships? do you know anybody that has taken the non-credit course and still not get an internship? (and do you know the reason why they didn't get it?)

3. do you need to get a certain GPA to specialize in something? (like is there a limited enrollment for a specialization e.g. finance, accounting etc?) (i know it's something like that for life sci and enviro sci but i'm not sure if it applies to commerce as well..)

4. i heard Mac is accredited for accounting (ICAO) and what i have heard is that you get to skip some CA exam or something (i'm not sure). can anybody shed some light on this?

and thanks
1. I just posted an answer on that thread.

2. I haven't been on internship yet but I've only heard great things about it. I will be doing it next year. Some people just take 3IN0 either to get the career help (the course is quite cheap compared to credit courses), but many are unsure if they want to do the internship program yet, so they sign up anyways. There are, however, people who want internships but aren't able to find jobs. In some areas such as accounting and finance, this is possible because it is more competitive, but I haven't been through iit myself so I don't know.

3. It's technically considers a "focus" and no a specialization (don't know why). I don't believe there is any grade requirement to my knowledge, but you do need a 5 to continue onto "Honours Commerce", which realistically everyone should be doing.

4. Yes, DeGroote is ICAO accredited, but I haven't heard anything about skipping any CPA exams. All I know is that regardless of where you go to school, you have one hell of an exam to go through in order to get your CPA designation (CA will no longer exist by the time you graduate).