MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
Business I Help! gamer105 Academics 1 01-26-2011 12:53 AM
Software/Hardware/Business/Music Guys - want to help start a business? benjs Volunteering Opportunities 2 12-11-2010 09:05 PM
Mac Business I :D MTK3 Introduce Yourself 5 06-24-2010 01:43 AM

Business

Old 09-20-2014 at 08:31 PM   #1
vfernando_

Liked: 0 Times

Business
How strong is McMaster's business program?
Would I be better off going to Queens or Ivey rather than DeGroote?
Also, do you think it would be of poor judgement for me to apply to the program only have taken 1 business course-Introductory To Business-back in grade 9?
I've always thought i'd take the science route but business suddenly seems appealing to me.
Thank you in advance
Old 09-20-2014 at 09:38 PM   #2
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

I would say mac does have a solid business program; however, if you have the financial resources than definitely consider Ivey. A great thing is, if you're not sure yet you can complete your first 2 years at any university in pretty much any program and then transfer for year 3 and 4 into Ivey business. A great program they offer is the dual degree option. So you can complete 2 years in a science program anywhere and then transfer to Ivey for a dual degree in business/science. Only downside is tuition of 20k+ a year. But it is very advantageous to hold a dual degree in business / science, engineering, etc. So you can still take the science route and add on a business degree.

Or another option if you're willing to put up with it, is get your science degree if that interests you and then add on a MBA from DeGroote or Ivey. An MBA you can obtain after any undergraduate program, but if you do an undergrad in business and then decide you want a science degree, then your looking at going through it again for 4 years.

Other than that, maybe also look into Shulich business school. They have a great business program as well.

And no you'll be fine if you didn't do any business courses in high school. First two years will be all introductory courses. If you have previous knowledge than yes that might make it a little bit easier, but you will be fine either way.
Old 09-20-2014 at 09:49 PM   #3
vfernando_

The thing with Ivey is that it isn't McMaster. LOL I fell in love with McMaster after a trip there last year. But then again, I've yet to have seen Western in the flesh

The 2+2 thing kind of worries me partially because it seems like the business degree would be very condensed considering you only get 2 years, meaning that you don't have as much knowledge as a person who did a full 4 year program, am I wrong?

I've heard mixed reviews about Schulich, I don't know if I like York. It's great because it's close and would save me from paying residence fees but I like more of a community type feel.
Old 09-20-2014 at 10:02 PM   #4
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

I think McMaster does have the best atmosphere from all of those options, I've spoken to people from different universities who do say that they like the feel of mac more compared to their university.

First year business is actually very open, you will mostly be taken elective courses from like arts, science, history, economics, etc. Not very business oriented. Second year you will start taking more of the intro courses like finance, marketing, accounting. I can't comment on the Ivey curriculum, but since it is condensed to only two years, I would assume they expect prior knowledge and it might be more difficult.

I guess your best bet would be to do 2 years at mac and then in that time you'll get a sense of how its going. If you feel its easy and your interest in business is high, then you might consider transferring. You'll also have great opportunities to talk to professor, students, and business professionals regarding their opinions.
Old 09-21-2014 at 08:59 AM   #5
vfernando_

Do you happen to know anything about their standpoint when it comes to internships and recruitment upon graduation?

Maybe I should also ask about McMaster's life sci program while i'm at it. Do you think its equivalent to say, Med sci at Western?

I was thinking if I were to choose Western and get in, I would do the 2 years of Med sci and depending on how I feel towards the program at the end of the two years, I would either stay with it or continue on to Ivey (if I were to get AEO)

Also, do you think I should go to Fall Preview day or should I go to May @ Mac when the time comes?

Thank you so much by the way!