MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor in business mfattal General Discussion 8 01-18-2012 12:27 AM
Course reviews/Business minor questions Leeoku Academics 4 09-08-2011 01:44 PM
Engineering + Business Minor ritsma First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2010 01:45 PM
Business students' minor? xhorizon General Discussion 11 11-25-2009 12:32 AM
Switching from Business Minor to Major? potatopotato First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 11-23-2009 07:10 PM

Business or Econ Minor?

Old 02-20-2012 at 10:24 PM   #1
chi0

Liked: 1 Time

Business or Econ Minor?
So I'm in Biochemistry and I want to go into the biotech industry. I'm strongly considering doing an MBA sometime after undergrad since I ultimately want to end up in a management position in a company. I was going to do a business minor (I've already taken both econs and organizational behaviour) but I realized that might be redundant with an MBA. My alternative is minoring in Economics, which is still relevant to business but it includes courses I wouldn't normally take doing an MBA. I already know that some undergrad business courses can transfer over to grad school but I would rather take them in the context of an MBA than in undergrad. Should I switch to Econ or keep going with Business? I'm also planning to go into co-op and part of the reason I want to stick with business is so that I can learn those skills (i.e. accounting) now in case it might open doors for me at a placement. Does anyone have any advice/thoughts about this? Any comments would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-21-2012 at 12:17 AM   #2
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Hey Wendy. I just thought it's good to bump this. Don't you hate how Felicia enticed us with that potential Biochem Business Specialization? I sure did. It got me excited for nothing. The first thing she probably should've said is that it can't affect us at all.

Old 02-21-2012 at 12:49 AM   #3
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I can't really speak about this with great authority because I'm not in Biochem/Business/Econ but I do remember reading something about Commerce minors being limited.

That may/may not affect your decision. Also, just judging by your post, you seem to be leaning towards Econ, so...yeah...

Hope this helps a little bit.
Old 02-21-2012 at 08:32 AM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

I went to a career night at the start of the year and one of the speakers talked about going from science to a more business based setting, he really talked up the masters program he did, sounded pretty interesting. Here is the link http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/mbiotech/
Old 02-22-2012 at 08:18 PM   #5
chi0

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks for the comments guys

Justin - Yeah I felt the same way but I talked to her later and they really haven't started trying to implement the program yet. Right now it's just an idea. If (and it's a big if) it does end up happening it'll be waaaaaay down the road (my guess would be as long as it took her to finish her PhD ).

Sukhpreet could you elaborate on Commerce Minors being limited? I would imagine that any sort of minor is limited to some extent.

Philip - I've actually run into the Mbiotech program at UTM before but it seems like it's pretty limited in both science and business. The lab courses look exactly like what I'm doing in second year of undergrad and at the same time you don't come out with an MBA. What sort of job did that speaker have?

justinsftw likes this.
Old 02-23-2012 at 08:39 AM   #6
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

I believe he was doing some sort of Clinical Trials management
Edit: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/scc...bal-operations
It was that guy^

Last edited by Philipp31 : 02-23-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2012 at 12:54 PM   #7
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi0 View Post
Sukhpreet could you elaborate on Commerce Minors being limited? I would imagine that any sort of minor is limited to some extent.
Sorry, looking back my original message wasn't very clear.

What I meant was that I had heard that there were limited spots for the Business minor. However, I went and looked and it turns out that there are limited spots for non-commerce students in the commerce classes needed to get the minor, not the minor itself.

"Enrolment in each of the Commerce courses comprising the Business Minor, (excluding students registered in Engineering and Management, Commerce and Labour Studies students enrolled in COMMERCE 2BA3 and 3BC3 and students admitted to the Minor in Finance and the Minor in Accounting and Financial Management Services) is limited to 40 students who are registered in a four- or five-level McMaster degree program. Places in these courses will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis."
Source.