MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Websites To Buy Used Books (and some tips!) lorend Buying Textbooks (new/used) & Courseware Tips 14 09-04-2012 03:45 PM
Buying textbooks online (Ebay, Amazon) lululand Academics 6 09-08-2010 06:40 PM
buying books viky Academics 23 08-22-2009 08:28 PM
Buying used books? windandwater General Discussion 14 08-20-2008 10:45 AM
Buying Books Goce Academics 3 01-08-2008 01:24 PM

Buying Books on EBay/Amazon?

Old 09-16-2010 at 03:26 PM   #1
mse369

Liked: 9 Times

Buying Books on EBay/Amazon?
Since I got screwed over by Titles last year, I thought maybe it's a better idea to get my books from elsewhere. And well I was looking at amazon and my books were a lot cheaper! Then I started looking at EBay and all the books were sooooo much cheaper! Like my Math book is around $180 from titles but from ebay it's like $60 with free shipping to Canada and only takes 5-7 days shipping.

So my question is.. has anyone ever tried this out? I don't wanna get hustled haha

Thanks in advance
Old 09-16-2010 at 03:38 PM   #2
elvindsouza

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mse369 View Post
Since I got screwed over by Titles last year, I thought maybe it's a better idea to get my books from elsewhere. And well I was looking at amazon and my books were a lot cheaper! Then I started looking at EBay and all the books were sooooo much cheaper! Like my Math book is around $180 from titles but from ebay it's like $60 with free shipping to Canada and only takes 5-7 days shipping.

So my question is.. has anyone ever tried this out? I don't wanna get hustled haha

Thanks in advance

I have done that and am still doing that. just make sure you read the reviews of the seller. also, most of these books are international editions. so, the cover maybe different and the book mayb printed in b/w. Also, when doing the payment ask the seller to mark it as under $20 so you can avoid extra charges by customs.
Old 09-16-2010 at 03:42 PM   #3
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

I got an international text off ebay last year, although a couple days after I paid ebay notified me that the seller had been removed due to violating copyright law, I still got the book. It was good quality and cheap, although black and white.

as long as the seller looks good enough, and reviews are positive, I don't see any reason not to buy from there.
Old 09-16-2010 at 08:30 PM   #4
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

amazon.ca is pretty good if you order from the site itself, they ship from toronto so super fast
Old 09-16-2010 at 08:34 PM   #5
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

I've bought 3 books this year from people out of country and haven't been charged customs yet.
Old 09-16-2010 at 08:44 PM   #6
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

First year bio and chem sets are sold on MacInsiders for about $60-$70 each. I got them for about $15 each on Amazon. Amazon is your friend. (:
Old 09-16-2010 at 08:45 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Welcome to the world of International Editions.
Old 09-16-2010 at 08:48 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You can also get books a lot cheaper at Chapters/Indigo for non-Sci/Eng/Healt Sci classes.

You can also get them cheaper at moarbooks and digital copies. More info: http://talentegg.ca/launch/2010/01/h...-on-textbooks/

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-16-2010 at 08:55 PM   #9
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

IF PURCHASING FROM THE UNITED STATES, AVOID UPS AND FEDEX.

YOU WILL GET CHARGED BROKERAGE FEE'S!

Try to go with USPS , aka united states postal service, which is the equivalent to canada post.

They are a bit slower but hey, you will save brokerage fee's.

Trust me , ive never got brokerage fee's with usps, even with purchases up to $300.

I used UPS ONCE when I was a noob at online buying...

I bought something off ebay for 150, they charged me 55$ in brokerage fee's, if you research ups and brokerage fee's, some people even get charged 80% of their item!

anyways its usually 10days if your ordering from the states, can you put aside another week or two without a book? I just got one used and i gotta get started on math this weekend.

I got my book for $65 and it was 183 at tank.
Old 09-17-2010 at 06:45 PM   #10
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Another glowing review for Amazon... got a used, admittedly well used but whatever, Stats book for $14 (10 + shipping). Used from Titles was $92 iirc.
Online all the way.
Old 09-17-2010 at 06:46 PM   #11
elvindsouza

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
Another glowing review for Amazon... got a used, admittedly well used but whatever, Stats book for $14 (10 + shipping). Used from Titles was $92 iirc.
Online all the way.
for which stats is this?
Old 09-17-2010 at 06:51 PM   #12
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvindsouza View Post
for which stats is this?
Stats for math resistant brains - Soc Sci 2J03.