buying textbook with student card? gongshow Academics 5 08-17-2010 04:16 PM
Buying Used iClickers Shangrila General Discussion 9 05-07-2009 12:33 AM

Buying textbook

Old 07-28-2010 at 01:17 PM   #1
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Buying textbook
Lets say I wanted to buy a brand new textbook where would be the best place to buy it?
And how many book stores are there in campus aside from titles

Last edited by cjdzl : 07-28-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2010 at 01:29 PM   #2
dani.garc

Liked: 0 Times

Titles is the only local place to buy brand new textbooks. But I wouldn't recommend doing that. Look for used ones from Titles or even better, from people in upper years.
Old 07-28-2010 at 01:33 PM   #3
drex

Liked: Liked 4 Times

in regards to other book stores on campus, theres the Tank (used books), and another store in the basement of the MUSC (student center), also a used book store. Sorry, i don't know where else you could buy a brand new textbook.

Also the 'Marketplace' on macinsiders is a great place to find used textbooks - often in mint condition
hope that helps
Old 07-28-2010 at 01:38 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Old 07-28-2010 at 01:41 PM   #5
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

There's also one in HSC, Mediashop. That's for Health Science students only though.

I find the best place to search for used textbooks is online at Titles Classifieds.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 07-28-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2010 at 01:51 PM   #6
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drex View Post
in regards to other book stores on campus, theres the Tank (used books), and another store in the basement of the MUSC (student center), also a used book store. Sorry, i don't know where else you could buy a brand new textbook.

Also the 'Marketplace' on macinsiders is a great place to find used textbooks - often in mint condition
hope that helps
Well, the Tank is under Titles. It sells upper year books, and first year books after the Sep/Jan rush. In terms of on-campus bookstores, there's really only one store where you can buy your books. If you want a better deal, you'll have to go searching online yourself (as stated before). Another option is looking at sites like Amazon or Chapters/Indigo, which might sell the books for cheaper.

Honestly though, you don't need to buy a brand new textbook. Used textbooks are often in a good enough condition.

P.S. The used bookstore in the basement of MUSC doesn't exist anymore.
Old 07-28-2010 at 01:52 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drex View Post

hope that helps
The Tank sells new as well as used books--most of the upper-year books are there. The other used book store you're referring to, in the basement of the student centre, was Undercovers but they shut down at the end of last year.

You can also look at amazon and ebay, although i tried that once last year and the textbook was about 5 times the price Titles was selling it for...depends on the book though, and how much demand there is for it.
Old 07-28-2010 at 03:24 PM   #8
naimaa

Liked: 6 Times

Amazon and the tank have usually worked for me.

Amazon is great for new books at a cheaper price.