MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Textbooks? Driftking24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-30-2011 06:51 PM
Buying Textbooks LindsayL216 Academics 10 07-28-2011 12:41 PM
Buying Textbooks (new and used) cjordan MacInsiders Announcements 2 12-31-2010 12:59 PM

Buying textbooks?

Old 07-04-2014 at 10:03 PM   #1
sniper96

Liked: 1 Time

Buying textbooks?
Is there a specific time I should start looking into purchasing textbooks? Is it once I get my time table or once my professors specify which edition of which textbook they want you to use?

I heard buying used textbooks is the way to go. People don't like rip out random pages right? lol

Also are pdfs for mac textbooks easily accessible?

LAST QUESTION: for chem1a03, bio1a03, physics 1l03, anthro1a03, psych 1xx3, math 1b03, econ 1b03, math 1ls3, chem 1aa3, bio 1m03 would you recommend buying a textbook for each of these or is it unnecessary for some?

Thanks a lot
Old 07-04-2014 at 10:14 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

You should start looking once you get the course outline, so basically once school starts in September.
Everyone recommends used textbooks because they are much cheaper and you save a lot of money. However, you should be aware that some courses have access codes/online assignments that are only found in new textbooks.
Best of luck in September!

sniper96 says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 07-04-2014 at 10:30 PM   #3
sniper96

oh thanks for the heads up, I hadn't considered that. And thank you
Old 07-05-2014 at 08:27 AM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Hi Sniper96

Welcome to MacInsiders! Great question.

You DON'T want to be buying books yet. Mainly because the book list is not out yet, but even when it comes out... there is no rush to buy books. I'd wait until your first day of class especially for electives you took, because sometimes you don't need every book on the book list for each class, and also remember... you might not like the elective class you're in and want to switch out of it during the add/drop period (where you can go back into SOLAR and change your elective, drop a class you didn't like and take a different one). And if you do that, you're stuck with a textbook you now don't need.

The only real advantage to buying early, is that the textbook store has a limited number of USED textbooks that they sell, and sometimes they can run out of those used textbooks for popular classes.. so then you'd have to look on MacInsiders or FB to find used, or buy the higher priced new book from the bookstore. But that scenario is usually not often, since there's normally lots of used textbooks available on MacInsiders Marketplace.

Read the article here where I share all my tips for buying textbooks:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...7.html?t=62527

And see here for where to buy:
http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisp...-tips-189.html

sniper96 says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 07-05-2014 at 12:46 PM   #5
sniper96

okay I'll wait. Less for me to worry about now, anyway and thanks for the resources!
Old 07-05-2014 at 06:38 PM   #6
LTHL

Liked: 2 Times

Keep in mind that access codes are not mandatory. They're usually worth 5-15% and can usually be shifted to the exam. I recommend not buying it and try your best to do well on the midterms and exam. If anything, ask a classmate if you can have a look over their access code and practicing it along with them. Since you listed all first yr courses, it's quite easy to find used textbooks on fb or on macinsiders. Def recommend buying the recent biology textbooks (used or brand new depending on the course outline).
Old 07-07-2014 at 03:08 PM   #7
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Once you have the course outline/ speak to the prof. Sometimes, you don't even truly need it. Most of the time, you can TORRENT the textbook for free, or find an online version of it.

However, some textbooks are actually require like if it's a coursepack that blends directly with the lecture material. Sometimes, people would just rather have the hardcopy of the book as personal preference.
Old 07-07-2014 at 09:30 PM   #8
pmariano

Liked: 0 Times

yes it is best to wait till you receive a course outline that specifies which textbooks will be needed and all that... as well some of the forums talk about the multiple classes and will help guide you in direction if the textbook is worth it or not...