MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calculating Grade Average MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 04-29-2011 11:01 PM
calculating GPA average Mango First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 04-11-2010 12:42 AM
calculating approximate final exam marks xo.monica Academics 1 01-08-2010 08:56 PM
Calculating Course Mark rossignol First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 12-12-2009 05:47 PM

Calculating Before Exam Average

Old 04-11-2011 at 09:45 AM   #16
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Fwiw, there are several apps for iPhone and I'm sure android and BB as well. It's sort of handy to have it all in one place.
Old 04-11-2011 at 10:37 AM   #17
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
For anyone in first year Life Sci, the one I made might help you:

Attachment 3291

Thanks for the idea Farid
haha thx a lot, id would be awsome if u could put a tutorial up on how to make that

the only diff is that i have econ 1b03 and i cant figure out how to add in all those quizes and stuff into the spread sheet

.... also r u sure ur calc is correct in this... from what i see in the section which shows mark going into exam and mark needed on exam to get the certain levels.... well im not doing as bad as i thought...in other words my marks are a bit higher then expected

Last edited by Chevalier : 04-11-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2011 at 11:52 AM   #18
AgentTMa

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
haha thx a lot, id would be awsome if u could put a tutorial up on how to make that

the only diff is that i have econ 1b03 and i cant figure out how to add in all those quizes and stuff into the spread sheet

.... also r u sure ur calc is correct in this... from what i see in the section which shows mark going into exam and mark needed on exam to get the certain levels.... well im not doing as bad as i thought...in other words my marks are a bit higher then expected
haha thats why if you followed my way of doing it, it will be faster and easier.

im in econ 1b03 so i know hehe, basically she takes the 5 best quizzes so lets say you got 5/10 on all of them, so if you add that up you get 25/50 and for this example you can calculate the grade without calc but lets say it was a trickier fraction, anyways put x/y into calc, so you have 50% on the quizzes, and they are worth 10% i believe or 5% w.e the point is if its 10% of final grade then you take 50 and multiply it by 0.10 if its 5% then 50*0.05 and lets say it was worth 10% final grade, so you have 5% of a potential 10% for your quizzes.

for assignments she also takes the 5 best, so do the same thing add up all the marks.

e.g. could be 16/20, 19/20, 19/20, 20/20, 18/20

add those fractions up and get x/100, im too lazy to go add them up but yea. these are numerical examples.

and then divide x/100, where x is w.e your mark is on all the assigmments. and lets say you got 87% or 76% or w.e take that and multiply by the weight of the assigments similar for the quizzes. i think i remembee the breakdown now, i think quizzes are 5% and assigments are 10%

so take w.e x/100 is and multiply by 0.10 and you get a mark.

for midterms its easier cuz you dont need to add up tons of marks. cuz you simply got like i dunno what it was out of, lets say 45/55 you take that find out the answer and multiply by .20 for the higher mark midterm like the one you did better on, and then by .15 for the lower test. and so all that combined is 50%(quizzes, assigmments, midterms)

and so of a potential 50% lets say you only got 40% of it. so you're mark is 40% and you need to get 10% more to pass. final exam is worth 50% of final grade.
Old 04-11-2011 at 12:01 PM   #19
Chevalier
Elite Member

haha thx... i sort of managed my way around, i used his bio thing as a template and kept the formulas in there but just plugged in the weights and precentages for econ

worked out for the best....now to go and work my ass of and get me that mark i want !!!
Old 04-11-2011 at 12:42 PM   #20
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:

It's really just going into the final result cell and typing out an equal sign, followed by a formula with the variables being the cell name (i.e. A1, B3, etc.). It's the same formula you would use in calculating marks.
Old 04-11-2011 at 01:44 PM   #21
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Here's the one I made first semester, I took ECON 1B03 so hopefully the marking scheme is the same

Semester One Marks.xls

Chevalier says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.
Old 04-11-2011 at 01:49 PM   #22
AgentTMa

why do you need excel in order to do simple calculations?
Old 04-11-2011 at 01:52 PM   #23
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat9 View Post
why do you need excel in order to do simple calculations?
You mistake convenience for stupidity. It's a lot easier to have your marks in one place and add on them throughout the semester then repeat the same calculations over and over.

Obviously if I can make this excel sheet I can do those simple calculations.

Chevalier likes this.
Old 04-11-2011 at 02:03 PM   #24
AgentTMa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
You mistake convenience for stupidity. It's a lot easier to have your marks in one place and add on them throughout the semester then repeat the same calculations over and over.

Obviously if I can make this excel sheet I can do those simple calculations.
Sorry if my post above made it seem like i was calling you stupid, i was simply curious why people don't just calculate their marks as soon as they get them. or just do it all at the end of the year in one step and be alot faster :p

e.g. if i got 78% on my test worth 25%. just immediatley take 78*.25 or if it was in fractions. find out what 78/100 is and then *.25

or just add up all your marks at end of semester maybe 167/200 and that was all worth 70% of ur mark and your final exam is worth 30% :p

i guess its just preference right?
Old 04-11-2011 at 02:30 PM   #25
Chevalier
Elite Member

haha excel just makes it a whole lot easier to work with and a lot easier to look at and understnad, its a whole lot more convinent id say then doing the math for everything on a piece of paper
Old 04-11-2011 at 02:37 PM   #26
AgentTMa

Quote:
haha excel just makes it a whole lot easier to work with and a lot easier to look at and understnad, its a whole lot more convinent id say then doing the math for everything on a piece of paper
i simply just use a calc. no paper needed :p login avenue pull up the marks e.g. 48/50, 47/60 or w.e and add them up and look at the weights and punch in calculator. cuz punching calc is faster with the awesome feature ANS where you can take answer and calculate answers with it.