MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calculators dlee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 26 08-14-2010 09:00 PM
Calculating Variance using our calculators Kira Computers & Tech 3 06-17-2010 04:42 PM
TI Graphing calculators enov First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 07-29-2009 10:02 PM
Calculators for Engineers ingénieur.xo Computers & Tech 14 08-09-2007 10:58 PM

?! Calculators

Old 08-10-2009 at 09:32 PM   #1
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

?! Calculators
I am going to be taking MATH 1K03 (intro calc. for hum, socsci, and business) in first term, and then MATH 1M03 (calc. for hum, socsci, and business) in second term.

I was wondering if there was a specific calculator I needed for these courses, and/or other materials. I currently use a Texas Instruments TI-30X IIs calculator, which is AMAZING, in my opinion.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2009 at 09:35 PM   #2
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

The McMaster approved calculator is the Casio fx991.

xo.monica says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.
Old 08-10-2009 at 09:59 PM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
The McMaster approved calculator is the Casio fx991.
Which means you can't use any other calculator on tests/exams... so you pretty much have no choice but to get it and learn how to use it.

xo.monica says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 08-10-2009 at 10:16 PM   #4
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Unfortunately you can only use the one calculator Mac allows... You can buy it at Titles though, if you don't know where to look.

This might be helpful too =)
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2267 2

xo.monica says thanks to Ivan Q. for this post.
Old 08-10-2009 at 10:22 PM   #5
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Really?!
Omg, that sucks!
Ive had that calculator since grade 9 =[
blah. guess I'll have to get that one, then.

Thannk you, all! =]
Old 08-10-2009 at 10:27 PM   #6
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

I have casio FX-570ES and i dont want to buy FX-991 becuase its exactly the same
Its only that in North America Casio prints "115ES"
In Europe Casio prints "991ES" on them.
And the rest of the world Casio prints "570ES"

and here is a link http://www.casio.com.tw/resource/fil...Appen dix.pdf that shows that the guide to use it and the specifications are the same except its for diffrent parts of the world i bought it back home and i dont have enough money to buy a new one please help me what to do

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-10-2009 at 11:17 PM   #7
chaudhary.ak

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by noor_toglaw View Post
PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

I have casio FX-570ES and i dont want to buy FX-991 becuase its exactly the same

and here is a link http://www.casio.com.tw/resource/fil...Appen dix.pdf that shows that the guide to use it and the specifications are the same except its for diffrent parts of the world i bought it back home and i dont have enough money to buy a new one please help me what to do

hey personally i will buy FX-991 because most of the TA's wont go nd look online if its actually the same, they will jst ask u to giv ur test/exam without calculator or if they r nice enough they will ask if someone has an extra one.
Old 08-10-2009 at 11:19 PM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

Well, if it's the same calculator, with the exeption of a different number screened onto it, then I don't think you'll have a huge problem (if it looks identical, then you most likely won't have a problem, since I've never experienced anyone looking too closely at calculators.... they just look to see that they appear the way they're supposed to)

If it looks different in any way however, you might have a harder time.
Old 08-11-2009 at 12:14 AM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It looks very different from the 991, so I would buy the casio FX-991 just to be safe!
PS_ I got mine on sale last year for about hmm, $15?
Old 08-11-2009 at 12:17 AM   #10
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

noooo sara they look the same I am talking about the FX-991 ES not MS I am goonna use ES ... the only differenace is the display MS uses the math display while the ES uses natural display ES is silver while MS is dark blue color ! so I guess we can use the ES since it has nothing extra in terms of feautres trust me please guys tell me if i can use the silver one or no !???

Old 08-11-2009 at 12:26 AM   #11
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
noooo sara they look the same I am talking about the FX-991 ES not MS I am goonna use ES ... the only differenace is the display MS uses the math display while the ES uses natural display ES is silver while MS is dark blue color ! so I guess we can use the ES since it has nothing extra in terms of feautres trust me please guys tell me if i can use the silver one or no !???
I'm saying that if it looks different (which you admit that it's a different colour) then you will probably have a hard time getting away with using it. I predict you would have to explain the situation almost every time you have a test/exam, and you may end up being forced to take an exam/test without a calculator.

I would strongly recommend buying the local version of the calculator to be safe.
Old 08-11-2009 at 12:30 AM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Ooh sorry about that noor, I looked it up online. You're right the features of the actual calculator are the exact same! If only the colour wasn't so different :(. I agree with Ben, try to get "accepted" calculator to avoid you having a hard time with every TA/exam and such :(. You wouldn't want to explain that to them every single time:(
Old 08-11-2009 at 09:35 PM   #13
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

Just make sure with the professor. Usually if it is the same exact or even older model they will let you use it.
Old 08-11-2009 at 10:19 PM   #14
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

so the other question is ... is the ES model allowed or just the MS cuz i hate the MS display i cant read it proberly the only difference is the display and the color the ES is hot silver so anyone with same calculator ??? ist allowed and approved like the 911MS ??? please tell me guys

Old 08-12-2009 at 12:07 AM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
so the other question is ... is the ES model allowed or just the MS cuz i hate the MS display i cant read it proberly the only difference is the display and the color the ES is hot silver so anyone with same calculator ??? ist allowed and approved like the 911MS ??? please tell me guys
Umm :S, Like everyone mentionned above, it's safer to go with the MS, especially since they look so different from each other-blue versus silver.