MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Sharing The Casio FX-991 Calculator! Desda Academics 15 09-15-2010 06:38 AM
Casio fx-991MS+ selling for $17.91! Agni Student Deals & Discounts 9 09-10-2010 09:22 AM
quadratic eqn on casio fx991ms cellphone Academics 2 06-07-2010 05:35 PM
Casio FX-991ES or Casio FX991MS ? endearing66 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-31-2009 01:52 PM
Casio Fx991 Es Mephisto Academics 13 09-17-2008 01:31 PM

Getting the Most Out of Your Casio fx-911MS

Getting the Most Out of Your Casio fx-911MS

BY MIKE PARCHIMOWICZ, MACINSIDERS CONTRIBUTOR

A recent calculator thread has gotten me thinking: most people don't know how to use their calculator!

Almost exclusively, every time I've tutored or been asked for some assistance by a McMaster student, I suggest that they use a certain feature that they didn't even know was possible.

First, it should be noted that this is the only calculator that most professors/courses will allow you to use on a test.

Why is this? Because if one student has a hardcore $1200 calculator that can do calculus for them, then they have an unfair advantage. This is Mac's way of levelling the playing field.

Picture: (Make sure you purchase the right one! It is the only calculator that Titles Bookstore sells)

What can't my Casio FX-991ms do?

While there are many things it can't do, such as fly, cure cancer, or ensure a good grade, the one thing I wanted to point out is that it cannot graph functions. Other calculators, like the TI-84 have this capability, and I think it's worth mention.

What are some things I can do on my Casio FX-991ms?

NOTE: I will not be posting an exhaustive list here...if you're curious as to some of the really amazing things your calculator can do, when you purchase(d) it, you got a little white 'booklet' that can tell you how to do crazy things like working with matrices and limited derivative/integration, estimation support. These are obscure, and in my opinion (having done a lot of math), unnecessary. If you understand how to take a derivative/integrate you can probably do it quicker than learning how to use this function. Either way, it's in the white booklet thing if you're keen on learning.

So what am I going to explain?

0) How do I clear all of my calculator's data?

Press [SHIFT] then [MODE]. Make the appropriate selection. Pressing [3] will clear everything, and put you calculator exactly as it was when you bought it.

1) ****IMPORTANT: Angle-Measure
Your calculator, as many do, has three settings: Degrees, Radians and Gradians.
Degrees: A circle contains 360 degrees
Radians: A circle contains 2pi radians
Gradians: A circle contains 400 gradians.

ENSURE you have your calculator set to the proper unit of measure because your answers can be completely thrown off if you don't. A common mistake is for people to leave the calculator in degrees when they should have radians.

How do I change between them?:

Press [MODE] 4 times, your calculator should display:
Code:
Deg Rad Gra 1 2 3
Press the appropriate number to select the correct measure.

2) How do I input TT?

Press [SHIFT] and then the [EXP] Button.

3) How do I use Scientific Notation?

In many science courses, such as chemistry, scientific notation and significant figures are of utmost importance. It is possible for your calculator to interpret, and display scientific notation.

a) When inputting numbers into your fx-991MS, the [EXP] button will produce a letter E. This stands for "*10^"

So how do I input say, Avogadro's Number, 6.02*10^23 into the calculator?

Hit [6], then [.] then [0] [2] then [EXP], then [2], [3] and then [=]. Your display will display 6.02E23.

b) In order to have your calculator display answers in scientific notation, press [MODE] 5 times. Your calculator will display:
Code:
Fix Sci Norm 1 2 3
Press [2]. It will show Sci 0~9? It is asking how many placeholder digits you would like. Press any number [0] through [9]. Try it out, and see what you're comfortable with...I generally use [0].

To return your calculator to its normal function, press [MODE] once, then press [1] (to select COMP).

4) How do I solve systems of equations with my calculator?

A system of equations is anything of the form:

a1x + b1y + c1z = d1
a2x + b2y + c2z = d2
a3x + b3y + c3z = d3

Press [MODE] 3 times. It will display:

Code:
EQN MAT VCT 1 2 3
Press [1]. The calculator will ask whether you wish to solve for 2 unknowns or 3. If your equation only has an x and a y, press 2, if it is a system of 3 equations, press 3.

You will then proceed to input the coefficients a1, b1, c1, d1 and a2, b2, c2, d2 as I labelled above. Press enter after entering each. You will then see a display saying "x=" and a number. Scroll down by pressing the down arrow, to see "y=" (and "z=" if applicable)

To return your calculator to its normal function, press [MODE] once, then press [1] (to select COMP).

5) How do I solve polynomial equations with my calculator?

A polynomial equation is an equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0..specifically, your calculator can use the quadratic formula (which has no x^3 term), and even the cubic formula to solve polynomials of degree 2 and 3.

To use this feature, Press [MODE] 3 times. As above, it will display:

Code:
EQN MAT VCT 1 2 3
Press [1]. Then press the right arrow. The calculator will ask whether you wish to solve a degree 2 or degree 3 polynomial. Make the appropriate selection.

You will then be asked to input the coefficients, a,b,c and d if applicable. The calculator will solve for the 'zeroes' aka. the roots aka. the x-values for which the graph of your polynomial touches the x axis.

6) How do I use complex numbers?

Any of the above functions can also be done with complex numbers. To input using complex numbers, Press [MODE] once. The calculator will show:

Code:
COMP CMPLX 1 2
Press [2]. Now you can input the imaginary number, "i" by pressing the ENG button, find the argument (arg) using the [(] button, the modulus, or absolute value (abs) using [)], and the Complex Conjugate (Conjg) using the ['] button.

7) How do I store numbers?

Your calculator can hold up to 6 numbers, which can be very useful if you find yourself constantly inputting the same numbers...like say you found that 19.54829% of people are blond, and need to use that number frequently in your calculation. It's quite tedious to keep inputting the same number, so to store the number, you can proceed as follows:

a) STORAGE: Input your number (or do whatever calculations produce your number), and press [=]. Then Press [ALPHA], [(-)] (for instance) and a letter A will appear. Press [ALPHA] [CALC] and an equals sign, = will appear. Press [Ans], and press [=].

b) RETRIEVAL: Press [ALPHA] and then [(-)]. Again, an A will appear, except this time your A is a placeholder for whatever number you have inputted in step a. So keeping with my example above, if I input 2 * A, My calculator will input 39.09658 (which is 2 * 19.54829).

8) How do I make use of the calculator's built in constants?

On your calculator's back cover, you will see a whole slew of constants. Press [CONST] and make your selection. You can use this exactly as if you had entered the entire number. For example, for planck's constant, Press [CONST], [0], [6] and press [=]. There are loads of formulae involving h so you may use this one a lot if you are in physics/chemistry.

***Important note*** You will always be asked to remove the back cover during tests and exams. This is because people often write 'cheat sheets' on them. So if you depend on this function, make sure you memorize the numbers of the important constants (or of course, their values)!

9) How do I use the calculator's unit conversion function?

Also on the back cover of your calculator are a series of unit conversions. Look for the appropriate one.

Example: Suppose I want to convert from inches to centimeters. If I want to see how many centimeters are in 5 inches, I simply do the following:

Press [5], [SHIFT], [CONST], [0],[1], [=].

I will then see that 5 inches = 12.7 cm.

***Important note*** You will always be asked to remove the back cover during tests and exams. This is because people often write 'cheat sheets' on them. So if you depend on this function, make sure you memorize the numbers of the important conversions!

----------------------

If there are any requests for specific functions on your calculator, please post a comment or PM me and I'll try to add it. These basics are extremely important and can really make your life easy if you're in science or engineering courses.

Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-02-2009 at 12:29 AM   #2
stevennn
Pro Lurker.
Program: Mechatronics Engineering and Management
Year: Fifth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 19 Times
One thing that really helps me is the SI prefixes built into the calculator (Shift 1-9) since I always used to lose marks for screwing up unit conversions. Most people I show this to are amazed by it.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-02-2009 at 12:37 AM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Great article! Sums up all the little catalogues that came with it, most of which I didn't bother to read >.<
Old 08-02-2009 at 01:05 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Storing numbers is the best. You can solve long equations really fast by storing numbers.

Old 08-03-2009 at 05:19 PM   #5
tiger
Account Disabled by User
Year: First

Liked: 2 Times
I'll be taking Math 1M03 this year, will I need my TI-84 Plus for the course or the Casio fx-911MS will do? I'm in business and I'm taking Math 1M03 in 2nd term, when should I buy the Casio calculator?

Last edited by tiger : 08-03-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-04-2009 at 01:38 AM   #6
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Liked: 529 Times
I don't think you need the TI-84 but the ability to graph functions (solely for the purposes of checking your work, you won't be allowed to use it on a test) may help you out while preparing for the tests. It really depends on how strong a math student you are, whether or not you need that extra function. Just about everything else can be done by the Casio fx-911MS.

As for when you should buy it, it really depends on your courseload. Being in business, you will probably take microeconomics in first term, which require calculators for their tests (I believe). So you may want to buy it first term for that course (and possibly any others).

Either way, I'd suggest buying it as soon as possible...you only have to buy it once, right?

tiger says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 08-04-2009 at 06:47 AM   #7
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times
Should I buy it from titles bookstore or can it be bought for cheaper anywhere else, since I've noticed that most things sold on campus are more expensive?
Old 08-04-2009 at 08:25 AM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Should I buy it from titles bookstore or can it be bought for cheaper anywhere else, since I've noticed that most things sold on campus are more expensive?
It's the same (if not more ) off campus. Around $20 on campus.

tiger says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 08-04-2009 at 11:50 AM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Depends how much patience you have. Titles charges about $20, like Dillon mentioned, and the cheapest I've ever seen it was at Canadian Tire for $15 or so (and this was long after I bought it).

If you have the patience to shop around and be thrifty, I doubt you'd find it for much cheaper than $15, if that...but check your local Canadian Tire, and see if they're still cheap. I wound up just buying it from Titles...$20 isn't that bad. (:

tiger says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 08-09-2009 at 11:38 AM   #10
nadia1
Program: Honours Life Science
Year: Second
Residence: Keyes 2010/2011

Liked: 3 Times
so i just bought a new calculator last year and its a sharp EL-520W, but is it true that mac profs only allow one to use the casio fx-911MS one?
would it be okay if i just used my sharp one next year, or is it recommended to buy the casio?
Old 08-09-2009 at 11:50 AM   #11
Sarah13
Program: Pharmacology
Year: Fourth
Residence: Brandon Alum!

Liked: 11 Times
If you plan to use your calculator on tests and exams, you NEED to use the Casio one. Although a prof/TA may recognize that using your Sharp calculator isn't giving you any advantage over those using a Casio calculator, exam invigilators are hardcore in terms of enforcing the rules. They are given a photocopy of what acceptable calculators look like, and if yours doesn't match that, then you're SOL.
Old 08-09-2009 at 12:04 PM   #12
Ethansaucier
Faculty: Science

Liked: 0 Times
I went to staples and couldn't find a casio fx-911 ms but there were a ton of casio fx-991 ms. Is the post a typo and it's supposed to be 991 or are they 2 separate calculators?
Old 08-09-2009 at 12:06 PM   #13
stevennn
Pro Lurker.
Program: Mechatronics Engineering and Management

Liked: 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethansaucier View Post
I went to staples and couldn't find a casio fx-911 ms but there were a ton of casio fx-991 ms. Is the post a typo and it's supposed to be 991 or are they 2 separate calculators?
It should be 991.
Old 08-09-2009 at 01:05 PM   #14
Mowicz
Elite Member

Hmm...I typed 991 ms throughout the entire article, except for the title, haha. Must've made a typo, sorry about that.

Can someone with the authority edit the title to "Getting the Most Out of Your Casio fx-991MS?"

-----------------------

I've invigilated some engineering/math exams in the past, and they really do expect you to use this calculator. They're so hardcore as to go around checking, and demanding that you remove your calculator's back cover (if you should happen to leave it on). They're not stupid about it though, and I even forgot my calculator once in first year and asked an invigilator if they had one I could borrow and after like 20 minutes they came back saying they've found one.

In Upper Years if you're taking math, and possibly some engineering courses, the class sizes get very small so the professor will personally invigilate your exams. In these cases, your prof may say 'I don't care what calculator you use' and you can use whichever calculator you want...but this usually just means a calculator won't help you that much.

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-09-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:19 PM   #15
Infinity
Elite Member
Program: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 93 Times
great stuff.

Article Tools