MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calculating Variance using our calculators Kira Computers & Tech 3 06-17-2010 04:42 PM
?! Calculators xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 08-12-2009 06:21 PM
TI Graphing calculators enov First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 07-29-2009 10:02 PM
Calculators for Engineers ingénieur.xo Computers & Tech 14 08-09-2007 10:58 PM

Calculators

Old 06-15-2010 at 02:05 PM   #16
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

No, I haven't really looked at the manual.
Probably why I don't know all this.
I should take a look, even though I don't have any math courses now. It's probably good to know.
Old 06-15-2010 at 02:08 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post
No, I haven't really looked at the manual.
Probably why I don't know all this.
I should take a look, even though I don't have any math courses now. It's probably good to know.
You don't really have to, it's something you can do while you are taking the course. Like, "hmm, I wonder if my calculator can do this calculation". Unless you have time to read it in the summer. But I would suggest to have fun! XD
Old 06-15-2010 at 07:25 PM   #18
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Careful with integration though. It takes a while.
In my math 1LS3 exam, I had a couple integrations to do and I had just recently figured out how to integrate with the calculator. So I finished a bit early and had some time left over, so I decided to integrate one of my problems for fun (and to check it).
That definite integral took me less than 2 min to do by hand. But took at least a minute to enter into the calculator. And then, after I pressed the enter button, it took 2 1/2 minutes to "calculate" the answer. (trust me, I timed it :p)
So if ur in a hurry, sometimes its faster to do by hand
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-15-2010 at 08:57 PM   #19
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
Careful with integration though. It takes a while.
In my math 1LS3 exam, I had a couple integrations to do and I had just recently figured out how to integrate with the calculator. So I finished a bit early and had some time left over, so I decided to integrate one of my problems for fun (and to check it).
That definite integral took me less than 2 min to do by hand. But took at least a minute to enter into the calculator. And then, after I pressed the enter button, it took 2 1/2 minutes to "calculate" the answer. (trust me, I timed it :p)
So if ur in a hurry, sometimes its faster to do by hand
Hey, you changed your username.

...But I can't remember what it used to be. =\

Anyway, for some reason I find it oddly satisfying to see my calculator take a long time to do something. The first time I wondered if I had broken it or something, but now it's just like "Yay, I'm providing a challenge to my calculator instead out spitting stuff it can calculate in milliseconds!"

I think the gamer in me is secretly hoping it will level up or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Ya, I recently got that working. It's pretty sweet. Although, I did it over wifi instead.
Damn it. You would.
Old 06-15-2010 at 09:08 PM   #20
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Lol you act just like my roommate who also is an engineer...

ENGINEERS ARE SO WEIRD

Entropy likes this.
Old 06-15-2010 at 09:13 PM   #21
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
Lol you act just like my roommate who also is an engineer...

ENGINEERS ARE SO WEIRD
You say that like it's a bad thing.

micadjems likes this.
Old 06-16-2010 at 01:22 AM   #22
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

I lost my manual :( which is probably why I didnt know it could do all that, lol.
Old 06-16-2010 at 02:28 AM   #23
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Hey, you changed your username.

...But I can't remember what it used to be. =\

Anyway, for some reason I find it oddly satisfying to see my calculator take a long time to do something. The first time I wondered if I had broken it or something, but now it's just like "Yay, I'm providing a challenge to my calculator instead out spitting stuff it can calculate in milliseconds!"

Damn it. You would.
The username used to be fish. I don't know why, but this is the second or third time I'm answering questions for Kevin. Consider me his unofficial spokesperson.
Old 06-16-2010 at 12:37 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh.jyoti View Post
I lost my manual :( which is probably why I didnt know it could do all that, lol.
I think you can access an online manual... Not completely sure though.
Old 08-14-2010 at 01:18 PM   #25
Achangetoday

Liked: 1 Time

is it ok to buy Casio FX991MS PLUS Scientific Calculator from staples for 23.91 for our classes.
Old 08-14-2010 at 01:46 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphzdesai View Post
is it ok to buy Casio FX991MS PLUS Scientific Calculator from staples for 23.91 for our classes.
In another thread, it was discussed that they look identical. So it should be fine. If an invigilator notices its "plus", you might have to explain and lose some time.

My opinion: Just buy the normal one, it should be cheaper. You don't need to do crazy calculations and if you do it'll take so long for the calculator to actually do the calculation. You can actually do it faster by hand.
Old 08-14-2010 at 09:00 PM   #27
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

i recommend u guys check out the fliers in the next few weeks for the casio calculator
it'll prob be cheaper to get it on sale at staples/walmart etc then to buy it at Titles. i think i saved almost $10 last year by getting it at staples