So scared what do i do... BT23 Academics 11 07-02-2009 03:45 AM

Calculus For The Scared – Part One

Old 08-18-2009 at 12:55 AM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics
Year: Alumni

Liked: 529 Times
No one knows because you'd need an external view of our universe to make such a conclusion.

(Kind of like how in order to define a 'perpendicular line' you need to look in a 2-D plane, even though a line is a 1-D object)

*Watches Dillon's amusement as he discovers his ridiculous comment was taken seriously*
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-18-2009 at 10:37 AM   #16
deadpool
X-Man
Program: Fighting
Year: Other

Liked: 394 Times
PS. If you want to go into Econ or Finance, make sure you are taking as much math as possible. Upper year Econ becomes intermediate calculus and I have seen countless people fail exams simply because they don't have a strong calculus background.
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:38 PM   #17
MacEng
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Year: Fifth
Residence: nuts swinging, swinging my nuts

Liked: 125 Times
The Math Help Centre (located in the basement of Hamilton Hall) is extremely helpful! Free tutoring!

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/undergra...pin_center.php

lorend says thanks to MacEng for this post.
Old 08-18-2009 at 02:00 PM   #18
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 422 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
"The trick to forgetting the big picture is to look at everything close up." ~ Chuck Palahniuk
First off- Chuck Palahniuk is my absolute favourite writer. No one else even comes close to matching his style.

Secondly, for all the math fans out there: http://www.mathstat.uottawa. ca/~rsmith/Zombies.pdf An extremely interesting use of math, and basic enough that its not scary to first years (Or at least, the math isn't scary. The concept of a zombie outbreak on the other hand...)

All credit to Temara.
Old 08-18-2009 at 05:06 PM   #19
mellye
Elite Member
Year: Second
Residence: McKay

Liked: 29 Times
Yay! Mowicz approves my article! I feel slightly honoured. I could die now. HAHA.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 08-18-2009 at 11:52 PM   #20
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
"The trick to forgetting the big picture is to look at everything close up." ~ Chuck Palahniuk

Now I know you're not condoning we neglect the big picture now, are you Huzaifa? :p

And I never said anything about parallel universes...I simply used the mathematical jargon "Universe of Discourse" (which is just a fancy way of saying "Everything that's true, given my assumptions")

---------------
Dear Esteemed Reverend of honourable numerical jargon.

This entity was merely implying that a decent majority of people who aren't that comfortable with math might be alienated by words like "axiom" and "math is like a universe" and so on! The everyday Jim Bob doesn't get mathematical jargon, instead for him it represents everything he doesn't like about maths I know it might be hard for you to understand though

p.s: Did anyone get the Chuck Palahniuk Reference?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-18-2009
huzaifa47
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-19-2009 at 02:23 AM   #21
Mowicz
Elite Member

I'm not sure whether or not to take that as an insult (since it sounds like one :p) or rely on my better judgment, knowing it's you and just assume it's a snarky response. :p

I agree entirely, that people would be intimidated if I were to go around and give a full blown jargony sentence like this: "The fundamental group of the projective plane is the free group on one generator, with one relation. The fundamental group of the torus is the direct product of the infinite cyclic group with itself...thus, since these are not isomorphic groups, the projective plane and the torus are different topological objects." See the difference? You'll note I never really burst into technical jargon like that...though I could have. :p I'm definitely the type to get excited enough.

No, what I did was introduce the terminology in context. Specifically, in a context that implies their meaning because they aren't very technical words, just definitions.

"It comes down to axioms: Things which are assumed true without proof determine what a mathematician is working with."

That's how you teach someone a new word after all...we do it regularly, and it's how our vocabulary grows. You don't restrict your vocabulary just because someone may not know or appreciate one of the words you're using...neither am I.
Old 08-19-2009 at 02:43 AM   #22
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
I'm not sure whether or not to take that as an insult (since it sounds like one :p) or rely on my better judgment, knowing it's you and just assume it's a snarky response. :p

I agree entirely, that people would be intimidated if I were to go around and give a full blown jargony sentence like this: "The fundamental group of the projective plane is the free group on one generator, with one relation. The fundamental group of the torus is the direct product of the infinite cyclic group with itself...thus, since these are not isomorphic groups, the projective plane and the torus are different topological objects." See the difference? You'll note I never really burst into technical jargon like that...though I could have. :p I'm definitely the type to get excited enough.

No, what I did was introduce the terminology in context. Specifically, in a context that implies their meaning because they aren't very technical words, just definitions.

"It comes down to axioms: Things which are assumed true without proof determine what a mathematician is working with."

That's how you teach someone a new word after all...we do it regularly, and it's how our vocabulary grows. You don't restrict your vocabulary just because someone may not know or appreciate one of the words you're using...neither am I.
LOL if you are reffering to the first line; you still didn't get the Chuck Palahniuk reference yet did you?

hahah I was just saying that from my personal experience, once things get a bit to complicated regarding technical jargon people just wave the white flag , I've personally been through it :S After that point they simply give up, its a pretty sad situation; see with stuff like philosophy even if it is complicated at first people can use spark notes or re-read it or get someone to explain in layman's terms! But Maths is a nightmare to teach because only very very few special teachers have the ability to make it simple :(

It's similar to student apathy threshhold, but that's another story.....

And as for my snarkiness here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Myers-B...dicator /INTJ

#6,#8 & #10 Soo In a way I can state that I never really had a choice I was destined to be a pure INTJ which is like less then 1% of the population *shrugs*

Old 08-20-2009 at 12:44 PM   #23
Marlowe
Elite Member

I definitely don't get the reference... I haven't read Pygmy yet though, if its from that. There is Reverend Godless in Haunted, but I don't recall that specific mantra from his story. Survivor maybe?

Now its going to bug me, lol.
Old 08-20-2009 at 12:45 PM   #24
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I definitely don't get the reference... I haven't read Pygmy yet though, if its from that. There is Reverend Godless in Haunted, but I don't recall that specific mantra from his story. Survivor maybe?

Wikipedia.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-20-2009 at 01:16 PM   #25
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
How did this quiz results topic start on a "Calculus" thread XD. Back to the "Myers-Briggs" thread! XD
Old 08-20-2009 at 08:00 PM   #26
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post

It's Pygmy You should really get its ASAP! Its ridiculously good, it takes a couple of attempts to figure out though with its language(some type of engrish)

Old 08-20-2009 at 10:22 PM   #27
Marlowe
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
It's Pygmy You should really get its ASAP! Its ridiculously good, it takes a couple of attempts to figure out though with its language(some type of engrish)
I reserved a copy at my library at the beginning of the summer but still haven't gotten it. :( I was kindof disappointed with Snuff, so its nice to here he's back on track.
Old 08-21-2009 at 03:28 PM   #28
Mowicz
Elite Member

I'm making a set of mini calculus tutorials / lectures on my TA Site.

May I have permission to use the phrase "Calculus for the Scared" ?

~*Sara*~ likes this.

Article Tools