MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Math Calculus course 1f03 how shouldi prepare for it and stats 1l03 harman911 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-27-2010 12:22 PM

Calculus in Summer School or take Math 1F03?

Old 06-07-2009 at 12:20 AM   #1
caludujf

Liked: 0 Times

Calculus in Summer School or take Math 1F03?
Hey Mac-ers!
I'm deciding whether or not to take Calculus in summer school because i did not earn this credit in my grade 12 year. I unfortunately had a conflict with my courses in second semester and was forced to come to this decision.

My concerns are: Since it's an accelerated course, it's not going to completely cover the whole material. So if i feel unprepared at the end of july, can i drop it? And still be eligible to take Math 1F03? (It's not a prerequisite for Life Sciences, just recommended) If unforutnately i do horrible, it won't be counted in my top 6, so it won't affect me? Do i have to maintain a certain average and will it affect my admission if it's not up to par?

I'm worried that i'll be rushed in summer school and when i take math 1A03 i won't have a good background knowledge to successfully succeed in this course. How is Math 1F03? People told me it's an equivalent gr.12 calculus course, and informative. Coming from McMaster it will cover everything i need to know and be prepared for other math courses.

Please reply to me asap
Old 06-07-2009 at 02:13 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Hey!

Although I never took Math 1F03 (it didn't exist until a year or two ago), but there is something you should consider that may actually be more important.

A university class can cost between $300-$600. A high school summer school class does not cost anywhere near that much...maybe $100? If you have the option to take the class in summer school do so, because you're going to save a lot of money that can otherwise be put to university courses!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

caludujf says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-07-2009 at 12:14 PM   #3
caludujf

Thanks Lorend,
I've decided to register for summer school, but i also plan on still registering for math 1F03 as well.
If i feel confident in mid july with how things are, i'll just replace math 1f03 with an elective. If not, i'll just drop summer school before exams and do math 1f03 first sem.
Old 06-07-2009 at 12:20 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Hey I agree with Lorend. Vector calculus was one of my best marks in highschool though math was never my best subject. Nonetheless, I would recommend taking it in summer school because you save a lot of money. In my area, if you signed up with catholic system for summer school, it was free and public was 30 bucks.

If you do horribly in summer school math, it won't negatively affect your top 6 because you are already in with the other 6 marks. If I remember correctly, I think vector calc was not required in the top 6 and so the only effect I can think of is that if you do really well in vector calc., it would be counted as an elective in top 6 and increase your entrance average (but I'm not sure if summer school marks after admission would be used in entrance scholarships!)

Anyways... Math 1LS3 (except for the last unit) was basically a review of gr 12 calculus (No vectors at all). Seriously.. the first month was spent on "y=mx+b" (which is from grade 9). ... and yeah it reviews into depth everything you need to know. and I hear Math 1A03 has a lot of review too. On the other hand, I heard Math 1FO3 was really easy for those without gr 12 vector calculus and could be a mark booster. Last time I checked with a friend doing the course, they got perfect on their midterms.

Last edited by sinthusized : 06-07-2009 at 12:22 PM.

caludujf says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 06-07-2009 at 01:28 PM   #5
caludujf

That's why i'm hesitating lol
Because if i take 1f03, it can boost my marks compared to taking another elective.
And the fact that i want to enjoy my summer haha
Old 06-07-2009 at 05:01 PM   #6
caludujf

Is Math 1F03 going to be counted in my 30 credit requirement for first year life sci? And this is another question, post-graduates look at all your courses from first to fourth year, and add them up for an avg? Would taking math 1f03 be beneficial for me, cause it will most likely boost my mark?
Old 06-07-2009 at 05:41 PM   #7
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

I have to disagree....I just took math 1f03 in Sept. 2008. BY FAR IT IS THE BEST COURSE EVER!!!! In highschool I just wasnt getting math - I don't know why. My math mark would be the lowest - ALWAYS. So in the summer I didnt take MCV 4U and I decided I would do 1F03 one term and 1ls3 the next. The prof was amazing (Chris McLean usually teaches it) he was soo funny and he made me actually like math. Taking the course was the best decision ever because my math skills were not that strong and this course started from the basics and helped me cover some of the "holes" in my math background. I did very well in this course (A+) even though my math marks were horrible. Also, you learn things in this course (that normal students who took MCV 4U dont learn) so that will put you ahead of the game in 1LS3 -So come January 1LS3 will be very very very very easy.

Take the course highly recommended. Sure it may cost you some $, but it changed my outlook on math that I actually kind of want to do a minor in math!!!!

caludujf says thanks to manu for this post.

sana1504 likes this.
Old 06-07-2009 at 06:22 PM   #8
caludujf

THANK YOU MAN! that gave me hope!!
My highschool is known to be a red flag for it's maths. If i take calculus, i'll most likely dive into something i can't handle in a short amount of time, and won't be taught enough for university standards.
This will most likely be my last summer to have fun and chill out with friends ever. I'd rather not take summer school and waste half of my summer.
MATH 1F03 can boost my mark up too, rather than choosing a random elective. Planning for second sem, Which one is easier: Math 1A03 or Math 1LS3?
Old 06-07-2009 at 06:27 PM   #9
manu
jack

by far...1ls3 ..........You spend 2-3 weeks on y=mx+b and basic factoring what more can I say?
Old 06-07-2009 at 06:38 PM   #10
caludujf

I LOVE THIS SITE! relieved me of so much stress.
Old 06-07-2009 at 07:07 PM   #11
manu
jack

If you take 1F03, then in 1LS3 you learn new things in the last 3 weeks of class and maybe one or two concepts (that are not hard) in the beginning. I was in your place too last year-debating if I should take calc or not in summer school but I'm glad I didnt because in summer school they would have rushed through the material and as long as you do your hw in 1F03 and pay attention and work hard, you will do well-Math 1F03 is the second slowest math course so you dont have to worry about the prof rushing.

caludujf says thanks to manu for this post.
Old 06-07-2009 at 07:23 PM   #12
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

If you dislike math (which I've interpreted, let me know if I'm incorrect), it probably wouldn't matter too much.

Taking both, 1F03 and 1LS3 will give you an extra 'easy elective' and you'll probably get a similar grade in both courses, with a bit of work.

To answer your question, when you graduate, a standard degree (except engineering, but you're not entering engineering since you're talking about 1F and 1LS) requires 120 units of coursework. This usually amounts to 40 half year courses (10 per year). This includes everything you take at Mac. 1LS3 does not 'replace' 1F03 or anything like that.

So there are 2 things to think about when making your decision:

1) PRO: 1F03 and 1LS3 take up 2 of the 10 course slots you have in your first year, so you can get an easy grade.
2) CON: 1F03 and 1LS3 take up 2 of the 10 course slots you have in your first year...so you can only take 8 other courses, even if you're interested in 9 or 10 others.

So just consider that...try to plan out which courses you want to take, and if there are only 9 (or fewer) courses you really want to take, then surely, take both maths.

caludujf says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 06-07-2009 at 08:20 PM   #13
caludujf

Thanks for the input guys,
So i'm most likely going to take Math 1F03. And for level 2 i want to choose either honours life science or biochem&med sciences. I looked through the faculty of science booklet and chose the following courses and sort of organized them in a way that both sems are balance:

First Sem:
1)Biology 1A03
2)Math 1F03
3)Chem 1A03
4)Psych 1A03
5) Anthro 1Z03

Second Sem:
1)Biology 1M03
2)Math 1A03
3)Chem 1AA3
4)Physics 1F03
5)Psych 1XX3

Any advice for teachers in each course? Problems i can't see? Please reply before July 3rd, for that is when course registration (SOLAR) starts for my program.
Old 06-07-2009 at 08:38 PM   #14
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

For Math 1F03 you don't have much choice...looks like it's McLean or the highway.
Same goes for Physics 1F03, you've got Dr. Reid, and not much choice in the matter.

For Math 1A03, it's a shame you aren't taking it in first semester. Dr. Martinez-Pedroza is a new post-doc in the department, I took Calculus on Manifolds (Math 4B03) with him. I was highly impressed, and he quickly became my favourite professor (which is saying a lot!). Dr Lozinski is also a very good instructor, somewhere on my top 10 list. Unfortunately though, I can't see who teaches it in 2nd semester (according to the tentative timetable), and can't offer my input otherwise.

I'll check back in a few days to see if the information goes online. I know most of the math profs in the department are very nice, with only one or two exceptions.

caludujf says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 06-07-2009 at 08:53 PM   #15
caludujf

I might choose Math 1LS3 instead of 1A03 if time is a conflict.
Plan on making timetable during START or after my highschool exams.
I heard SOLAR launches off Life Sciences course registration on July 3rd 12 a.m., and my appointment for START is on July 3rd at 10a.m. Some ppl say it's pointless going to start. I'm just worried that if i choose to stall and make my timetable at 10a.m. with start some of my courses will be full because other life sci ppl registered at 12a.m.