MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips to get into MUgsi/Solar Ace0fSpades Academics 22 08-11-2010 03:59 PM
is anyone else in mugsi but cant open solar? belindz! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-11-2010 01:08 PM
MUGSI - SOLAR problem harshey13 Academics 9 06-14-2010 04:52 PM
Why is everyone on MUGSI/Solar? sweetrachel First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-31-2009 07:43 PM
MUGSI and SOLAR won't let me on! ND_ftw First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 08-13-2009 11:03 AM

Call on University to Revamp MUGSI/SOLAR

Old 08-12-2010 at 01:51 AM   #16
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
so i had an idea but its prob not gonnna work but what if the entire undergrad maybe even grad doesnt pay their tution.... like seripiosuly wut if like no one attends mac next year until they fix solar... that wuld make a HUGE statement. i also think we shuld exploit media. if the story is critical enough to tarnish macs reputation, they might do something
Extremely unlikely to happen even as far as getting 10% of the student body to strike like that would be a hard job. There is strength in numbers, but people usually don't risk things like that.

Old 08-12-2010 at 02:45 AM   #17
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Useless. It will never work, they will just say to wait your turn for MUGSI/SOLAR. Its been like this for years, with students complaining each year.
I agree. The only way we can get a new registration system is if we blow up the current one.

I think it should be possible with 5 or so mauraders, 10 marines (just incase they defend with zerglings), some vikings incase they break out void rays, and a couple of siege tanks in siege mode behind the front line along with some medivacs.

We should upgrade their attack and defence at the engineering bay before attacking though.

Old 08-19-2010 at 06:53 PM   #18
Beth

Liked: 4 Times

FYI ... I received a response from the Senior Associate Registrar to my letter regarding the MUGSI/SOLAR enrollment system. Thankfully there is a plan to change the system but implementation time is 3-5 years. Here's her response:

"Thank you for your feedback to Dr. Deane regarding SOLAR and MUGSI. You are quite correct about the limitations of these systems. The software, which is part of the university's student information system, is in fact obsolete. We recognize this, and its replacement is a priority element in the information technology vision recently articulated by the University's Chief Information Officer. It is not simply a matter of replacing just the registration system or adding server capacity; the entire mainframe student records system, which is the database behind SOLAR and MUGSI, must be completely replaced.

We have recently been working with a consultant to plan for the replacement of both our student and finance systems. This is a massive and very expensive undertaking which is likely to take 3 to 5 years to implement; however, we recognize it is a necessary action. Part of the process will be an in-depth requirements review to understand the needs of all the stakeholders, as well as looking at best practices from other leading institutions. We have had discussions with the McMaster Students Union regarding this issue and they are aware of our commitment to replace these aging systems. The Registrar has also begun a student advisory group to hear from student representatives on a broad range of topics including the SIS renewal.

I regret that I cannot offer a more immediate solution, but we do take these concerns, as you and other students have expressed them, very seriously."

AnguishedEnd, jackiemac all say thanks to Beth for this post.
Old 08-20-2010 at 01:13 PM   #19
lorii

Liked: 8 Times

This would prevent a lot of pain and headache, that is if they ever get to it...