MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Calling all students to submit recipes... H.L. General Discussion 23 12-06-2009 11:51 AM
Calling all first generation students! Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-25-2007 12:32 PM

Calling All First Year Students: 2009 FYC Educational Survey!

Old 04-02-2009 at 10:59 PM   #15
KRan

Liked: 10 Times
Faculty of Kinesiology

Question #1: Do you feel that the range of classes offered by the Kinesiology department
adequately cover the range of topics under the study of the human body and movement?
Please explain.

I went in to this program really only knowing about the anatomical/physiological and biomechanical parts of Kinesiology, from what I had learned in Exercise Science in Grade 12. But then I found the material from Epidemiology and Psychomotor Behaviour a lot more interesting than I had expected, and it has really broadened what I could possibly continue taking courses about in upper years.

Question #2: Are the professors in the Department of Kinesiology effective teachers? Do you
feel that some professors are not teaching their field of expertise?

There are some points in all of the courses that are boring, but the profs are definitely teaching if their field of expertise. It still surprises me when they start a subject with "This is a study I worked on..." or when they tell you about how they spoke to the author of your textbook on the phone the night before. Two of the courses are team-taught so you really get profs who know what they're talking about.

Old 04-03-2009 at 10:33 AM   #16
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times
Three favourite courses

1) HISTORY 1AA3!!! European History from the French Revolution to the Second World War
The reason why it was so amazing? Dr. Horn. Well, and the fact that it was probably the best organized class out of all the classes I took this year. Plus the material was great.

2) Sociology 1A06 - Intro Soc
The reason why it was so amazing? Dr. Behnke-Cook. Haha, oh me and my profs...the material was excellent and though I didn't like how the class was laid out (TAs and tests and everything), Dr. Cook's passionate teaching style made up for it.

3) I honestly can't think of another class that was decent. Beginner's German was alright, but it went way too fast...Poli Sci was okay, but I didn't like the structure or the way the material was taught.

The disappointment course

1) Labour Studies 1C03 - Dr. Chong was new, I'll give her that, but the entire class was just painful to sit through. Dr. Chong could not control the class or her TAs for that matter, who were, for the most part, extremely strange. The material was dry and the layout of the tests and essays was awful. Not recommended.

Since I'm doing both Soc Sci and Humanities (History & Poli Sci), I'll answer both:

Faculty of Social Sciences

Question #1: Why did you choose to study Social Sciences at McMaster?
-The course I like is in Soc Sci.

Question #2: Please rank your satisfaction with the quality of education in Social Sciences,
10 being exceptional and 1 being unsatisfactory
-7...major improvement would make it a 10, but it's decent as is.

Question #3: Is there enough diversity in courses in Social Sciences
-Yeah, tonnes of diversity in classes.

Faculty of Humanities:

Question #1: Are you aware that sessional lecturers teach many humanities courses? .
-Yes.

Question #2: Do you feel that sessional lecturers have had a positive or negative effect on
your education?
-I think full time profs are better because then you can get to know them and their teaching style throughout your career at university.

Question #3: In your one year at Mac do you as a humanities student feel undervalued by the administration? The resources, Lecture halls and so on: Are they satisfactory enough compared to other faculties?
-The resources are excellent, but people just don't care enough about our classes. I'm not talking admin, I'm talking people in general.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search