MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
A Call For Writers pizzutkf Politics 3 10-14-2010 08:01 PM
calling people in rez cjdzl Residence & Housing 5 09-24-2010 08:57 PM
Calling Pianists goodnews.inc Music 6 07-17-2010 08:58 AM

Calling all writers!

(Logo designed by Alex Krugel)

McMaster Social Science Society's quarterly newspaper, The Frontline, is looking for submissions to be published in the September Welcome Week Issue! Although the paper is under the MSSS, students from ALL faculties are encouraged to send in their pieces of work.

What is The Frontline looking for? Articles about student life, current events, or sports are welcome! We are also looking for opinion pieces about any topic you can think of. As well, we also accept short stories, poetry, comics, art, and/or photography!

Please send all submissions to [email protected] .com! The deadline for all submissions is August 17th, 2009!
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-07-2009 at 01:36 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times
Are there any guidelines?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-07-2009 at 01:53 PM   #3
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Are there any guidelines?
There aren't any specific guidelines, but I would say aim for a page or so if you choose to write an article, but we have had way longer pieces before. Short stories are more flexible, but if we're finding that it won't fit, we may save it for the following issue.

Old 07-07-2009 at 02:49 PM   #4
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times
What if i was to... say... let students know that being in soc sci sucks in terms of administrative support.

huzaifa47 says thanks to deadpool for this post.

Old 07-07-2009 at 10:36 PM   #5
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
What if i was to... say... let students know that being in soc sci sucks in terms of administrative support.
Hear Hear!

On a side note though, I wrote a few articles last year. Submitted an application for Editorial Positions, the person at the office hours somehow lost before it got to the selection people I think; the posts ended up with resume scavenging Health Sci students making a "Social Science Newsletter" FML :(

On a more constructive note though, everyone should try writing articles related to Transition to University, Their biggest fears coming here, Diversity or anything helpfulish.

The SocSci Society staff and the with their knowledge of the faculty the "Editors"(lmao) should defo point out the administrative support(ROFL) available for Social Science students and services like CSD that definitely help given the disciplinary nature of Arts(research, no procastination, editing, citations). Also get shameless plugs in for involvement within the Socsci society since that is a bit weak as well, we need more people running for SocSci(MSSS) Exec, WW Reps and most of all Winter Olympics(the latter for sure!)

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 07-07-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Old 07-07-2009 at 11:09 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Anyone know what the MSSS website is? Or if they have one? I've been searching for their old one to no avail.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-07-2009 at 11:17 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Anyone know what the MSSS website is? Or if they have one? I've been searching for their old one to no avail.
lol It used to be http://www.macsocsci.com/modules/news/ for sure when I linked it for my Socsci 2013 Minions just a couple of months ago, its gone at the time when the new students are being linked to it to raise awareness for MSSS; Brilliant!

Old 07-07-2009 at 11:26 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Sounds great! Do we need to inform you ahead of time of the topic and such?

Old 07-07-2009 at 11:32 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
lol It used to be http://www.macsocsci.com/modules/news/ for sure when I linked it for my Socsci 2013 Minions just a couple of months ago, its gone at the time when the new students are being linked to it to raise awareness for MSSS; Brilliant!
That was the old one too. It has been down a few times over the past two or three years then. Email Amber the President and ask what's up?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-07-2009 at 11:43 PM   #10
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
That was the old one too. It has been down a few times over the past two or three years then. Email Amber the President and ask what's up?
Done on Facebook and [email protected]!

Old 07-08-2009 at 06:23 AM   #11
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
There's a new website at http://macsocsci.ca/, but it's still under construction for the most part I think.

Quote:

Sounds great! Do we need to inform you ahead of time of the topic and such?
You don't need to tell us ahead of time, but if you want to make sure the topic is appropriate or if it overlaps too much with another submission (which was never an issue last year), you can email us or ask on here.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Omega_X13 for this post.

Old 07-08-2009 at 04:31 PM   #12
Steph.Lau

Liked: 1 Time
Hi everyone! I'm Steph, one of the Frontline editors and I just wanted to let you know that we're trying to put up old pdf issues of the Frontline on the Soc Sci website for you to look at. Hopefully they will be up soon!

Old 07-08-2009 at 04:34 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph.Lau View Post
Hi everyone! I'm Steph, one of the Frontline editors and I just wanted to let you know that we're trying to put up old pdf issues of the Frontline on the Soc Sci website for you to look at. Hopefully they will be up soon!
FINALLY. Now I can actually access all of the old content I wrote since my computer crashed two years ago.

Old 07-08-2009 at 08:06 PM   #14
Steph.Lau

Liked: 1 Time
I don't think we actually have any issues before 2008 since the office got a new laptop :( , but I'm trying to get all the issues we put out last year onto the site.

Old 07-08-2009 at 11:45 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If they transferred files over they should. There were issues from at least 2006 available on that computer's hard drive.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search