MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
calling people in rez cjdzl Residence & Housing 5 09-24-2010 08:57 PM
Calling on TAs who want a voice tmtoulouse General Discussion 19 11-01-2009 06:03 PM
Calling all writers! Omega_X13 MacInsiders Announcements 44 08-17-2009 03:15 PM
Calling All Nerds... lorend MacInsiders Announcements 9 03-30-2009 06:08 PM
Calling all undergraduates! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-02-2006 10:56 PM

Calling Pianists

Old 07-04-2010 at 11:50 AM   #1
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Calling Pianists
I'd like to learn to play 2 songs: one by Radiohead, and one by Coldplay by...let's say March of 2011, on the piano/keyboard. While I could just teach myself, I figure it'll be simpler to ask somebody who already knows how to play proficiently. While I can't pay you in cash, I can pay you with:
A. First year textbooks
B. Tutoring in a non Math subject of your choice. (Physics included, but not 1BB3). If you want a Chem tutor, that'd be fantastic.
C. One of your non cash suggestions.

We can work out the details via PM.

And a side note: I have carpal tunnel and I would appreciate not being in excruciating pain which is what happened the last time I tried to play.

Thank you

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-04-2010 at 04:07 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Do you want to just learn those two songs, or actually start learning the piano (if the latter, what 'stream'?). I've always wanted to have a classical / jazz piano guinea-pig student

Last edited by Mahratta : 07-04-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2010 at 04:58 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

What songs? Coldplay is generally pretty easy.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 07-09-2010 at 11:44 AM   #4
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Do you want to just learn those two songs, or actually start learning the piano (if the latter, what 'stream'?). I've always wanted to have a classical / jazz piano guinea-pig student
If you want a jazz student, I'm down for being taught a thing or two. I've played piano for about ten years, and I do a little bit in the jazz stream, mostly my own writing, but a bit of stuff like Burt Bacharach as well. I've always wanted to be shown some cool jazz progressions and scales to solo with. I played sax in jazz band for four years as well.

As for the person who posted this thread, if you go to www.ultimate-guitar.com and look for your Coldplay and Radiohead songs, someone should have chords posted (they're pretty popular bands). If you can play the chords, then figuring out the melody overtop by ear should be pretty easy for them.
Old 07-09-2010 at 08:34 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I'd like to learn to play 2 songs: one by Radiohead, and one by Coldplay by...let's say March of 2011, on the piano/keyboard. While I could just teach myself, I figure it'll be simpler to ask somebody who already knows how to play proficiently. While I can't pay you in cash, I can pay you with:
A. First year textbooks
B. Tutoring in a non Math subject of your choice. (Physics included, but not 1BB3). If you want a Chem tutor, that'd be fantastic.
C. One of your non cash suggestions.

We can work out the details via PM.

And a side note: I have carpal tunnel and I would appreciate not being in excruciating pain which is what happened the last time I tried to play.

Thank you
www.pianofiles.com
you have to sign up, but it's free and someone on there will definitely have the songs you're looking for!
Old 07-12-2010 at 02:28 PM   #6
schad17

Liked: 1 Time

I play piano
Old 07-17-2010 at 08:58 AM   #7
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Pop songs played on the piano nowadays just tend to stay "frozen" in key and/or in the chord.

Search the net for chords and learn to "arpeggiate" it by ear. Once you know the chord shapes/patterns
of the song, it will be easy to just "feel" it and to play it "arpeggiated".

Sorry. I play guitar so it's hard for me to describe. LOL

Last edited by VastHorizon : 07-17-2010 at 09:01 AM.