MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
are we allow to add money to our meal plans if its all used up? 737300173 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-25-2011 07:32 PM
Meal Plans/Eating on-campus rkb12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-27-2010 07:26 AM
Meal plans jdia General Discussion 3 11-06-2009 10:26 PM
Meal Plans katie_batt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-04-2008 11:25 PM
Meal Plans J-Met First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-25-2008 10:55 AM

on-campus meal plans/dietary preferences/restrictions

Old 03-17-2013 at 02:08 AM   #1
mac22/07

Liked: 0 Times

on-campus meal plans/dietary preferences/restrictions
Hey guys, I will be living on campus next year and will have to purchase a meal plan. I'm currently living off-campus and like to cook healthy meals at home (vegetarian). I heard that its possible to set up an appointment with the manager at Bridges to discuss possible options regarding dietary restrictions/preferences. Would anyone like to share their experience with meal plans and dietary restrictions/preferences? Although I'll be living in a traditional residence and I still will be cooking, would it be possible for me to get the Light Meal plan (suite/apartment style)? Thanks!
Old 03-17-2013 at 05:17 AM   #2
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

I have severe dietary restrictions; this was one of the main reasons I didn't live on campus...:.S
Old 03-17-2013 at 05:28 AM   #3
lightsms

Liked: 1 Time

I didn't live on campus either, but this year the people at bridges added Kosher Vegetarian meals for the 15 or so Observant Jews on campus. They are really nice and helpful
Old 03-17-2013 at 08:22 AM   #4
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsms View Post
I didn't live on campus either, but this year the people at bridges added Kosher Vegetarian meals for the 15 or so Observant Jews on campus. They are really nice and helpful
Hee, hee
What about halal meals??? or the observant Hindus?
Old 03-17-2013 at 10:18 AM   #5
Skittles

Liked: 2 Times

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought everything at Bridges already was Halal, since it's a completely vegetarian establishment?

sdee likes this.
Old 08-09-2013 at 09:58 AM   #6
lightsms

Liked: 1 Time

It actually isn't. It turns out that they used to (I'm not sure if they still do) use a vanilla extract which contains alcohol
Old 08-09-2013 at 07:18 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

You unfortunately can't get the suite/apartment meal plan unless you live in bates/keyes. However, you definitely can contact [email protected] ca and they will connect you to the correct person (no email is listed under the special dietary requirements section of the site, weirdly enough). There's definitely ways to find food depending on your diet. Yes there aren't tons of options, but a decent number is available. I eat halal food and I haven't had a problem
Old 08-09-2013 at 07:45 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I have several dietary restrictions (gluten/dairy intolerances and severe allergies to nuts), but when I was told to write in and contact Hospitality services (back when I was considering living on residence), they said they could definitely accommodate me. Vegetarians are well accommodated at Mac; I had a vegetarian friend who lived on residence after he became a vegetarian, and he never reported any problems. He ate a lot of eggs, frequented Bridges a good amount and he was in excellent shape. I can see veganism being a bit harder what with the dairy + eggs, but if you're only a vegetarian, it should be okay.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences