MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extra Money on Meal Card cypher First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 04-06-2011 11:46 AM
Meal Plans/Eating on-campus rkb12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-27-2010 07:26 AM
Meal plans jdia General Discussion 3 11-06-2009 10:26 PM
Meal Plans katie_batt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-04-2008 11:25 PM
Meal Plans J-Met First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-25-2008 10:55 AM

are we allow to add money to our meal plans if its all used up?

Old 05-23-2011 at 12:01 AM   #1

Liked: 0 Times

are we allow to add money to our meal plans if its all used up?
i dont have a big appetite so i brought the small one, but i was wondering if i used it all up can i add money to it?
Old 05-23-2011 at 12:01 AM   #2
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737300173 View Post
i dont have a big appetite so i brought the small one, but i was wondering if i used it all up can i add money to it?
You betcha'.
Old 05-23-2011 at 12:05 AM   #3
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

yes you can. you can add extra money via online on the mac express website or add money in-person in the meal plan office.
Old 05-23-2011 at 01:10 AM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

yes which is why its better to start with smallest mealplan then add moar
Old 05-23-2011 at 01:22 AM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

It might be worth it to get a larger meal plan though. If you don't cook your own food, it's really easy to burn through $80+ and it's might be difficult to convince your parents that you need $80/week for food later in the year once your meal plan runs out. Also, as long as you spend over ~$2200 on campus throughout the year, the rest of the money all your meal plan is carried over to the next year.
Old 05-23-2011 at 01:36 AM   #6
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

I think you'll be fine. The way it worked for myself and friends, we'd swipe that card like crazy first term and in second term be a bit more frugal. Don't get the larger meal plan. You can always add on more cash in the event you want to but you don't get refunded at the end of the year(except for the flex or was it freedom portion -the off campus portion of your meal plan). Besides, at the end of the year some people become tired of eating the same foods at Centro and Bistro so they cook, if you can call it that, in the common room kitchen.

Paying with cash and the card is the same price. Also, keep in mind Mac's food can be expensive(vs off campus).

Good luck and have a super summer!
Old 05-25-2011 at 06:36 PM   #7
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish001 View Post
Paying with cash and the card is the same price.
I thought there was a discount with the card?
If not, why not just get the smallest one and when it runs out, switch to a regular bank-issued debit card?
Old 05-25-2011 at 06:43 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisoBill View Post
If not, why not just get the smallest one and when it runs out, switch to a regular bank-issued debit card?
The card is just for convenience.
I would suggest getting the freedom flex plan, if you're in charge of your own money (i.e. you can manually add more money via debit card), so you don't accumulate a bunch of money on your card that you'll end up being forced to spend on stuff you don't need at the end of the semester.
Old 05-25-2011 at 06:44 PM   #9
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisoBill View Post
Good eye. You're right, there is a 'discount' of a kind. It's just a tax-exempt when you pay with meal card and obvious that's cheaper than paying cash. But you must pay with meal card plan money and not money from flex/freedom (either one or both, i forget).

InvisoBill says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 05-25-2011 at 07:32 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

there are 3 ways to pay.

Cash, standard.

Meal plan values: non refundable at end of year, tax off
Add Cash value to Card has 2 options
a) add to meal plan (must use up by certain date, like duration of a month), receives tax free
b) freedom, cash value that can be used at certain outside places, on campus receives 7% off, carriable over