parking off campus macculkin General Discussion 9 04-24-2009 10:20 AM
Parking Tickets @ McMaster kenz General Discussion 17 03-25-2009 11:22 PM
Parking on Campus cowcow General Discussion 1 01-29-2009 07:53 AM

Campus Parking Tickets

Old 03-31-2011 at 04:11 PM   #1
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Campus Parking Tickets
Does anybody know what happens if you don't pay a ticket that's been issued?

A friend of mine parked on campus to grab some food and we happened to get a ticket. He doesn't go to Mac and is under the assumption that Mac's parking tickets aren't linked with the police or anything, and that nothing happens if you don't pay it?

Anyone know if this is true...
Old 03-31-2011 at 04:16 PM   #2
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

there was a similar thread like this a while back... i think the general consensus was that they are affiliated sort of with the Hamilton police, and have the same rights and powers overall. so it would be a good idea to pay the ticket...

here is the link to the previous thread on the topic.... the first few comments are ppl just speculating but if you read on theres more concrete info thats useful for u...

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...rking+ticke t
Old 03-31-2011 at 04:40 PM   #3
shes-a-diva*

Thanks I've checked a few other threads out but I was kind of wondering if anyone had any experience with this... I mean, he's not a student at the school and if he doesn't come back with that car, I can't seem to think McMaster has their own legal rights to enforce laws - a ticket's a ticket and all but what authority do campus parking patrol really have...
Old 03-31-2011 at 05:35 PM   #4
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

"McMaster Security Constables are sworn Peace Officers - appointed under the authority of the Ontario Police Services Act.

Their appointments give them the powers of a Peace Officer and enable them to enforce the Criminal Code of Canada, Federal and Provincial statutes and Municipal by-laws on the University Campus. Our Constables also hold the authority of Police Officers under the Mental Health Act, Liquor License Act as well as the Trespass to Property Act."

McMaster isn't the same as those private parking companies in Toronto that rip people off with bogus tickets. Mac tickets are legally binding.
Old 03-31-2011 at 05:45 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
Thanks I've checked a few other threads out but I was kind of wondering if anyone had any experience with this... I mean, he's not a student at the school and if he doesn't come back with that car, I can't seem to think McMaster has their own legal rights to enforce laws - a ticket's a ticket and all but what authority do campus parking patrol really have...
I say you don't pay it and see what happens.

Its not like it will affect your license renewal or credit rating or anything.
trollface dot jaypeg
Old 03-31-2011 at 05:47 PM   #6
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

People are so weird....you do realize that if you get a ticket they have your license number? They know where your friend lives beause of that and they will get their money The no parking signs across campus are not there just for fun, they mean something.
Old 03-31-2011 at 07:13 PM   #7
Smithd37

Liked: 4 Times

I would pay the ticket... that is unless your friend has some sort of bizarre appetite for bad karma.

Last edited by Smithd37 : 03-31-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2011 at 07:35 PM   #8
berrberr

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinbf View Post
"McMaster Security Constables are sworn Peace Officers - appointed under the authority of the Ontario Police Services Act.

Their appointments give them the powers of a Peace Officer and enable them to enforce the Criminal Code of Canada, Federal and Provincial statutes and Municipal by-laws on the University Campus. Our Constables also hold the authority of Police Officers under the Mental Health Act, Liquor License Act as well as the Trespass to Property Act."

McMaster isn't the same as those private parking companies in Toronto that rip people off with bogus tickets. Mac tickets are legally binding.
Except that the people who give out tickets are not "McMaster Security Constables"
Old 03-31-2011 at 07:43 PM   #9
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

read this thread http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ter-20489.html

But more or less they take down your license plate number and if you don't pay the ticket, the Ministry of Transportation sends the bill (for a much larger amount) to whatever address is associated with your license and you will have to pay. So your friend can pay a small fee now, or a large fee later.
Old 03-31-2011 at 08:15 PM   #10
shes-a-diva*

Like I said, I was posting this out of curiousity he is the one who doesn't care to pay it. Also having someone's license plate does not necessarily equate the driver's name... (the car is a parent's) and berrberr made a point... Are the parking enforcement people the same special constables or what
Old 03-31-2011 at 08:43 PM   #11
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
Like I said, I was posting this out of curiousity he is the one who doesn't care to pay it. Also having someone's license plate does not necessarily equate the driver's name... (the car is a parent's) and berrberr made a point... Are the parking enforcement people the same special constables or what
Same thing as red light cameras
Old 03-31-2011 at 11:55 PM   #12
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

If McMaster forwards these tickets to the Ministry and they send you a bill, you can count on the vehicle owner not being able to renew their annual license plate sticker. It WILL have an effect. Potentially credit rating as well. If it is a legit ticket that has to do with the city of Hamilton or the Ministry of Transportation, it would be in your best interests to pay - or fight, but I think the case is against you here. I have had my share of parking tickets when borrowing my uncle's car, they are always paid and firmed up ASAP.

edit: If they are not city tickets, you can bet that they will be forwarded to a collection agency. The vehicle owner will be harassed.

Last edited by temptingf8 : 04-01-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2011 at 08:28 AM   #13
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I say you don't pay it and see what happens.

Its not like it will affect your license renewal or credit rating or anything.
trollface dot jaypeg
It does. And if they catch you on campus they will tow you like the loser 2 days ago outside ABB.
Old 04-01-2011 at 09:45 AM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
It does. And if they catch you on campus they will tow you like the loser 2 days ago outside ABB.
herp a derp
people here are retards, i swear
Old 04-01-2011 at 05:27 PM   #15
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
herp a derp
people here are retards, i swear

ya I know what you mean, most engineers are.