MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a Job on Campus? Hanna Volunteering Opportunities 6 10-14-2010 02:44 PM
On to off campus Zachary Residence & Housing 10 07-06-2010 12:17 PM
Fax on Campus Pay919 General Discussion 3 11-02-2009 03:57 PM
DC++ Off Campus Waaaaataccc General Discussion 16 11-28-2008 10:57 AM
Getting Around Campus Mariah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2008 01:11 PM

Campus Pedestrians

Old 09-12-2008 at 05:48 PM   #1
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Campus Pedestrians
I have noticed a dangerous trend on campus, which has also become a problem in the city itself. Though the vast majority of us can walk, many of us do not know how to walk properly. Now I may be a stickler; but campus safety and logic are what is at stake here. The risks we are prone to include people unnecessarily hitting one another as if it is a game of chicken (the person moving first being considered the loser, or "chicken"). As well, the accidental collisions can cause papers, pens, and other such items to go flying into the air, which is clearly not fun for the person getting hit or the person whose items have fell to the ground. What I am talking about here is people using "common sense," if you have trouble figuring out what side of the sidewalk to walk here are a few tips: Imagine that you are a car (not frogger) driving down the road. Alternatively, take a look at the road and see which way traffic is flowing and mimic it! It is unfortunate, especially since we are all in univeristy, that such simple and related tasks as walking and driving can produce completely different results within the same environment. Finally, to those that are waiting for the bus, please be curtious to others and pick which half of the bus stop to gather around. Again, I like to go to the zoo; but I dont like to slither like a snake to get from one class to the next.
Old 09-13-2008 at 11:49 AM   #2
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

Personally, I feel the bigger issue is that 90% of students do not know how to cross a street or intersection.

Remember the old saying, "look both ways before you cross the street"? Well, apparently not! Just yesterday, a HSR bus was making a right turn into the street beside Mills, some girl crosses the street as he's turning, and the bus then has to slam on the breaks, nearly causing the car behind the bus to ram the back of the bus. The girl was unphased, but pretty stupid.

Sometimes when there is a lineup of cars at places like between Health Sci and Psych, I stop when no one else is crossing to let a car go by. But, then the person behind me goes, so I just look like an idiot for stopping.

Anyways, science students have to take Science 1A00, an intro safety course, in their first year. I believe another course should be implemented as well. Take a guess about what it would be about

Also, it drives me insane when a class in a lecture hall leaves out of the entrance doors. Leave out the exit doors so the class comming in can come in the entrance doors. Not rocket science!

http://www.ehow.com/how_1642_cross-street-safely.html
Old 09-13-2008 at 12:11 PM   #3
summer

Liked: 1 Time

webzn, you bring up good points. But at the same time, I would like to point out that when students are leaving a lecture, at least half of them are heading off to another class. Leaving by the exit doors would often times force them to walk AROUND the building, and in some cases, several others, to get to their next lecture location. With 10 minutes to make the trip, I think it is unreasonable to ask students to do this.

My counter-suggestion, then, is that students waiting to get into a lecture hall in which one is just finishing WAIT until the previous class of students has left before they start going in. Like I mentioned before, it can take up to 10 minutes (or more) to get out of a lecture hall and run from say, KTH to ITB, but it takes all of 5 minutes to wait while the previous class gets out so you can get in. That still leaves you 5 minutes to find a seat and settle in...IMO, that would make more sense for everyone involved.
Old 09-13-2008 at 06:41 PM   #4
Goce
Elite Member

Thank you two for your points, they added to mine very well. I cannot begin to explain how much it annoys me when I see this, hopefully our posts will be read and considered. Personally, I have witnessed all of these things. As for people going into class before others have left ??? It is not like you will be able to find a seat. These are the reasons why CRITICAL THINKING is VERY IMPORTANT. If people were more critical of what they and others decided to do, there wouldn't be so many basic things done stupidly.
Old 09-25-2008 at 11:45 PM   #5
Goce
Elite Member

I hate to bring back old threads, but there is a good reason to do so in this case. There has been a drastic improvement in campus walking and street crossing. Keep up the good work!