MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a Job on Campus? Hanna Volunteering Opportunities 6 10-14-2010 02:44 PM
On to off campus Zachary Residence & Housing 10 07-06-2010 12:17 PM
Fax on Campus Pay919 General Discussion 3 11-02-2009 03:57 PM
DC++ Off Campus Waaaaataccc General Discussion 16 11-28-2008 10:57 AM
Getting Around Campus Mariah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2008 01:11 PM

On-Campus Transport

Old 09-22-2009 at 10:34 AM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

On-Campus Transport
I'm in Les Prince and my daily trek to and from the engineering buildings is not only long, but very time consuming! I am very interested in picking up one of those Razor scooters... Just the manual ones we all used to know (and many owned) . They fold up so nicely and they're not heavy! I could make my daily trip less of a time waster.

Anyone have any input on these? Where do I lock them up or store them at LP or at any of the engineering buildings incl. MDCL ? (BSB, ABB, JHE, PC...)
Old 09-22-2009 at 10:35 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I'm in Les Prince and my daily trek to and from the engineering buildings is not only long, but very time consuming! I am very interested in picking up one of those Razor scooters... Just the manual ones we all used to know (and many owned) . They fold up so nicely and they're not heavy! I could make my daily trip less of a time waster.

Anyone have any input on these? Where do I lock them up or store them at LP or at any of the engineering buildings incl. MDCL ? (BSB, ABB, JHE, PC...)
You'd have to bring it with you into classes, just as other students bring rollerblades.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-22-2009 at 10:36 AM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Oi, and keep it beside me orrr?
Old 09-22-2009 at 10:55 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Oi, and keep it beside me orrr?

Yup, pretty much.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-22-2009 at 11:32 AM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

So... wait. I've never seen a longboard beside anybody :S Maybe I haven't been in any of their classes though... Are there any options? I mean, someone has to have taken a longboard or a scooter to ABB before, and let's be honest: To fit anything else other than your laptop and bag beside you in ABB lecture halls is not going to go over well
Old 09-22-2009 at 11:34 AM   #6
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I've seen people with longboards in TSH, they lean them against the wall at the front
Old 09-22-2009 at 11:45 AM   #7
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Just do what your HPA does and never leave home without your bike.

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 09-22-2009 at 12:06 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

All the off-campus kids living 20+ minutes away are probably laughing right now. :p

You can always see if there are lockers available in ITB/BSB.
Old 09-22-2009 at 12:20 PM   #9
mike_302
Elite Member

I'll just lean it against the front wall all the time. I think I'm decided then And the thing is, I think I'm further than even some off campus students ! So only a portion of them can laugh at me... Engineering buildings are close to the road that they come from: Main Street is right there... I'm a solid 10 minute walk from JHE, throw on another few minutes for the new engineering building :(

Oh well... Wal-Mart HERE I COME!
Old 09-22-2009 at 03:18 PM   #10
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

A scooter? Laaaame. Just get one of these bad boys, plug it into your sink, and whizz to class in style!

Old 09-22-2009 at 03:50 PM   #11
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
All the off-campus kids living 20+ minutes away are probably laughing right now. :p.
Commuters are rolling in the aisles...
Old 09-22-2009 at 09:46 PM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
All the off-campus kids living 20+ minutes away are probably laughing right now. :p

You can always see if there are lockers available in ITB/BSB.
I'd say less "laughing", and more "crying".
I wish a walk from my residence to my classroom was an issue.

Not bashing the OP or anything. I know 10 minutes isn't enough time to get everywhere on campus. But the freakin HSR takes me an hour and 45 minutes each way. I would KILL to have a 15 minute walk to class.
Old 09-22-2009 at 10:35 PM   #13
mike_302
Elite Member

Lol, okay, sorry. I mean, I understand that off campus is way worse for travel times. But ... You're offcampus, and you EXPECT travel to take you a long time. You pay a little less than rez students do (on a monthly basis, in general).

My main point is: If I'm paying to live on campus, I hate having to live out of the Blue Lounge (although I actually LOVE the blue lounge) mainly because its too much of a time waster to go back to LP on 1 or 2 hour breaks. And on weekends, if I'm going to go to Metro, or somewhere else on the HSR, I hate my walk TO the bus being longer than the busride itself... It just makes SOOO many things inconvenient. Then there's the west end! Solid 20 minute walk from here.

Don't get me wrong I racked up >1000km of walking on foot in the summer.. sometimes 25-35km/day . But when you are in the most desolate part of campus, you feel like any mode of transportation out of this end of the jungle is the best thing ever.

Thanks for the help though Even if it did turn bad on me. I take it all in good fun anyways.
Old 09-22-2009 at 11:25 PM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Lol, okay, sorry. I mean, I understand that off campus is way worse for travel times. But ... You're offcampus, and you EXPECT travel to take you a long time. You pay a little less than rez students do (on a monthly basis, in general).

My main point is: If I'm paying to live on campus, I hate having to live out of the Blue Lounge (although I actually LOVE the blue lounge) mainly because its too much of a time waster to go back to LP on 1 or 2 hour breaks. And on weekends, if I'm going to go to Metro, or somewhere else on the HSR, I hate my walk TO the bus being longer than the busride itself... It just makes SOOO many things inconvenient. Then there's the west end! Solid 20 minute walk from here.

Don't get me wrong I racked up >1000km of walking on foot in the summer.. sometimes 25-35km/day . But when you are in the most desolate part of campus, you feel like any mode of transportation out of this end of the jungle is the best thing ever.

Thanks for the help though Even if it did turn bad on me. I take it all in good fun anyways.
It doesn't matter where you live on campus, most people don't go back to residence for a 50 minute break. It's not like I can just walk back to my house on my 2 hour breaks. Takes me 20 minutes both ways. What am I gonna do with an hour? Nothing at all. I'll stay on campus. -Everyone- is in the same situation.

It's the same with people who buy parking passes. They pay money to park like... god, it's so far. Then they have to take a shuttle bus down near Matthews and still have to walk to their classes. There's no difference.

I mean shucks, I have to walk from ITB to KTH in 10 minutes, and then from KTH to ITB again in 10 minutes. Doesn't matter if you're on campus or not.

And you can bring longboards in class. Many people just lean it on it's side if they're on the end seats, or rest their feet on it (if no one is around them) or just lean it up against a wall.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-23-2009 at 05:42 PM   #15
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'd say less "laughing", and more "crying".
I wish a walk from my residence to my classroom was an issue.
Oh how I long for the Friday morning walk from Hedden to T13 for my 8:30 tutorial.

Now that I'm commuting and have to wake up between 5:30-6:30 every morning to get ready, get a bus, walk to classes from the terminal waking up at like 7:45 for an 8:30 class like I used to sounds like a dream come true. I once woke up at 8:13 and made it to an 8:30 class w/ time to spare.

I miss the convenience of residence.

Seriously man, you've got it good. Walking is healthy for you anyway.