MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless G/Wireless N ?? Melanieee Computers & Tech 10 09-02-2010 04:48 PM
Wireless Issues? blackdragon Computers & Tech 0 07-05-2010 12:16 PM
Changes to MacConnect Wireless mdd1 MacInsiders Announcements 13 05-26-2010 02:56 PM
wireless on campus leek43 General Discussion 19 09-05-2009 09:42 PM
DC++ in the wireless network? Ownaginatios General Discussion 7 12-01-2008 10:22 PM

Campus Wireless: ABSOLUTLY Unacceptable Level

Old 12-01-2009 at 12:53 PM   #46
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Its a problem that shouldn't be occuring, but things happen. Problems will arise, invariably. I just wanted to make a few suggestions so thtat people can still continue their study habits to fullest extent possible when problems do occur, and are waiting to be fixed.

However, UTS cannot fix the problem if no one is telling them about it. Their reply seems to suggest not a lot of people have been emailing them (which is pretty likely, diffusion of responsibility and all that). Anyone who is having a problem, please email them!

Emailing them to let them know, and trying to work around until they fix it is the only thing we can do right now. (btw, if we're paying for internet it isn't a privilege or a right, its a service )
Or, maybe librarians shouldn't be telling people they're well aware of the problem and they're doing everything they can to fix it if UTS is telling people that they haven't heard of the problem yet.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-01-2009 at 12:58 PM   #47
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times

remember that that was one employee of uts who responded to one email. he may personally have not received many complaints, or all the work could be being done by other employees, not directly related to the service desk. if it is a campus-wide problem chances are the service desk, which deals with individual problems, would not be directly involved, but another area of uts would be.

in that case, it simply means the email was as accurate as he could be. which I think is reasonable.

also, i havent been having any problems, but i dont use macconnect that much. hope it gets sorted out soon, although not having internet means i can study for exams distraction free...
Old 12-01-2009 at 01:05 PM   #48
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
yes that was an adequate response.
he told the person that this is the first he's hearing of this. And then he wanted more information.

Seriously, a few hours of no wifi and you all QQ about it on a message board.
email uts, rather than complain on here.

If the HSR bus is late are you going to come on here and whine about that too?

shit happens.
Generally though the help desk for anything doesn't know what's going on because they often don't use the service that they are helping you with. Unfortunately most of them then assume the problem is not with their system but with yours. No one therefore bothers to complain which strengthens their belief that it can't possible be an issue with their system.

Don't they say one letter of complaint means 100 people are upset or something like that?
Old 12-01-2009 at 02:29 PM   #49
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
he told the person that this is the first he's hearing of this. And then he wanted more information.

shit happens.
* Kicks FireDragoonX square in the nuts for being a douche *

iRetaliate likes this.
Old 12-01-2009 at 02:53 PM   #50
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

It's working much better now. I'm in the student center and for the first time in a week I've been able to get onto ELM in between classes.

Yesterday I spent a whole hour trying to get onto ELM and finally gave up. At least it's working now

Old 12-01-2009 at 02:57 PM   #51
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

And let round2 BEGIN! Yet another day that I can't study between 3:00 and 8:00 PM because I cant access ELM. And I HAVE told UTS. Nothing's being done fast enough because in the past 4 days, I have lost >20 hours of study time because I can't access any of the quizzes or notes from my class pages on ELM, and hardly anything from any other website.
Old 12-01-2009 at 02:58 PM   #52
mike_302
Elite Member

I'm in the Student center right now too... It's failing hard though.
Old 12-01-2009 at 03:45 PM   #53
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:

shit happens.

Actually it's been 2 weeks. Please stop commenting, your posts on this subject are pointless, go do something more productive.
Old 12-01-2009 at 04:18 PM   #54
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
And let round2 BEGIN! Yet another day that I can't study between 3:00 and 8:00 PM because I cant access ELM. And I HAVE told UTS. Nothing's being done fast enough because in the past 4 days, I have lost >20 hours of study time because I can't access any of the quizzes or notes from my class pages on ELM, and hardly anything from any other website.
I feel for you and everything, but are you really saying that you couldn't study because you couldn't access things wirelessly? Mac needs to fix this problem, but its not like you:

a) Couldn't start summarizing text and lecture notes from earlier lectures to prep for your exam.
b) Couldn't use a wired connection from one of the many computer labs or libraries.
c) Couldn't print quizzes and notes outside of that five hour window to work on.

Its good that you actually contacted UTS, we need many students emailing them so they realize that its a big problem and make it one of their top priorities. But if you don't make a bit of an effort to work around the problems, they shouldn't need to foot the blame for lost time.
Old 12-01-2009 at 04:33 PM   #55
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Wifi in general has been craptastic the past couple weeks or so, ESPECIALLY in the health sci library. Apparently they're doing hardware upgrades so hang tight (hopefully bringing the range up to 802.11 n?). Hopefully everything'll be working smoothly again come next semester.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 12-02-2009 at 09:06 AM   #56
mike_302
Elite Member

Well, it doesn't take FOREVER to get to various places on campus, but when you go to the third floor of the student center to get stuff done: settling in, getting your stuff out to start doing the final assignments and practice tests on ELM and then BAM... everything is sitting there on your lap and beside you with no use other than to be rewritten.. It's disappointing at the least. And I mean: It's eng. I can't speak for everyone, but I think the way us engineers think means we can't study simply by rewriting... We need to be doing a test of some sorts, getting the questions wrong and learning from all the mistakes Can't do that when all the tests are online, on ELM.
Old 12-02-2009
John H
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-02-2009 at 09:11 AM   #57
John H

Liked: 21 Times

Well, I just got this from UTS.

Technology Notice
Summary: Wireless Update

Wireless access on campus has experienced some issues over the last several days. Growing demand for wireless access resulted in a device exceeding its capacity during peak demand periods. UTS has replaced this device with one offering higher capacity which we expect to address the issue.
There have been some wireless issues in the Thode library as a result of recent renovations which has resulted in increased demand in certain areas of the library. Additional wireless access points and upgrades to existing components have been completed.
UTS will continue to monitor and tune the wireless network as usage patterns evolve.
Thank you for your patience as we address these issues.

If you continue to experience wireless connectivity issues, please contact the UTS Service Desk.
Old 12-02-2009 at 09:56 AM   #58
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Think everyone got that, but at least they let us know. I dont mind problems like this if they let us know but when they say its working fine but its not, that ticks me off.
Old 12-02-2009 at 12:28 PM   #59
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
Think everyone got that, but at least they let us know. I dont mind problems like this if they let us know but when they say its working fine but its not, that ticks me off.

Exactly, I've been e-mailing them for 2 days, and they never once said anything was wrong. They just kept asking stupid questions, like if i was trying to conect on campus. Obviously I was if Im e-mailing the university UTS. They haven't been helpful at all.