MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ipod touch vs. ipod video **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 11 06-08-2010 06:20 PM
iPod Touch Ad Hoc Internet? Penguin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-02-2008 07:24 PM
Ipod Touch myster General Discussion 3 06-22-2008 08:49 PM

Can anyone review an iPod Touch for me please?

Old 10-11-2009 at 11:30 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Can anyone review an iPod Touch for me please?
I'm in desperate need of an mp3 player and I was thinking about getting an iPod Touch. I've never spent much money on personal electronics (the cellphone I have now is the first cell phone I ever got - 7 years ago) so I'm a little weary.

I've looked up the iPod Touch and it looks pretty good for the price. But does anyone have one that freezes a lot? Internet doesn't work? Things like that?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2009 at 11:38 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

If you don't drop it you'll be fine. My iPod's been dropped on concrete and I had a decent shell so the insides are fine as is the screen. However it does get slow sometimes but then again it was a concrete drop. It's a great product and the Apps really bring some extra convenience to routine activities I can provide more details if you'd like

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-11-2009 at 11:39 PM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Don't have an ipod touch, but by large, Apple is pretty good with tech issues, and they have a good support system. That's why their generally expensive...or some of it, anyway.

I've had a 4 GB nano since grade 9 (the old style one, the wider one), never had an issue with it.
Old 10-12-2009 at 12:00 AM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
If you don't drop it you'll be fine. My iPod's been dropped on concrete and I had a decent shell so the insides are fine as is the screen. However it does get slow sometimes but then again it was a concrete drop. It's a great product and the Apps really bring some extra convenience to routine activities I can provide more details if you'd like
Do you think it was worth the money? Keep in mind, the only electronics I have are a laptop (which was a gift, worth about $600) and a cell phone (also a gift from a long time ago, worth about $100).

Do you have to pay monthly fees, for the internet or anything else?
Old 10-12-2009 at 12:12 AM   #5
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

I have an iPod touch and I just love the damn little thing. I bought it when it was about 300$ so it is fairly cheap now. The best part about it, as you already know, is that it has wi-fi and that you can download free games, apps and all. You can watch movies on it from youtube, and all. It is basically, all free.

I personally have dropped my iPod touch so many times, it is unbelievable. It still works, and besides, apple is freakn awesome with their warranty. My headphones broke about, 10 months into the warranty, and they shipped me new ones. The battery on it is awesome, lasts about 11 hours from one charge of 2 hours.

I think it is worth the money, and if I could do it again, I would. The only thing I would change is.. to get a case for it.
So if you do end up buying one, please take my advice and spend that extra 19.99$ to buy a cover for it. The back of my ipod is all messed up now because of my laziness.

PS. I've had it for over a year now-
Old 10-12-2009 at 12:28 AM   #6
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

The iPod Touch is a solid all-round MP3 player and it's has a huge catalog of apps/games. If that's what you're looking for that's the way to go.

The best alternatives at this point would be either the Sony X-Series Walkmans or the Zune HD. Both are priced about the same as their iPod counterparts, they beat it out in audio quality and they both have amazing OLED screens (which means clearer, sharper picture with longer battery life). I also like the form factor and software of the other players compared to the iPhone and the freedom to drag and drop music files (I personally hate syncing with iTunes to organize the music on my mp3 player).

Like I said earlier, what the iPod really has those two other MP3 players I mentioned is the app store (and an 8GB model since the smallest of the others is 16GB), if the app store seems like a big deal to you, you're not making a bad choice going with the iPod, it's a decent choice. If the app store doesn't matter to you, you'd be better off getting the Walkman X-Series or the Zune HD.
Old 10-12-2009 at 12:28 AM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Is the 8GB enough room for games, internet, etc?
I never have more than 1GB of music.
Old 10-12-2009 at 12:31 AM   #8
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

I use a 160 GB iPod Classic. I only have less than 10 gigs left. You can tell that I use it quite often by that info. LOL

8 GB is waaaaayyy too small to satisfy my music and movie needs.

malycknm, Taunton like this.
Old 10-12-2009 at 12:31 AM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Also, this may be a ridiculously stupid question, but can I use the iPod Touch without a Mac computer and iTunes?

To upload stuff to mp3 players, I just like to open the folder and copy&paste. I hate synching through some kind of media player/library. Do I HAVE to get iTunes?
Old 10-12-2009 at 12:35 AM   #10
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Also, this may be a ridiculously stupid question, but can I use the iPod Touch without a Mac computer and iTunes?

To upload stuff to mp3 players, I just like to open the folder and copy&paste. I hate synching through some kind of media player/library. Do I HAVE to get iTunes?
8GB is more than enough for a lot of ppls music

You can use an iPod without a Mac, but you do have to use iTunes and you do have to sync. I hate it and it's my biggest reason for never picking up an iPod.
Old 10-12-2009 at 01:03 AM   #11
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I'll reply more in detail because I'm super tired but really quick you can manually manage your music on iTunes. Syncing is a pain and I'm too afraid my songs will get wiped or worse my pictures or worse my paid apps so, I manually sync.
I think it was worth the money. My favourite aspect of it has to be the fact that it's like carrying a photo album of people I really love with me. There's nothing better than missing them on the bus and realising you "have them in your pocket"

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-12-2009 at 10:09 AM   #12
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Actuslly, 8GB is too small for me too, but it seems silly to buy another ipod, I just make due with what I have.

If you're going with the touch, I would check the internet and see if Apple is coming out with a new model or something soon, if you wait the few months, you could probably get the touch for even less than it is now.

If you want just a straight mp3, an ipod is great, but like some people have said, it depends if you want apps and things. Or any mp3, really, just make sure it's big enough for you. Remember that 4GB is usally closer to 3.5GB.

My sister has a zune and she destroyed the thing. Couldn't figure out how to add music for a week. My sister isn't good with eletronics, and she is pretty irresponsible, but still, I wouldn't get a zune based on that. I don't like the interface and they seem slow to me. But that's mostly personal experience, you might really like the zune, if you get it.
Old 10-12-2009 at 10:22 AM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 10-13-2009 at 09:11 AM   #14
Anamaria
McMaster Employee

Liked: 1 Time

The Zune is phased out of Canada; you won't be able to find it in stores anymore. (I've just found out last week when mine died and went to Best Buy to replace it....)
Old 10-13-2009 at 11:00 AM   #15
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times

the iPod touches were just refreshed, meaning the new models came out like a month ago. so now's a good time to buy, you get awesome iPods that will be the 'newest' model for a while.

plus it's amazing!!! the only reason I got rid of mine was to buy an iphone