MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can anyone review an iPod Touch for me please? Kathy2 General Discussion 48 11-04-2009 01:56 PM
iPod Touch Ad Hoc Internet? Penguin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-02-2008 07:24 PM
Ipod Touch myster General Discussion 3 06-22-2008 08:49 PM

ipod touch vs. ipod video

Old 06-07-2010 at 05:01 PM   #1
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

ipod touch vs. ipod video
Ok so I know this might be an easy question to answer but I just want to make sure. I have a 80GB ipod video but I am thinking of selling it and buying an ipod touch. This would be a better choice right (ipod touch instead of video ipod)? Also how much do you think my black 80GB video ipod would go for with a hardcase and usb which are in really good condition? Trying to decide on a price
Old 06-08-2010 at 12:21 AM   #2
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by **jewel 03** View Post
I have a 80GB ipod video but I am thinking of selling it and buying an ipod touch. This would be a better choice right (ipod touch instead of video ipod)?
If you want to be a sheep, yeah.

...Sorry, I'm just a little anti-conformist. I suppose the iPod Touches are decent devices, but I'm just sick of seeing them everywhere.

If you have a lot of high-quality music, or just a lot of music in general, then stick with your iPod video since it offers the capacity.

If you can see yourself making use of the apps and the features the iPod Touch offers and don't need the full 80GB (or in reality 74ish GB), then I guess you should get the iPod touch.

As for how much people are willing to pay for your iPod, consider that new 160gb iPod Classics are $279 in stores.

Assuming yours is the same as mine (5.5G), your iPod is used, old, and has half the capacity of a brand new one. The hard case unfortunately doesn't add much to the value of the iPod, nor does its condition, no matter how good. I'm assuming yours doesn't come with headphones either.

So assuming I'd pay $280 for a new 160gb iPod Classic (I actually wouldn't):

I'd pay about $230 for a used iPod Classic.

If it was used and three model years old, that might drop to $170.

And since yours is half the capacity, that might drop to $110 or so, if I was feeling generous.

Maybe $100 since it doesn't include headphones.

So I'd be happy with getting $100 for it. Maybe start at $125 or so, and if your buyer wants to haggle be prepared to dip your price a little.
Old 06-08-2010 at 12:24 AM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Put your ipod on Ebay and watch the magic that is first year economic concepts unfold >_>
Old 06-08-2010 at 12:50 AM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post

...Sorry, I'm just a little anti-conformist. I suppose the iPod Touches are decent devices, but I'm just sick of seeing them everywhere.

If you have a lot of high-quality music, or just a lot of music in general, then stick with your iPod video since it offers the capacity.

If you can see yourself making use of the apps and the features the iPod Touch offers and don't need the full 80GB (or in reality 74ish GB), then I guess you should get the iPod touch.

As for how much people are willing to pay for your iPod, consider that new 160gb iPod Classics are $279 in stores.

Assuming yours is the same as mine (5.5G), your iPod is used, old, and has half the capacity of a brand new one. The hard case unfortunately doesn't add much to the value of the iPod, nor does its condition, no matter how good. I'm assuming yours doesn't come with headphones either.

And since yours is half the capacity, that might drop to $110 or so, if I was feeling generous.

So I'd be happy with getting $100 for it. Maybe start at $125 or so, and if your buyer wants to haggle be prepared to dip your price a little.
Wow... I wonder where that puts the value of my old 20 GB third generation iPod that I got in late '03. lol
Old 06-08-2010 at 08:15 AM   #5
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

thanks for your input The reasoning I am using if I do buy is that I have used my ipod for a couple of years now and I feel like the more time I hang on to it the more it will lose value and I won't get as much money for it down the road. If I buy a itouch then it will be something new and I can hang on to that for more years down the road without it losing as much value as my ipod video. On top of that I would only be spending like 50 bucks extra (after using the money that I get from my ipod) to buy a new touch which doesn't seem too bad. Does that make sense? And about your price quote, you were talking about my 80GB ipod right? I got confused when you said 5.5GB :S

Also if anybody out there who has an itouch wants to give me feedback that would be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post

Old 06-08-2010 at 09:21 AM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
I got confused when you said 5.5GB :S
He didn't mean 5.5 GB, he meant 5.5 G, as in the iPod is a fifth generation... and a half model.
Old 06-08-2010 at 10:13 AM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Also if anybody out there who has an itouch wants to give me feedback that would be great

What feedback would you like? iTouch battery life sucks. iTouch itself is already oudated, and I don't think I'll ever trade this in for money, I'll let it become obsolete, then give it to my mom.
Old 06-08-2010 at 05:35 PM   #8
kumara

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Ok so I know this might be an easy question to answer but I just want to make sure. I have a 80GB ipod video but I am thinking of selling it and buying an ipod touch. This would be a better choice right (ipod touch instead of video ipod)? Also how much do you think my black 80GB video ipod would go for with a hardcase and usb which are in really good condition? Trying to decide on a price
I think you should keep your old ipod and get another ipod touch. ,
Old 06-08-2010 at 06:07 PM   #9
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Wow... I wonder where that puts the value of my old 20 GB third generation iPod that I got in late '03. lol
$67...sold it on Ebay last december. Funny thing, I couldn't get a single bid for a 20GB Sansa Fuze, which is a a quarter of the iPod's size, and has waay more features.

To answer the poster's question: You can probably get a $100...nothing more than that tho. If you're looking into buying a iTouch, then you should also consider buying:

i) A touch-screen cell phone. Devices like Nokia XpressMusic 5530 are about $20 more than an itouch, but you get a phone, GPS, MP3, and camera all in one device

ii) Zune HD. I'm a bit biased towards Zunes, but they are similarly priced (8GB itouch is the same price as a 16GB HD), and you get HD radio. Plus, Zune HD is much sleeker, and nicer looking, and has all the features of the Touch
Old 06-08-2010 at 06:07 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumara View Post
I think you should keep your old ipod and get another ipod touch. ,
Naw, if you aren't gonna use it get rid of it now. I have piles of old now next to worthless electronic crap I wish I'd sold after upgrading :p.
Old 06-08-2010 at 06:20 PM   #11
lmasud

Quote:
The reasoning I am using if I do buy is that I have used my ipod for a couple of years now and I feel like the more time I hang on to it the more it will lose value and I won't get as much money for it down the road. If I buy a itouch then it will be something new and I can hang on to that for more years down the road without it losing as much value as my ipod video. On top of that I would only be spending like 50 bucks extra (after using the money that I get from my ipod) to buy a new touch which doesn't seem too bad. Does that make sense? And about your price quote, you were talking about my 80GB ipod right? I got confused when you said 5.5GB :S

You're reasoning is correct. I have been doing the same thing for the last few years. Went from a iPod Nano to a Zune 30 to a iPod Touch, and now to a XpressMusic 5530. As far as the ipod touch goes: its a great device, and most likely you will use it for a lot more than just music.

Pros:
- Social apps...you dont need to be your computer to get a fb notification or an email. If you have a wifi connection, the ipod actually makes a little sound anytime there is an update

- Solid music player

- Apps- you can get anything from a graphing calculator to flash light (just a white screen)...trust me this a really nice thing. Ask anyone with an iPhone/iTouch

Cons:
- Depends on what size of player you get, but your post it sound like your gonna get the 8GB one. I went from a 30 GB player to the 8GB one, and i sorta felt limited space-wise, but 8GB is more is enough for music...not for movies tho

- Battery life. The thing will go 2 days max on a single charge, but its not that bad. Just need to charge everyday

- Kinda slippery feel. The whole thing feels like an expensive bar of soap (or gold), and like all ipods, the edges are rounded, which gives it a nicer feel, but its kinda easy to drop.

**jewel 03** says thanks to lmasud for this post.
Old 06-08-2010 at 06:20 PM   #12
lmasud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Naw, if you aren't gonna use it get rid of it now. I have piles of old now next to worthless electronic crap I wish I'd sold after upgrading :p.
One word: Ebay