MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ipod touch vs. ipod video **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 11 06-08-2010 06:20 PM
iPod Touch Ad Hoc Internet? Penguin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-02-2008 07:24 PM
Ipod Touch myster General Discussion 3 06-22-2008 08:49 PM

Can anyone review an iPod Touch for me please?

Old 10-16-2009 at 03:49 AM   #31
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

What the ****?

iPod touches get internet for free while I'm paying out of my ****ing ass for a data plan with my iPhone? How does that make any sense?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-16-2009 at 08:30 AM   #32
malycknm

Liked: 0 Times

You pay for a data plan for the iPhone, because it is tied with a wireless carrier, i.e. Rogers/Fido. It their 3G , Edge, and GPRS (all data signals) signal you are paying for. This way you are able to have the internet where ever you are (for apps such as mail etc.) Now you are able to tether that connection to your computer, laptop or desktop. The iPod Touch is limited to Wifi only (limited to a certain area where wifi is located). You also have Wifi on the iPhone as well. So, it does make sense. The iPhone is a smartphone, and needs a data plan. I have one too.
_____________________ __
Nestor Malyckyj
Engineering I
Old 10-16-2009 at 04:40 PM   #33
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
What the ****?

iPod touches get internet for free while I'm paying out of my ****ing ass for a data plan with my iPhone? How does that make any sense?
hahaha. Tell me you've been using your data bandwidth while on campus?

Last I checked, the Macconnect Wifi is free for students...
Old 10-16-2009 at 07:51 PM   #34
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

I looooove my iPod Touch! I've had it for 2-ish years or so. I hacked it (makes it more fun + I get to customize it more) ^_^
Old 10-16-2009 at 10:38 PM   #35
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Can anyone recommend any good apps?
Old 10-16-2009 at 11:14 PM   #36
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
Can anyone recommend any good apps?
Fring is a good one! It's various messaging services (MSN, GTalk, Yahoo Messenger etc) rolled into one awesome app.....though you can't actually use Skype with 1st Gen iPods (like mine) :(

Fight0 says thanks to marieeeeeee for this post.
Old 10-17-2009 at 10:31 AM   #37
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Cool I'll ry it out.
Old 10-24-2009 at 02:52 PM   #38
Stephy

Liked: 0 Times

i love love love my ipod touch! its so worth the investment..as long as youre nice to it and dont drop it...make sure you get a case for it. Getting the net on campus without having to lug around a laptop makes my life easier. The apps are fun and theres loads of other awesome features. The only thing id suggest is getting one with more GB's cause you're gonna wanna keep it for awhile right? I got mine when it first came out and it hasn't failed me yet...
Old 10-24-2009 at 10:22 PM   #39
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamaria View Post
The Zune is phased out of Canada; you won't be able to find it in stores anymore. (I've just found out last week when mine died and went to Best Buy to replace it....)
Aww, I was looking forward to buying the Zune HD the moment it was launched in Canada....looks like its never going to happen :(
Old 10-25-2009 at 11:32 PM   #40
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

if you're an audiophile and want the best music quality

only an MP3 player = Sansa Clip
something else ranging from an MP3 player to a full blown Windows CE based Media player... look for a Cowon device

Cowon is better from my point of view because of BBE
Old 10-26-2009 at 12:21 AM   #41
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
if you're an audiophile and want the best music quality

only an MP3 player = Sansa Clip
something else ranging from an MP3 player to a full blown Windows CE based Media player... look for a Cowon device

Cowon is better from my point of view because of BBE
Cowon is definately better, but considering her needs so likely doesn't have any lossless audio files in her music collection, headsets that would do lossless audio justice. I have a friend who's an auidophile and he wont touch anything but Cowon, the Cowon S9 is a really sexy looking MP3 player too and unlike the iPod it actually has some flash and a decent amount of customization out of the box.
Old 10-26-2009 at 06:28 AM   #42
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Ipod touch; not meant to be kept in your pocket.

As well, make notice of the number of people who have cracked screens. I've pondered this myself, but it's not worth it imho if you're the "on the go" kind of person.
Old 10-26-2009 at 01:27 PM   #43
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
Ipod touch; not meant to be kept in your pocket.

As well, make notice of the number of people who have cracked screens. I've pondered this myself, but it's not worth it imho if you're the "on the go" kind of person.
Lemme just say as someone who has experience,

the only time my screen cracked was when I dropped it on asphalt AND had a case on it. I've dropped it 17 times after this (Yes, I'm counting), and it hasn't gotten ANY worse. And I sit on it all the time (keep it in my back pocket)

It is EXTREMELY durable, minus asphalt.

Old 10-27-2009 at 06:11 PM   #44
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Lemme just say as someone who has experience,

the only time my screen cracked was when I dropped it on asphalt AND had a case on it. I've dropped it 17 times after this (Yes, I'm counting), and it hasn't gotten ANY worse. And I sit on it all the time (keep it in my back pocket)

It is EXTREMELY durable, minus asphalt.
Perhaps, but I feel that there are way too many Ipod touch users that have their touch cracked up. I mean, I wouldn't make that sort of statement if I hadn't observed this trend.

As well, I was also referring to the notion of having an ipod in your pocket. The touch is by no means good for carrying around in your jean pocket while on the go because of it's sheer size. As such, the touch doesn't fit that particular niche, nor does the Iphone. On that topic, I would sooner take anything from RIM's product line for phones than an Ipod because of the size once again as well as the general clumisiness of it's design.

Last edited by RoyK : 10-27-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2009 at 06:20 PM   #45
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
Perhaps, but I feel that there are way too many Ipod touch users that have their touch cracked up. I mean, I wouldn't make that sort of statement if I hadn't observed this trend.

As well, I was also referring to the notion of having an ipod in your pocket. The touch is by no means good for carrying around in your jean pocket while on the go because of it's sheer size. As such, the touch doesn't fit that particular niche, nor does the Iphone. On that topic, I would sooner take anything from RIM's product line for phones than an Ipod because of the size once again as well as the general clumisiness of it's design.
The touch and the iphone are literally the same size, aren't they? Correct me if I'm wrong. That's why I was making the comparison. I can read, you don't have to italicize every time you say touch. o_o;