MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can i drop a class in term 2 and take a class in term 1??? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 08-10-2010 12:58 PM
Will the first term courses be offered in second term too? nanaaoyama First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-04-2010 10:37 PM
When is the last day to drop term II summer class? quaglia13 Academics 10 07-09-2010 09:51 AM
Term II Courses: Add/Drop Goce Academics 2 12-21-2009 09:12 AM
Term I Drop Date: November 17 2009 lorend MacInsiders Announcements 4 11-11-2009 09:36 PM

Can i drop a course for each term and do 2 courses in the summer?

Old 09-12-2009 at 04:22 PM   #1
caludujf

Liked: 0 Times

Can i drop a course for each term and do 2 courses in the summer?
Alright so i'm in Life Sciences. I have to complete 30 units in all to get into level 2. My schedule is really jampacked with chemistry biology, calculus, psychology and electives. To lessen my workload and stress i'm thinking of doing physics and an easy elective during the summer, therefore i would have to drop my elective in first term and physics in second. I went to the life science counsellor and told me it's ok, and that the minimum i need is 24 Units. She actually found equivalent physics courses in utsc which i can take to suffice the required course, when im back at home during the summer break. So i was wondering if you guys know that i would still be eligible to get into level 2 and how long are summer courses? 2 months? 4 months(whole summer). What easy electives can a life science student take in the summer.
Old 09-12-2009 at 04:32 PM   #2
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

The summer is divided into two terms (2 months each). So yes, you can take two courses (6 units, 9 units being the maximum) during the summer. However you will have to make sure that those courses are being offered in the summer. If you plan on taking physics at UTSC, keep in mind that you will have to receive a grade of 60% or higher for it to show up on your transcript as "COMPLETED", otherwise you will not receive the credit - Bear in mind that your actual grade will not show up on your transcript. And to answer your question of whether you will be eligible to carry onto 2nd year Life Sciences, the answer is yes because I took Chemistry and Math (both required courses) during the summer, and did get into second year (with a slight delay).

Quote:
Originally Posted by caludujf View Post
Alright so i'm in Life Sciences. I have to complete 30 units in all to get into level 2. My schedule is really jampacked with chemistry biology, calculus, psychology and electives. To lessen my workload and stress i'm thinking of doing physics and an easy elective during the summer, therefore i would have to drop my elective in first term and physics in second. I went to the life science counsellor and told me it's ok, and that the minimum i need is 24 Units. She actually found equivalent physics courses in utsc which i can take to suffice the required course, when im back at home during the summer break. So i was wondering if you guys know that i would still be eligible to get into level 2 and how long are summer courses? 2 months? 4 months(whole summer). What easy electives can a life science student take in the summer.
Old 09-12-2009 at 04:36 PM   #3
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Everyone in life science has a similar schedule as you, learning to deal with the work is going to be part of adapting to university. I really wouldn't recommend taking less than a full course load especially when you don't know how much work you can handle.

But I guess that isn't what you're really looking for.

Lois likes this.
Old 09-12-2009 at 04:47 PM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I won't stress this enough, take a full course load every single year. If you plan on applying to grad schools, some will penalize you if you don't.
Old 09-12-2009 at 05:01 PM   #5
caludujf

Liked: 0 Times

Yea i was hoping to join extra curricular acitivities this year and get a job on campus. But i'll deal with a full set of courses in first term, see how it goes. and decided whether or not to do physics in summer or second term. thanks for the advice guys.
Old 09-12-2009 at 06:04 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

You'll be disqualified from Dean's List and your summer will be super stressful if you drop those courses!

Take 30 units like every other life sci. It's workable!
Old 09-12-2009 at 06:29 PM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

If you're worried about physics, still take a full course load with a "bird" course. Then do physics in summer school.

It's possible to do well with full course load and do ECs / have a job.