MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bookstore Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-08-2010 09:03 PM
Win a $50 gift card to 1280 finklej MacInsiders Announcements 6 02-01-2010 05:19 PM
Math Factor Contest with Cash Prizes for First Years!‏ temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-15-2009 11:34 PM
Bookstore T29 amplified First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-01-2008 09:24 PM

Can I sell my Bookstore Gift Card for Cash?

Old 10-07-2009 at 03:06 PM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Can I sell my Bookstore Gift Card for Cash?
Can I sell my McMaster Bookstore Gift Card for Cash? or is it illegal?
Old 10-07-2009 at 04:40 PM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

If you mean returning the card to Titles for cash:

Probably not (although I can't say for sure, since I haven't read the fine print on a card).

I recommend reading the fine print, or simply going to Titles and asking. It's not technically illegal, but it's generally against the policy of any retail outlet that sells gift cards.

If you mean selling it to someone else for cash:

Then the legality is questionable, but I don't see you getting invesitgated any time soon.
Old 10-07-2009 at 07:03 PM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Go in the store and ask the customer service. They are very nice.
Old 10-07-2009 at 07:57 PM   #4
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Yes, I'm asking if I can sell it to someone.

On the card it says not redeemable for cash, so I'm pretty sure Titles won't give me cash for it.
Old 10-07-2009 at 08:04 PM   #5
Joey

Liked: 17 Times

I don't think that people are going to be that willing to buy it since there is no way for them to know there is actual money on it. it will never expire so just and on to it for text books or the like.
Old 10-07-2009 at 08:44 PM   #6
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I don't think that people are going to be that willing to buy it since there is no way for them to know there is actual money on it. it will never expire so just and on to it for text books or the like.
Err... a quick swipe will let them know there's money on it.

Regardless, I don't think they'll let you return it.
Old 10-07-2009 at 10:12 PM   #7
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Yes, I'm asking if I can sell it to someone.

On the card it says not redeemable for cash, so I'm pretty sure Titles won't give me cash for it.
I don’t know the legalities around it, but if you can find someone who really wants to buy it off you, I wouldn’t see any harm in that.