MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Netflix now in Canada. Cliu91 Movies & Television 12 09-27-2010 05:40 PM
Hello Canada! Icethunder Introduce Yourself 17 06-21-2010 02:40 PM
Help Haiti Campaign: McMaster temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-14-2010 12:24 AM
It's Canada Day Up Canada Way!! temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 2 07-01-2008 07:24 AM

Canada For Haiti

Old 01-23-2010 at 12:18 PM   #16
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

So apparently someone is heavily moderating this thread, because at least 2 posts were deleted. I stay with the statement that I sympathize for the antagonist who started this thread.

Old 01-23-2010 at 05:18 PM   #17
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Hi Dmzz,

Two posts have been removed from this thread. The first was a post by "Infinity" which you quoted and replied to. User Infinity deleted his own post, it was not removed by a moderator. The second post was one made by you which was removed by a staff member after a Complaint Report was made that it was breaking Sections 2 and 5 of the MI Code Of Conduct since it directly insulted an MI user.
Old 01-23-2010 at 05:39 PM   #18
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Hi Dmzz,

Two posts have been removed from this thread. The first was a post by "Infinity" which you quoted and replied to. User Infinity deleted his own post, it was not removed by a moderator. The second post was one made by you which was removed by a staff member after a Complaint Report was made that it was breaking Sections 2 and 5 of the MI Code Of Conduct since it directly insulted an MI user.
I'm slightly surprised someone like you also interpreted the post that way. I commented about said person's education level. Really? Did he get a boo-boo? Maybe he should think before he speaks. He completely and utterly insulted me and my family and the hardships they went through in their life times.

Quoting on someones level of education is not an insult. It is a fact. The poster had obviously not had high education in the history of those countries he bashed, as seen in his poorly thought out examples. That is not an insult in the slightest way. Saying you are uneducated about a certain field, then having that taken as an insult, is quite, quite saddening.

Best Wishes, Chad.

Last edited by dmzz : 01-23-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2010 at 05:50 PM   #19
knox

Liked: 15 Times

The whole thing doesn't seem very sincere. It reminds me of detergent companies acting like they care about the environment by selling concentrated brands so there's less plastic (even though they're pretty much unrelated).

I know there's plenty of children there starving, and I know there's plenty of regular good-hearted people suffering too, but when you go through online photos taken in Haiti and see people looting stores for useless items, looting coffins (yes, dragging a dead body out of a coffin to take it), and police shooting young girls to stop them from looting, it makes me question how I can help someone who can't even help themselves.

And that's without mentioning the sympathy people pay someone as soon as a tragedy happens even though they've been living a tragedy for their entire lives. Does it really take a diaster for it to be morally necessary to help someone?

Last edited by knox : 01-23-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2010 at 01:33 AM   #20
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

150,000 people are confirmed to be dead, but that number will likely rise to over 200,00. Yes, Haiti had a load of problems before hand, but quite frankly that's irrelevant since they would be living in an even worse hell without all the millions donated thanks to all the press it's been getting. Do the whiners here (and the people who are informed of Haiti's history thinking that means sh*t all right now) expect us not to do anything at all? The country is literally in shambles, and it's our duty as human beings to help.

I can't believe there are actually people complaining about all the Haiti coverage in the media, I wonder if the people complaining have ever donated to any cause in their entire lives. They whine about sending money to a country which is in dire need of it, whilst spending money on things like booze and weed. Some truly selfish people here, it makes you lose faith in humanity a bit, some of you are terrible people. Actually even qualifying some of you as people would be giving you too much credit.
Old 01-25-2010 at 06:27 AM   #21
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
150,000 people are confirmed to be dead, but that number will likely rise to over 200,00. Yes, Haiti had a load of problems before hand, but quite frankly that's irrelevant since they would be living in an even worse hell without all the millions donated thanks to all the press it's been getting. Do the whiners here (and the people who are informed of Haiti's history thinking that means sh*t all right now) expect us not to do anything at all? The country is literally in shambles, and it's our duty as human beings to help.

I can't believe there are actually people complaining about all the Haiti coverage in the media, I wonder if the people complaining have ever donated to any cause in their entire lives. They whine about sending money to a country which is in dire need of it, whilst spending money on things like booze and weed. Some truly selfish people here, it makes you lose faith in humanity a bit, some of you are terrible people. Actually even qualifying some of you as people would be giving you too much credit.
FYI: I, among others, have donated.

FYI 2: Your ad hominem is a huge fail.

You seem to have not read anything Lorend or I have said, and decided to just be a bigot and post your mind.

You're a real champ.

Old 01-25-2010 at 08:08 AM   #22
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
and it's our duty as human beings to help.
No it isn't.
We didn't last this long by relying on other people.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

dmzz likes this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:04 AM   #23
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't understand why people always say things like "Why donate to [this country] when there are problems in [this country]?" or "Why volunteer for [this cause] when [this cause] needs volunteers?"

There are a lot of problems in the world. That doesn't mean people can't share their finances and time with several issues at once. I bet if most people didn't donate money to Haiti within the last week or two, they wouldn't have donated any money to any charity during that time. So let's just appreciate that people are volunteering and supporting those who need help.

If you don't want to donate and volunteer, then don't. But there's no need to insult those who do.

AlienSummer, Proxy like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:30 AM   #24
Proxy

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
No it isn't.
We didn't last this long by relying on other people.
Does not compute...
Old 01-25-2010 at 09:42 AM   #25
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
Does not compute...
Yeah, who the hell has ever heard of Darwin or survival of the fittest.

What do they know.

Old 01-25-2010 at 09:58 AM   #26
Proxy

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post

What do they know.
Sure, dude.

On a serious note, I was also thinking on the everyday things. People forget those quite easily.
Old 01-25-2010 at 10:48 AM   #27
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:

What do they know.
You have not survived because you are the fittest. You have survived because you live in a politically and economically stable region with many opportunities for education and employment.
Old 01-25-2010 at 12:21 PM   #28
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
You have not survived because you are the fittest. You have survived because you live in a politically and economically stable region with many opportunities for education and employment.
Emphasis on live, *******.

You don't know that I haven't lived elsewhere. Survival of the fittest most definitely applies.

Old 01-25-2010 at 12:32 PM   #29
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Emphasis on live, *******.

You don't know that I haven't lived elsewhere. Survival of the fittest most definitely applies.
If I recall correctly, you have mentioned in previous posts that you were born in a far less safe area. I intentionally changed my post from saying you were born here because of that. I wasn't trying to personally attack you, just the concept.

I understand that your circumstances may be different than many of the people on this discussion board. That said, I tire of the "survival of the fittest" argument, when the playing fields are clearly not level. I apply that theory to people living in Canada, which is one of the reasons I am more likely to donate to a cause like Haiti than to local charities. People who are not given the same level of opportunity that many of us enjoy cannot be assumed to be less valuable, or less able than us. It is just their circumstance.
Old 01-25-2010 at 12:45 PM   #30
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:

What do they know.
survival of the fittest doesn't mean sitting alone your tiny room typing on your little computer while laughing at other people's misfortune, i wonder where we would be if all of us were like that