MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Netflix now in Canada. Cliu91 Movies & Television 12 09-27-2010 05:40 PM
Hello Canada! Icethunder Introduce Yourself 17 06-21-2010 02:40 PM
Help Haiti Campaign: McMaster temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-14-2010 12:24 AM
It's Canada Day Up Canada Way!! temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 2 07-01-2008 07:24 AM

Canada For Haiti

Old 01-25-2010 at 02:19 PM   #31
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
survival of the fittest doesn't mean sitting alone your tiny room typing on your little computer while laughing at other people's misfortune, i wonder where we would be if all of us were like that
I'm not laughing.
I just don't care.

What the hell did people do -insert x number of years- ago when earthquakes, tsunamis, etc happened? If they could survive back then, they can survive now.

Bad shit happens ALL THE TIME in the world.
People suddenly start caring when's its mass broadcasted. Why? So that 5 years from now when people look back and say "Hey, remember that horrible earthquake? Yea I donated because I'm a ****ing awesome and caring person!"

Congratulations. I'm sure you must feel incredible about yourself.

If you're so altruistic, then take it upon yourself to care about EVERY LITTLE ****ING HORRIBLE thing on this planet.

It's not my "duty as a human" to donate.

If this happened in Canada, I wouldn't sit around helplessly waiting for help and I wouldn't expect it.
I'd be skinning animals, making huts out of mud, and beating the crap out of anyone who tried to take any potable water I had.
It's no one's business to care about if I live or die and it's not their responsibility to ensure that I live.

Edit: When I say you or you're, I mean people in general. Not you specifically.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 01-25-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2010 at 03:11 PM   #32
knox

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
If this happened in Canada, I wouldn't sit around helplessly waiting for help and I wouldn't expect it.
I'd be skinning animals, making huts out of mud
If an earthquake hit Hamilton what kind of animals do you plan on catching, and how crafty do you consider yourself vis-a-vis mud hutting?

And for those of you not on Macs,

Hold F11 for a simulation of this horrible disaster.
Old 01-25-2010 at 03:15 PM   #33
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox View Post
If an earthquake hit Hamilton what kind of animals do you plan on catching, and how crafty do you consider yourself vis-a-vis mud hutting?

And for those of you not on Macs,

Hold F11 for a simulation of this horrible disaster.
Squirrels, mice, cats? Obviously an example, but congratulations on missing the point.

Replace "earthquake" by any horrible thing that can happen.

Old 01-25-2010 at 03:18 PM   #34
knox

Quote:
Squirrels, mice, cats? Obviously an example, but congratulations on missing the point.

Replace "earthquake" by any horrible thing that can happen.
It was more or less a joke, but to be honest, being hit by an earthquake or natural disaster of any kind doesn't turn you into Bear Grylls. I highly doubt you'd be chasing around rodents to skin and eat them. And catch a squirrel? Impossible.
Old 01-25-2010 at 03:25 PM   #35
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox View Post
It was more or less a joke, but to be honest, being hit by an earthquake or natural disaster of any kind doesn't turn you into Bear Grylls. I highly doubt you'd be chasing around rodents to skin and eat them. And catch a squirrel? Impossible.
I have no idea who that is.

You really doubt that I wouldn't do EVERYTHING in my power to stay alive? Seriously?

I'd skin a human for all I care.

I by no means think that my hut would be amazing, or that I wouldn't be crying while cutting off an animal's head. I'm just saying, I'd much rather live.

If someone wants to survive, they will. If something horrible happens to me, no matter WHERE I am in the world, I'm not gonna sit idly by, crying myself to sleep, singing woe is me, and wait for help to arrive.

In otherwords, I would have made one hell of a caveman.

Last edited by lawleypop : 01-25-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2010 at 03:36 PM   #36
knox

Quote:
I have no idea who that is.

You really doubt that I wouldn't do EVERYTHING in my power to stay alive? Seriously?

I'd skin a human for all I care.

I by no means think that my hut would be amazing, or that I wouldn't be crying while cutting off an animal's head. I'm just saying, I'd much rather live.

If someone wants to survive, they will. If something horrible happens to me, no matter WHERE I am in the world, I'm not gonna sit idly by, crying myself to sleep, singing woe is me, and wait for help to arrive.

In otherwords, I would have made one hell of a caveman.
Bear Grylls is probably the rawest human being to ever live. Youtube Man vs. Wild, plays on Discovery channel.

And I agree that I wouldn't sit here idle, but I'm not so sure it's just that easy. Haiti was pretty bad to begin with, and being worse now I don't think chasing rodents, skinning human beings if necessary, and building mud huts is much of an alternative to dying. As figuratively speaking your solution may be, there's no denying that the Haitians are pretty much beyond self-help.

Not to say that this media driven donation is the only alternative, but you can't condemn those that do. I haven't donated and I doubt I will.
Old 01-25-2010 at 03:38 PM   #37
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Some really stupid and worthless humans on this site, is there any way to put people on ignore since I really don't want to read some of these morons' posts.
Old 01-25-2010 at 03:51 PM   #38
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
I'm not laughing.
I just don't care.

What the hell did people do -insert x number of years- ago when earthquakes, tsunamis, etc happened? If they could survive back then, they can survive now.

People suddenly start caring when's its mass broadcasted. Why? So that 5 years from now when people look back and say "Hey, remember that horrible earthquake? Yea I donated because I'm a ****ing awesome and caring person!"

you must be extremely pessimistic if you think that the only reason most people donated would be to brag about it. on a previous note to the person who kept using the term "survival of the fittest", i would advise you take a biology course so that the internet can be safe from your ignorant use of the term. and the reason why there's all this hate on this thread really is because this is the internet, there's always going to be people that feel a need to vent their anger since their lives are complete sh*t, aka trolls, but none of them would have the balls to say that to a haitian, IRL.
Old 01-25-2010 at 04:11 PM   #39
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
I'm not laughing.
I just don't care.

If you're so altruistic, then take it upon yourself to care about EVERY LITTLE ****ING HORRIBLE thing on this planet.

It's not my "duty as a human" to donate.

I'd be skinning animals, making huts out of mud, and beating the crap out of anyone who tried to take any potable water I had.
It's no one's business to care about if I live or die and it's not their responsibility to ensure that I live.

Jesus... I don't even know where to start here.

First, you're absolutely right that it's not your duty as a human to donate. But that doesn't mean that people who do donate are stupid. You make your decisions about where your charitable donations go, or whether to even make any at all, and that is your business. Some people feel like they would like to help in whatever little way they can, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Second, with regards to your comments about what would happen if this hit Canada... you would not need to "sit around helplessly and wait for help". Canada would receive foreign military and financial aid just as Haiti is. I don't think the people of Haiti are sitting around waiting for help. They are doing what they can. There's no doubt that there is probably a large number of people there though, who are so emotionally crippled by the loss of their homes and their loved ones that they cannot do everything that you think you would do if the same happened here.

This is another example of someone judging the people of Haiti and thinking they are inferior to us. Get over it.
Old 01-25-2010 at 05:07 PM   #40
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post

This is another example of someone judging the people of Haiti and thinking they are inferior to us. Get over it.
Uhh... seriously?

Me saying that they don't need help because they're capable of figuring shit out for themselves (just as anyone is) is me saying they're inferior?

Old 01-25-2010 at 05:22 PM   #41
Proxy

Liked: 7 Times

Has anyone else noticed the communication issues on both sides, but anyway...
Quote:
Uhh... seriously?

Me saying that they don't need help because they're capable of figuring shit out for themselves (just as anyone is) is me saying they're inferior?
You must at least notice or come to terms that they clearly are not capable in helping themselves fully hence the reliance in others. The extent of their capability to help themselves is an issue. They need help from others no matter how small or short-sighted/superficial it may be (eg. donating it seems for you and others).

Just from the few posts above by you I really don't think you have even gone through something remotely devastating where even the availability of resources has either halted or is lacking (water, food, housing, safety, running water, hygienics, electricity, etc), or maybe if you have you have forgotten the circumstances. I remember one summer in Southern Ontario where there was a blackout for 3 days to a week iirc. And people panicked and didn't know what to do for themselves. That was just electricity...

Last edited by Proxy : 01-25-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2010 at 05:59 PM   #42
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
Some really stupid and worthless humans on this site, is there any way to put people on ignore since I really don't want to read some of these morons' posts.
Yes, you can put people on ignore.

Click on the person's name, and click "View Public Profile". Once that opens, on the left side, click "Add to ignore list"

brendanp says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 01-25-2010 at 06:25 PM   #43
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Uhh... seriously?

What your post said to me was: "I wouldn't just sitting around waiting for help like the Haitians, I would actually do something"

Which, in my mind, sounds like you think you're better than them.

If I misinterpreted, then that's my bad.
Old 01-25-2010 at 06:45 PM   #44
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
survival of the fittest doesn't mean sitting alone your tiny room typing on your little computer while laughing at other people's misfortune, i wonder where we would be if all of us were like that
If you wanna ****in' talk about where others would be, that's all fine and great. I've ****ing earned my way to where I am today in life, and physically in the world, and I take nothing for granted.

You still want to be a shit-disturber and not just realize what we are trying to say in this thread. Go read Lorend's post, for a second time, in which she clearly summarizes what needs to be done.

Discussion is over. It finished after Lorend's last post. Now go do something with your lives.

Old 01-25-2010 at 09:20 PM   #45
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
If you wanna ****in' talk about where others would be, that's all fine and great. I've ****ing earned my way to where I am today in life, and physically in the world, and I take nothing for granted.

You still want to be a shit-disturber and not just realize what we are trying to say in this thread. Go read Lorend's post, for a second time, in which she clearly summarizes what needs to be done.

Discussion is over. It finished after Lorend's last post. Now go do something with your lives.
i was talking about society as a whole would be nothing if it consisted of people who only thought of themselves, you kept talking about "survival of the fittest", which clearly contradicts lorend's post about helping other nations. don't try to contradict yourself twice in a thread and say it's over.