MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello Canada! Icethunder Introduce Yourself 17 06-21-2010 02:40 PM
Protocol when a class is full? Alchemist11 Academics 28 06-14-2010 08:59 PM
Picketing Will Happen Monday - Here's the Protocol lorend MacInsiders Announcements 25 11-02-2009 11:12 AM
It's Canada Day Up Canada Way!! temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 2 07-01-2008 07:24 AM

Canada says invoking right to quit Kyoto protocol

Old 12-12-2011 at 04:40 PM   #1
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Canada says invoking right to quit Kyoto protocol
Hey guys, have you seen this ? It's in the breaking news section on yahoo, but I am not sure what's going on.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-with...212835999.html
Old 12-12-2011 at 04:42 PM   #2
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Before this gets into a ridiculous debate about current politics in Canada, I'd like to ask the question "Does anyone take the Kyoto Protocol seriously?"

It doesn't seem like anyone's been following it since its inception.

J. Dorey, Tailsnake like this.
Old 12-12-2011 at 04:44 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
"Does anyone take the Kyoto Protocol seriously?"

It doesn't seem like anyone's been following it since its inception.
Not really, I don't follow politics at all.
Old 12-12-2011 at 04:48 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Canada lost any chance of following it once oil prices spiked and the tar sands became heavily invested in. There was little chance in following it, im surprised they didnt pull out sooner

jim1, mattatmac like this.
Old 12-12-2011 at 05:09 PM   #5
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

yeah i agree, once money started being pumped-literally, pumped-into Alberta and the oil sands people just gave up. Still, after all this stuff goin on, people don't take climate change or anything like that seriously, so ofcourse they won't take kyoto seriously either

bottom line, if the people were more educated that the environment-y'know, the place we live-is more important than the economy, they'd step in and say something
Old 12-12-2011 at 05:39 PM   #6
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

I am on holidays now, but I will say one thing: it's about time. The Kyoto protocol was aimed at the wrong people to begin with (along with other problems) people also need to support themselves and their families, and the only way to do this is to have a stable economy. If they want to go after polluters, then talk to the countries that were not part of Kyoto and stop going after countries like Canada. We have to support our economic well being first. Have a great holiday everyone
Old 12-12-2011 at 05:53 PM   #7
EngStud

Liked: 30 Times

Global warming caused mainly by carbon emission is a myth.

The reason why the Earth is getting warmer is because of an increase solar activity. Just go on spaceweather.com and you'll see the increase of solar flares during the past 10 years.

Even if it wasn't a myth... Kyoto protocol goes agaisnt Canada's national interests.

Misspolitics likes this.
Old 12-12-2011 at 06:20 PM   #8
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

im not surprised at all but at the same time a bit disappointed. if im not mistaken Canada was one of the first to sign the protocol, though a bit late in ratifying it. i honestly don't see the point of even starting something unless your going to finish it, but then again the current times make it very hard for us to continue, and rather than being seen as failures, who still tried, we quit. oh well
Old 12-12-2011 at 06:37 PM   #9
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngStud View Post

The reason why the Earth is getting warmer is because of an increase solar activity. Just go on spaceweather.com and you'll see the increase of solar flares during the past 10 years.

Even if it wasn't a myth... Kyoto protocol goes agaisnt Canada's national interests.

seriously?? If you haven't watching an Inconvenient Truth, i suggest you go watch it.
Old 12-12-2011 at 06:45 PM   #10
EngStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
seriously?? If you haven't watching an Inconvenient Truth, i suggest you go watch it.
If it does not explain how an increase in solar flares does not relate to an increase in temperature, I am not watching it.
Old 12-12-2011 at 07:11 PM   #11
oakster15

Liked: 13 Times

Canada never ratified the treaty. The fact that its pulling out now is just a formalization of that really. We may have been one of the first to sign onto it (I'm not sure about that) but it was a poorly executed plan to begin with. It was missing many of the biggest producers (The USA), which means it likely wasn't going anywhere. The Chretien Liberals signed it, never did anything about it, and when Harper got elected in 2006 it didn't stand a chance.

Canada has committed to initiatives with the US to reduce emissions rates, even though they are far less drastic than the provisions of Kyoto.
Old 12-12-2011 at 07:52 PM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:

With about 8 seconds of Googling:

"Aside from the fact that solar effects cannot physically explain the recent global warming, as with GCRs, there are several empirical observations which solar warming could not account for. For example, if global warming were due to increased solar output, we would expect to see all layers of the atmosphere warm, and more warming during the day when the surface is bombarded with solar radiation than at night. Instead we observe a cooling of the upper atmosphere and greater warming at night, which are fingerprints of the increased greenhouse effect."

From some "Huber and Knutti study":
Since 1950, the volcanic forcing has been negative due to a few significant eruptions, and has offset the modestly positive solar forcing, such that the net natural external forcing contribution to global warming over the past 50 years is approximately zero (more specifically, the authors estimate the natural forcing contribution since 1950 at -10 to +13%, with a most likely value of 1%).
Their words: "Even for a reconstruction with high variability in total irradiance, solar forcing contributed only about 0.07°C (0.03-0.13°C) to the warming since 1950."

http://www.skepticalscience. com/so...g-advanced.htm

I haven't verified this data or anything but if anything is a myth it seems like this whole sunflare idea is.

EDIT: This is the article:
http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v.../ngeo1327.html

From the abstract: We find that since the mid-twentieth century, greenhouse gases contributed 0.85 °C of warming (5–95% uncertainty: 0.6–1.1 °C), about half of which was offset by the cooling effects of aerosols, with a total observed change in global temperature of about 0.56 °C.

Our method is complementary to optimal fingerprinting attribution and produces fully consistent results, thus suggesting an even higher confidence that human-induced causes dominate the observed warming.

It's in ****ing Nature, and you're telling me these researchers are wrong and you're right by using "spaceweather.com " as your only argument?

BlakeM says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.

doppelganger, Lois, oakster15 like this.
Old 12-12-2011 at 08:07 PM   #13
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

I'm 18-22 years old and I go to university. This qualifies me to set tax rates for successful entrepreneurs, redefine the complete infrastructure of the USA, decide whether or not a drug that makes people lazy should be legal or illegal, and override decisions made by individuals who spend their lives around a subject and use billions of dollars in research to form aforementioned decisions.

lawleypop, RyanC, Toast like this.
Old 12-12-2011 at 08:14 PM   #14
EngStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
I'm 18-22 years old and I go to university. This qualifies me to set tax rates for successful entrepreneurs, redefine the complete infrastructure of the USA, decide whether or not a drug that makes people lazy should be legal or illegal, and override decisions made by individuals who spend their lives around a subject and use billions of dollars in research to form aforementioned decisions.
In a democracy, you are completly qualified. If many eligible voters agree on one thing, then they can go and put their choice on the ballot.

Even if Global warming is totally caused by C02 emission the very molecule we breathe out and in... It still is not in Canada's national interest. We need the oil sands to create more job and boost the economy.

It is unpatriotic to vote agaisnt oil sands project. My party, the NDP, has completly Failed when it comes to that issue.
Old 12-12-2011 at 09:03 PM   #15
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
In a democracy, you are completly qualified.
You can't be serious.