Class Full mcmaster0812 Academics 2 06-16-2010 09:14 PM
Complicated SOLAR/class full problem.. HeatherH Academics 1 07-28-2008 03:04 PM

Protocol when a class is full?

Old 06-13-2010 at 08:55 PM   #1
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Protocol when a class is full?
Hey guys, so last year I was able to get into all my courses on the first possible night I was able to, so I didn't have any problems with this.

This year, I'm not sure if it will be the same.

That being said, what's the general protocol for when a class is full? Do you just select the 9 other courses, and leave one blank temporarily? Do you choose some other course, planning to drop it and take the one you want if/when it opens up?
Old 06-13-2010 at 09:00 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Hey guys, so last year I was able to get into all my courses on the first possible night I was able to, so I didn't have any problems with this.

This year, I'm not sure if it will be the same.

That being said, what's the general protocol for when a class is full? Do you just select the 9 other courses, and leave one blank temporarily? Do you choose some other course, planning to drop it and take the one you want if/when it opens up?
You should probably take another course that you are interested in. If the course you initially wants opens up then you can switch into if, if not then you still have your backup.

If the course is mandatory then contact the academic advisor of the department that the course belongs to.

If you need the course for any reason you can still try to contact the academic advisor.
Old 06-13-2010 at 09:01 PM   #3
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

pick another so you don't get shut out of 2 (or more) classes and wait it out. check a couple times a day until you get a spot (i've almost always got into classes after waiting, sometimes takes weeks though)...if not, just accept your back up class (make sure you pick a good one)
Old 06-13-2010 at 09:16 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Okay, so I want to get into a 2nd year Anthro class and it's currently full. Since second years are choosing tomorrow (tonight at 12) will they be rolling more seats open, and if so, can a 3rd/4th year get a spot?
Old 06-13-2010 at 09:23 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

If a course is full, choose another course on SOLAR and wait until SOLAR closes for everyone.

After that, go to the course department and ask if you can get in the course. I've done this many, many times and I've always been able to get in. There are always extra seats.
ie. SOLAR may only allow for 200 people to sign up for Political Science 3BB3 online. But if you go to the Pol Sci department, they have access to 5 empty seats for social science students, 5 empty seats for humanities, etc. I don't know how many extra empty seats there are per class, but most classes have this. If you're nice, the department will probably let you in.
Old 06-13-2010 at 09:27 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
If a course is full, choose another course on SOLAR and wait until SOLAR closes for everyone.

After that, go to the course department and ask if you can get in the course. I've done this many, many times and I've always been able to get in. There are always extra seats.
ie. SOLAR may only allow for 200 people to sign up for Political Science 3BB3 online. But if you go to the Pol Sci department, they have access to 5 empty seats for social science students, 5 empty seats for humanities, etc. I don't know how many extra empty seats there are per class, but most classes have this. If you're nice, the department will probably let you in.
All classes reserved seats. I think it's 5% of seats are reserved. They aren't reserved for anyone, but they remain empty in case students that require the course have failed to register in it for some random reason.

I read this in some random McMaster document but it was pretty old so I don't know if this is still true. The document was from the early 2000s.
Old 06-13-2010 at 09:33 PM   #7
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

You are guaranteed a seat in the required courses for your program, right?
Old 06-13-2010 at 09:36 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlenose View Post
You are guaranteed a seat in the required courses for your program, right?
That's correct. I would like to also add that courses appearing on a course list or those that are part of "XXunits from" aren't considered required.
Old 06-13-2010 at 09:49 PM   #9
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Hm, okay.
Yeah, the course is English BTW Jeremy - it's not mandatory for my program, but it is necessary for me to take eventually for graduate/professional school.

Hopefully more slots open over time.

I'm not sure whether some others I'm taking are going to be full or not. If one is in Life Science, can he/she get into all Life Sci courses by asking/telling the department?

EDIT: Oops, just read Jeremy's post. So even if I'm in Life Science II, for example, Life Sci 2F03, 2H03, 2EE3, aren't 'required', they're just from the course list. And thus I'm not guaranteed those courses? Crap.
Old 06-13-2010 at 10:14 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Hm, okay.
Yeah, the course is English BTW Jeremy - it's not mandatory for my program, but it is necessary for me to take eventually for graduate/professional school.

Hopefully more slots open over time.

I'm not sure whether some others I'm taking are going to be full or not. If one is in Life Science, can he/she get into all Life Sci courses by asking/telling the department?

EDIT: Oops, just read Jeremy's post. So even if I'm in Life Science II, for example, Life Sci 2F03, 2H03, 2EE3, aren't 'required', they're just from the course list. And thus I'm not guaranteed those courses? Crap.
Not guaranteed but you can still contact your advisors to ask for a seat. They might still grant you one.

As for English, if you aren't applying to professional school this year then the chances of them giving you a seat is low. You can still contact them and ask, but on top of that keep trying.
Old 06-13-2010 at 10:16 PM   #11
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That's correct. I would like to also add that courses appearing on a course list or those that are part of "XXunits from" aren't considered required.
ohhhh... that sucks!
Old 06-13-2010 at 10:34 PM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Not guaranteed but you can still contact your advisors to ask for a seat. They might still grant you one.

As for English, if you aren't applying to professional school this year then the chances of them giving you a seat is low. You can still contact them and ask, but on top of that keep trying.
Thanks. Yeah, I think you said earlier that you got in with 2 days left before school started, so hopefully I can get in before school starts too. Hopefully they open up more seats tonight, since the 2nd years start choosing tonight as well.
Old 06-13-2010 at 11:01 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I think you said earlier that you got in with 2 days left before school started, so hopefully I can get in before school starts too. Hopefully they open up more seats tonight, since the 2nd years start choosing tonight as well.
Yeah, not sure if they are opened in general of if they are just available to those in 3nd year. Because they can reserved seats for groups of people, so it might still not show up as "available" for you, but it's worth a shot.
Old 06-14-2010 at 01:03 AM   #14
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

5 Of my courses were full........ FMLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLL

danallan likes this.
Old 06-14-2010 at 01:40 AM   #15
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Right now, Solar says math 1B03 is full (BOTH TERMS) which I find ridiculous. Is it "lying" and it opens up on the day Solar opens for the Science I students? (aka tomorrow, June 15th)