MacInsiders Logo

Capital Punishment

Old 09-03-2009 at 10:59 PM   #76
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I agree, however pedophiles in jail maybe not. I would rather put them in another secure facility since it's most likely a mental problem. I don't think they deserve jail just because they think that way.

I think it's the same thing for mental criminals, aren't they put in another institution?
Pedophiles obviously do have a mental problem but they also have the mental capacity to choose to not act on their urges as many do. Those who choose to act on their urges make the choice to break the law and destroy the lives of children. In that case they deserve to be locked up for life. They don't get a break just b/c they were born that way.

That said pedophiles who are put in jail often do not serve their time in the general population. It is well known that even other types of criminals have standards. Those who harm children are the lowest of the low in the prison system and would be tortured and killed in the general population. So in a way they are kept separately from the rest of the criminals.

A mental illness doesn't serve as a good enough excuse to get off with murdering someone. In those cases though treatment and rehabilitation is of course an option as they were unfortunately afflicted with a terrible illness. Those who cannot be treated should unfortunately be locked up in a facility for life. It is unfortunate that they have an illness but if they are a risk to them self or others it is better to have them off the street.
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:01 PM   #77
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Pedophiles obviously do have a mental problem but they also have the mental capacity to choose to not act on their urges as many do. Those who choose to act on their urges make the choice to break the law and destroy the lives of children. In that case they deserve to be locked up for life. They don't get a break just b/c they were born that way.

That said pedophiles who are put in jail often do not serve their time in the general population. It is well known that even other types of criminals have standards. Those who harm children are the lowest of the low in the prison system and would be tortured and killed in the general population. So in a way they are kept separately from the rest of the criminals.

A mental illness doesn't serve as a good enough excuse to get off with murdering someone. In those cases though treatment and rehabilitation is of course an option as they were unfortunately afflicted with a terrible illness. Those who cannot be treated should unfortunately be locked up in a facility for life. It is unfortunate that they have an illness but if they are a risk to them self or others it is better to have them off the street.
Yeah, I know. I just meant another institution people afflicted with mental problems. They would still have to spend their entire lives there.
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:04 PM   #78
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

I agree with you completely they have the capacity to decide not to act on their urges. We arent putting in them in jail for liking kids (although we should) we are doing it because they molest children. Thus they should be put with the rest of the rapists.
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:05 PM   #79
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I just meant another institution people afflicted with mental problems. They would still have to spend their entire lives there.
Its really not the same thing though. Those with a mental illness are often unable to control themselves in cases where they are untreated. Therefore the law allows for them to use the defense that they cannot be held criminally responsible for their actions.

Pedophiles have some kind of imbalance but they are not mentally ill. They are in control of their actions. They have urges but they have the choice whether or not to act on them. Acting on them means breaking the law consciously and they are to be held criminally responsible for their actions. It would be nice is pedophilia could be treated and pedophiles could be treated in a facility but unfortunately that isn't the case right now. As it stands though they make the decision to hurt a child, a decision they know is wrong and therefore they should be held responsible for their actions. This means prison time. If someone could come up with a real way to treat pedophiles that would be miraculous.

To note there are many pedophiles out there who are responsible and choose not to act on their urges b/c they know it is illegal, wrong and harmful. It is an unfortunate cross to bear but they do it.
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:06 PM   #80
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
I agree with you completely they have the capacity to decide not to act on their urges. We arent putting in them in jail for liking kids (although we should) we are doing it because they molest children. Thus they should be put with the rest of the rapists.
O.O I can't believe I completely forgot about that >.< Man, I really have the wrong image of a pedophile in my head :S

Very true, I retract my previous statement and agree with you guys completely.
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:10 PM   #81
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Yes, people who suffer from mental illnesses go to different institutions, because often they do not possess both the mens rea and actus reus needed to convict them. Normally they possess one or the other but are still considered a danger to society.

Or they have both and plead insanity. I remember reading this case in law class... this dude was being convicted of a felony because he was trafficking huge amounts of drugs. But he pled (pleaded?) insanity saying an alien came to him telling him to do it.

Something like that.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-03-2009 at 11:24 PM   #82
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Or they have both and plead insanity. I remember reading this case in law class... this dude was being convicted of a felony because he was trafficking huge amounts of drugs. But he pled (pleaded?) insanity saying an alien came to him telling him to do it.
Seems legit. Aliens are powerful individuals.

Old 09-05-2009 at 11:47 AM   #83
ZZZZZZZZ

Liked: 2 Times

I agree with capital punishment for religious reasons.
Old 09-05-2009 at 12:57 PM   #84
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Pleading Insanity is like the trump card of Conviction Defense.
Old 09-05-2009 at 01:02 PM   #85
ZZZZZZZZ

Liked: 2 Times

What is the definition of insanity legally anyway? I mean a doctor has to declare you insane, but what does he look at to determine that?
Old 09-05-2009 at 02:12 PM   #86
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Wrong, plain and simple.

It has become the cliche, but only Gandhi's "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" really sums up the situation.

If we start killing people because they have killed people, then we are all murderers. Then we enter the moral dilemma of having our designation of people as 'killers' carry no legitimacy since it is essentially the pot calling the kettle stainless steal.

All people have the inalienable, fundamental and undeniable right to life, regardless of their own recognition (or lack of) to that right.

At least one side has to have some morals and stand up for what's right.

Plus, right wingers will be pleased to know that executing people costs more than incarcerating them does! That should please the fiscal conservatives in our midst...

adrian, Afzal like this.
Old 09-05-2009 at 03:48 PM   #87
Al-mansi

Liked: 0 Times

Great topic indeed...
Well capital punishment in my opinion is something every single country should have. I can understand why some people would argue against it, and this is due to their misunderstanding of what capital punishment actually means.
Capital punishment is certainly not limited to murders, someone could receive a death sentence if he or she was spying on his own country...and that is betraying yourself and your nation.

This type of sentencing is so cruel and it is not meant to help criminals repent or reform in anyway...its goal is to take out the apples which are bad enough to corrupt the rest and also to set a great example as to what might happen if you cross certain lines.

With that being said we can look at what type of murders should require a capital punishment. There are many categories of murder; we have murder with its three different degrees (first, second and third degree murder), and there is also suicide (yes it is punished in many countries in case of a failed attempts) we also have manslaughter with all its different classes. Now only one of those is subject to capital punishment, which is first degree murder. If a murder is committed while premeditation is present then it is most likely going to be classified as a first degree murder, not to mention the person has to be mentally stable and willingly commits murder.

In my point of view, it is unfair to see someone who has taken the life of my loved one (simply because they did not want them to live no more) being deprived only of his or her freedom, human life is way too valuable than just freedom. Therefore taking a life away deliberately should not be tolerated and should go easy punished. If everyone understood the consequences of such action we would have less murders...even if putting capital punishment to effect only meant the prevention of ONE murder, to me it is mission accomplished.
Old 09-05-2009 at 09:45 PM   #88
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-mansi View Post
and there is also suicide (yes it is punished in many countries in case of a failed attempts)
Sorry, but that is hilarious. Sentencing a person to death for attempted suicide. That's not a penalty, it's what the person wanted in the first place.
Old 09-05-2009 at 09:47 PM   #89
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Sorry, but that is hilarious. Sentencing a person to death for attempted suicide. That's not a penalty, it's what the person wanted in the first place.
Whats retarded is these people often change their minds when the choice isnt theirs anymore.
Old 09-05-2009 at 09:49 PM   #90
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
Whats retarded is these people often change their minds when the choice isnt theirs anymore.
That's true too, that's why I said "initially"