MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU underground tunnel? ThagsanaR First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-17-2010 10:25 PM
sue mac for carpel tunnel therapy - a different MUGSI issue soltintal Academics 2 08-11-2010 06:13 PM
ABB Thode Tunnel adam7takeo General Discussion 40 03-09-2010 08:49 AM
Is Your Workspace Safe? A Do It Yourself Ergonomics Assessment Mowicz Jobs & Employment Tips 3 08-24-2009 01:55 PM

Carpal Tunnel and Ergonomics

Old 08-04-2010 at 09:37 AM   #16
thatdudeukno

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions - they're definitely something to think about and I appreciate all of them.
I did some research on Monday night about ergonomics and turns out, of course, that I meet none of the recommended criteria, so I began working on my posture on Tuesday.
The funny thing was that when my head was on a desk, I was taking a nap, I began to have pain running down my left hand.
When I sat up and corrected my posture, the pain and tingling slowly faded.
I think it's a nerve problem in the neck, because later, on the ride back home, I had excruciating neck pain up until my ears, also radiating downward to my hands, which is a new symptom and "new symptoms are good. They tell us things" (House, 2004-2010).

I think I may have some sort of RSI in the right hand, or at least be more susceptible to it.
I realised I've been typing on my Mac without problems for nearly 7 months and that it's probably due to the bad posture, immensely heavy backpack, the way I turn my neck and shoulders most of the time (see: sleeping on desks, weird positions to dry hair etc)

I've also begun doing wrist and finger exercises (rotating each finger and then slowly rotating the wrist, then the forearm, then the arm) and slow neck stretches, so again, fingers crossed
I'm not a doctor or anything but isn't pain from CTS usually localized around the wrist area? The cause of radiating pain in your arm could be possibly due to a disk putting pressure on a nerve in your neck area. It's good that you are about to see a neurologist, because if it is in fact a disk problem, you want to attack it asap. I would also highly recommend you talk to your neurologist about having an MRI done. I speak from experience.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditio...atment-options (general info)

Last edited by thatdudeukno : 08-04-2010 at 09:47 AM.

goodnews.inc says thanks to for this post.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 08-04-2010 at 11:34 AM   #17
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
I'm not a doctor or anything but isn't pain from CTS usually localized around the wrist area? The cause of radiating pain in your arm could be possibly due to a disk putting pressure on a nerve in your neck area. It's good that you are about to see a neurologist, because if it is in fact a disk problem, you want to attack it asap. I would also highly recommend you talk to your neurologist about having an MRI done. I speak from experience.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditio...atment-options (general info)
Yes, there are quite a few problems with my diagnoses that are making me doubt them:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome affects the palm, index finger, middle finger, thumb, wrist and forearm.
I have pain and tingling & numbness in my pinky & ring fingers on both sides (which is characteristic of cubital tunnel syndrome). This extends to the elbow at times.

- CaTS doesn't affect joints
But I have extreme joint pain in all digits. Perhaps the CaTS is bad enough to exert pressure on the joints but its weird that the CuTS is also bad enough and that they sprung up at the exact same time.

- A symptom of CaTS is that the pinky finger does not "fall asleep" when the hand does, but mine does as well.

- "Typing" would not have caused this; I've been typing for years on a desktop and 7 months on my Mac; the symptoms specifically sprang up in the 8th month.

- I'm beginning to have back pain which I thought was me not flipping my mattress but has stuck around after I've dealt with it

Edit: and I can distinguish between hot and cold still, despite this get prog. worse for 3 months

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 08-04-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-04-2010 at 11:37 AM   #18
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
The meds are likely anti inflammatories, and those aren't going to relieve much pain or suddenly make your carpal tunnel go away.

Are you sure you aren't pregnant?
Nubbynubbytellytubby, yes, NSAIDs.
My logic was that after popping them 3 times a day for 7 days, the pain should get a tad better because the inflammation would be reduced, ergo, some of the pain.
It didn't really make a difference, nor does Aleve or Advil.

And if my carpal tunnel goes away, where will my nerves hang out?

If it was induced by pregnancy, at least it'd be over in 5 months or so. However, my lack of a baby makes me think otherwise

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-31-2010 at 12:32 AM   #19
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Hopefully your symptoms have/are disappearing, but in case they haven't, allow me to redirect you to an ancient topic:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...0.html?t=22550