MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Cell Phone Plans jhan523 General Discussion 76 09-21-2008 08:13 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Cell phone..

Old 08-28-2011 at 12:06 AM   #1
shashycookie

Liked: 0 Times

Cell phone..
Hi!

I've been researching A LOT about which cellphone provider I should go with. I was leaning towards

Wind Mobile, but I wanted to get some input about this company/ better ones if you know of any.

I'll be living in res, but my parents live in Toronto. If I go with WIND, will I be charged long-distance

charges even if they live within the Wind-zone?

And can anyone explain the wind-tabs? I am REALLY confused about how that works. What happens

to the $0 wind-tab phones? Are there any pros and cons about Wind mobile?

If you know of better cellphone providers other than Telus, Rogers or Bell, please let me know!
Old 08-28-2011 at 12:12 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashycookie View Post
Hi!

I've been researching A LOT about which cellphone provider I should go with. I was leaning towards

Wind Mobile, but I wanted to get some input about this company/ better ones if you know of any.

I'll be living in res, but my parents live in Toronto. If I go with WIND, will I be charged long-distance

charges even if they live within the Wind-zone?

And can anyone explain the wind-tabs? I am REALLY confused about how that works. What happens

to the $0 wind-tab phones? Are there any pros and cons about Wind mobile?

If you know of better cellphone providers other than Telus, Rogers or Bell, please let me know!
You won't be charged Long-D (from my understanding).

Tabs are like "contracts", instead of a set number of years (usually 2-3) and a free/discounted phone, you get a free/discounted phone with a tab. This tab is paid off monthly (10% of your bill prior to taxes), you can do the math to figure out how long it takes to pay it off. But unlike a contract you can just pay off your tab at any time and cancel your plan. You can also not pay off your tab and switch plans at any time.
Old 08-28-2011 at 12:30 AM   #3
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

I recently signed with Wind mobile after having the same dilemma as you. As Jeremy pointed out, you will not be charged long distance as long as you call from the "Wind Zone" and the "plus" to having a tab is that you can leave the company anytime by simply paying off your remaining tab, instead of paying like $200 to cancel a three year contact for instance.

P.S. I decided to get the Blackberry Curve on their Windtab for $99 and get their Smart Plan for $25 rather than go with the Super Smart simply because after one year the rate will change from $29 to $45.

Lastly, some people will tell you that their reception is very bad compared to the "Big Three:" Rogers, Bell, and Telus, but I would rather get a few dropped call and huge savings then go to these big names and pay ridiculous prices for the same features and less to no dropped calls. As Wind continues to grow as a company, they will build more towers for better reception.

Edit: To answer your last point, I researched all/ most of the other companies like Koodo, Mobilicity, and Fido. In my opinion, you get a better value for your money if you go with Wind (more features for less money).

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Swampis : 08-28-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2011 at 12:35 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampis View Post
P.S. I decided to get the Blackberry Curve on their Windtab for $99 and get their Smart Plan for $25 rather than go with the Super Smart simply because after one year the rate will change from $29 to $45.
You're not on contract though, so you can call and switch your plan at any time.

InvisoBill likes this.
Old 08-28-2011 at 12:39 AM   #5
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You're not on contract though, so you can call and switch your plan at any time.
Yes that's true and also I wanted to save that extra $4.
Old 08-28-2011 at 12:42 AM   #6
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

I don't like Wind's selections of phones though... unless one is willing to spend money on one of their top phones. Their mid to low-priced phones seem like they're crap.
Old 08-28-2011 at 01:46 AM   #7
richardysm

Liked: 4 Times

I have motorola xt720 from Wind and honestly, don't get this phone. It lags alot. Wouldn't recommend Lg Optimus phone either.
Old 08-28-2011 at 02:07 AM   #8
vinny06

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardysm View Post
I have motorola xt720 from Wind and honestly, don't get this phone. It lags alot. Wouldn't recommend Lg Optimus phone either.
I don't have any experience with the Motorola, but when I was at the Wind store I was told by a sales rep. that I should stay away from the LG. According to him there were some problems with the phone that were big enough for LG to do a complete review of the phone. If I remember correctly it had to do with the phone turning off 'randomly,' which is something similar to a problem my mom reported having with an LG phone also (a different model with a different service provider, in case anybody was wondering).

As far as Wind goes, I'd definitely recommend it! My brother has been with Wind for over a year and he's basically had no problems (he attends Mac and lives off-campus). There are some places where Wind service can be spotty; however, it should be mentioned that those places are usually places like basements and very specific floors of very specific buildings - something that obviously happens with other service providers as well. To summarize, if you're going to be living on res and only travel within the main areas of the GTA, Wind is definitely a great choice.

*Tip: Before you use your Wind phone make sure it is in the 'Home Zone'. Even though this shouldn't be a problem when you're on campus, it's better to make sure rather than find out you a few days later that you've been charged for a long distance call.

Personally, before I move in I'll be getting a BlackBerry Curve with the $ 29.00 plan. There isn't much of a difference between the bold and the curve, and I'll basically only pay $ 150.00 for it since the rest will go on the WindTab - which I don't think I need to explain due to the previous posts.
Old 08-28-2011 at 02:49 AM   #9
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Maybe you should consider Koodo since they dont have ANY long-distance zones, canada wide calling is basically one big zone! I think its the best option.

I am unfortunately with Rogers just because my dad wants me to be in the family plan thing, so I added a long-distance plan.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-28-2011 at 12:13 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny06 View Post
*Tip: Before you use your Wind phone make sure it is in the 'Home Zone'. Even though this shouldn't be a problem when you're on campus, it's better to make sure rather than find out you a few days later that you've been charged for a long distance call.
You can disable roaming on your phone or by contacting WIND. Depending on your phone you can also manually select networks instead of letting it doing automatically. It prevents it from switching to Wind Away without your knowledge.

InvisoBill says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-28-2011 at 12:48 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Maybe you should consider Koodo since they dont have ANY long-distance zones, canada wide calling is basically one big zone! I think its the best option.

I am unfortunately with Rogers just because my dad wants me to be in the family plan thing, so I added a long-distance plan.
That plan with Koodo is only good if you can live without text messaging, voice mail and caller id. You only get Canada-wide calling.
Old 08-28-2011 at 12:50 PM   #12
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Not true, you can add worldwide unlimted txting, caller id and voicemail for only 10 dollars. that is amazing.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-28-2011 at 12:56 PM   #13
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

tab is sorta like a contract in the sense u gota pay alot for a phone.
Old 08-28-2011 at 12:56 PM   #14
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Not true, you can add worldwide unlimted txting, caller id and voicemail for only 10 dollars. that is amazing.
Ah I see, they modified the add ons. Before all 3 were separate and were $7 for each one.
Old 08-28-2011 at 01:13 PM   #15
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

i have a question about wind, I just got the super smart plan and is it unlimited call to anyone in the wind zone?

EDIT: haha nevermind

Last edited by cjdzl : 08-28-2011 at 01:21 PM.