MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Cell Phone Plans jhan523 General Discussion 76 09-21-2008 08:13 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Cell phone..

Old 08-28-2011 at 01:49 PM   #16
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I got a WIND phone a few weeks ago and I'm happy with it. I have a $29/month plan (NO contract) and I have unlimited almost everything (text, calling, voicemail, data, caller id, etc)
You won't be charged long distance from Hamilton to Toronto. If you are in a WIND Zone, shown here in red, it's not long distance.

http://www.windmobile.ca/en/pages/st...overage.asp x

My only problem with WIND is that the reception isn't that good. I used to be with Rogers, which had perfect reception - but I wouldn't trade the mediocre WIND reception for Rogers prices. I'm happy with WIND.

I paid for my phone in full, instead of the WIND tab. After 3 months, they will unlock it, and I can go to another service provider if I want.
Old 08-28-2011 at 07:45 PM   #17
shashycookie

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by shashycookie : 08-28-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2011 at 08:00 PM   #18
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashycookie View Post
Thanks everyone!
i have wind... not bad.. but i havent tested it at mac yet

Last edited by giftedchick : 08-28-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2011 at 07:51 AM   #19
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

no long distance, better plans, tabs instead of contracts, wind is great.
I also bought an internet stick and tested it out in hamilton for a few days, and I got 4-5mb/s, which is really good, so their reception seems decent in hamilton
Old 08-29-2011 at 09:58 AM   #20
m0ns13ur

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Maybe you should consider Koodo since they dont have ANY long-distance zones, canada wide calling is basically one big zone! I think its the best option.

I am unfortunately with Rogers just because my dad wants me to be in the family plan thing, so I added a long-distance plan.
I agree. I've been with Koodo for nearly three years now, switched from an ancient Motorola to my Curve 8530, on an employee discount (25% off) plan.

Currently...

$20: 100 Canada-Wide minutes, unlimited [email protected] + weekends
$10: Unlimited "Social" blackberry usage, international text messaging, voicemail, call display
-25%

= $22.50 a month

Alternately, they have a package for $10: unlimited international text messaging, voicemail, call display.

Oh and regarding "social" blackberry usage? It blocks the browser, but you can install any number of add ons to circumvent that. I won't post that on the forums because well...it's a smartphone exploit (not illegal, just not what the companies necessarily want.)

If you're not concerned about the total NUMBER of minutes you have, but rather, you prefer no roaming, no long distance, no...well, anything, Koodo's new plans are the way to go.

One of my housemates had WIND, and had to cancel his plan within the year since our entire neighbourhood (we're by Royal and Broadway) gets no reception from WIND. Literally, down the street is a "home zone," and in our streets, we're in the "away zone" which means roaming charges. On campus, WIND is fine, but Koodo works fine canada-wide, with NO roaming or long distance whatsoever. Pretty sweet imo, if you're not concerned about WIND's unlimited minutes.

[Edit] Oh right! forgot about the Koodo tab. Most of their phones are currently on sale, AND you get a $50-$100 visa gift card...which basically pays off your tab. My brother signed up with Koodo for the LG Optimus One, got a $100 visa gift card mailed to him in 4 weeks...that's more than half of his tab paid off straightaway. And he's also got Canada-wide calling, no roaming charges whatsoever, 3G, and no reception loss/away zones anywhere. And in the last what, two months now, he's had no problems with the LG Optimus One. Maybe he got lucky, idk, but the complaints I've seen on the internet and on MI about the phone...he hasn't had any of those. Seems to be a decent phone. (Not that it relates to Koodo/WIND/anything, just saying so about the phone itself.)

Last edited by m0ns13ur : 08-29-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: ^
Old 08-29-2011 at 09:18 PM   #21
shashycookie

So what does $0 wind tab exactly mean? Are the windtabs the amount you have to pay for the phone? If I was to buy a phone that was priced $445, with $95 windtabs, how would it work? Could anyone explain it? :S

Last edited by shashycookie : 08-29-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2011 at 09:41 PM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashycookie View Post
So what does $0 wind tab exactly mean? Are the windtabs how much you have to pay for the phone?
A tab is part of what you pay that gets put on your account that goes down the longer you're with the provider. Its like a contract, only if you break the service plan with the provider you only have to pay whats left of your tab. (no cancellation fees, etc)
Old 08-29-2011 at 10:24 PM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Went to campus today with my WIND phone, didn't go in to too many buildings but the reception was mostly 3 or 4 bars out of 4. At my apartment though I was getting a weak signal which is just at the border of Dundas/Hamilton or whatever. o_o
Old 08-29-2011 at 11:05 PM   #24
love_yu

i heard wind isn't that good.... i'm with fido, they have some pretty good plans~ u should go check it out.
Old 08-29-2011 at 11:47 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Went to campus today with my WIND phone, didn't go in to too many buildings but the reception was mostly 3 or 4 bars out of 4. At my apartment though I was getting a weak signal which is just at the border of Dundas/Hamilton or whatever. o_o
What phone are you using?