MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Best Cell Phone Coverage! jwallace80 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 39 08-15-2010 11:22 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Cell Phone Bill

Old 09-06-2009 at 10:30 PM   #1
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Cell Phone Bill
Ok soo...when I got my phone I looked online at the features that were included in my plan and it said Mobile Browser was one of them. But now I got a text message saying that I owe them $158. When I looked at my bill online to see why it is so high it said:

Used Mobile Browser Usage: Pay-per-use 2.8410 MB Total Pay-per-use 2.8410 MB

But they never informed me that I had to pay to use it.

On my old phone I knew I couldn't use it because it just wouldn't connect. Shouldn't they have told me that I had to pay to use it? What do I do? :(
Old 09-06-2009 at 10:33 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Holy. shit.

Phone them. And complain. I mean, it sounds like you didn't know your contract too well (or didn't have it explained to you in detail) but I wouldn't pay that. I'd be pissed. XD

158 bucks for 2 megabytes. >_< I get 3Gigs free, I couldn't imagine the price if I had to pay for it...

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-06-2009 at 10:34 PM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

It really depends on exactly what your contract says.

Did you get a paper when you signed on to the plan that outlined exactly what was included in it? If you have this you can bring it to them and they can correct it if its a mistake.

I know my wireless company Rogers makes billing errors far too often than I'd like. Human error, typos etc.

If it really isn't included in your plan and you just didn't know you will probably have to pay it. It sucks but they don't have to tell you what's not included unless you ask probably. You may be able to explain the situation and possible get the charges reduced if you negotiate with them.
Old 09-06-2009 at 10:35 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Because a description of mobile internet may have been covered somewhere in your contract, you may not be able to explain that you didn't know how it worked in order for all charges to be dropped.
However you could try calling them, explaining the situation and ask what your options are. Sometimes phone companies can be very nice, especially if your parents call for you. As long as they get money somehow from you or if you're locked into a contract, they may be flexible and willing to accommodate you somehow (how is dependent on them).

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-06-2009 at 10:35 PM   #5
niteskie
Elite Member

Yea, I'm pissed off. I never had it explained to me in detail :@ and absolutely, positively don't plan on paying it.

EDIT: Also it didn't show up on my e-bill in intervals like my minutes are. If I had seen that I was paying for it I would have stopped using it.

Last edited by niteskie : 09-06-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2009 at 10:38 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskie View Post
Yea, I'm pissed off. I never had it explained to me in detail :@ and absolutely, positively don't plan on paying it.
I wouldn't take this attitude until you talk to them. You not understanding your contract isn't fully their fault and it may just be a misunderstanding. If you go into this with a poor attitude or you are rude to them or sound pissed off you are more unlikely to get a good outcome.

Also if there is nothing you can do and the charges stick absolutely, positively not paying won't be cool with them. You don't want them to send you to a collections agency or something like that and ruin your credit.

Just call to clarify things and explain your situation in a calm manner and someone will more than likely be willing to help you.
Old 09-09-2009 at 10:51 AM   #7
niteskie
Elite Member

Yea so my mom called and apparently now it's up to $219...but I haven't been using my phone sooo we're thinking of cancelling with Bell and going over to a different company.
Old 09-09-2009 at 11:02 AM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskie View Post
Yea so my mom called and apparently now it's up to $219...but I haven't been using my phone sooo we're thinking of cancelling with Bell and going over to a different company.
If you're thinking of canceling over this issue call them back and tell them this. If you threaten to cancel they will be more apt to help get your issue resolved and try and appease you so you will stay with them.

niteskie says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 09-09-2009 at 11:27 AM   #9
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Very true, works every time. If you try to cancel with Bell, they will charge you cancellation fees, just tell that to other phone companies and they will gladly pay the fees for you.

Old 09-09-2009 at 11:33 AM   #10
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
Very true, works every time. If you try to cancel with Bell, they will charge you cancellation fees, just tell that to other phone companies and they will gladly pay the fees for you.
Every phone company charges a cancellation fee to get of a contract.

You likely won't have to go through the hassle of actually canceling and then switching carriers, #s etc. Just threatening to cancel (be sure to voice your disappointment) will likely get you help.

If you've been a long time, loyal customer they will be even more apt to help so if you are mention this.
Old 09-09-2009 at 11:40 AM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Bell sucks. Get out now.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-09-2009 at 01:01 PM   #12
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

ouch! you should call them and block your data, that way you won't accidently get charged. I hate how sometimes they add these random charges to your account unknowingly and they expect you to pay but when you complain they give credit back...

cell phones are such a hassale.
Old 09-09-2009 at 04:29 PM   #13
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

Ya that sucks. Depending on what your normal monthly bill is if it will cost less to buy your contract out than do that and go to a good company (ex. Rogers). I have been with them for just under a year now and havn't had a single problem with errors in bills
Old 09-09-2009 at 04:41 PM   #14
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

People..when you sign your name there are consequences. Excuses such as "Like, I'm like way too busy to actually read all that printed stuff above my signature" don't wash.

What if you signed a contract and the other party decided to change it on a whim...due to troubles in the economy, the faltering OSAP has announced that interest will begin to accrue immediately and payments are due October 1st, 2009.
Old 09-09-2009 at 05:14 PM   #15
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Wow, just wow. The first thing you do is you block your data. Lesson learnt. Now go complain till the fees are dropped.