MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phone number Hamilton or Oakville cjdzl Computers & Tech 26 09-04-2010 10:40 PM
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Plans jhan523 General Discussion 76 09-21-2008 08:13 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

cell phone number change

Old 07-30-2010 at 12:55 PM   #1
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

cell phone number change
When moving to mac I'm going to have to change my number, probably 905
but I heard somewhere if you get an Oakville number then it's local to both Toronto and Hamilton
Is this true? because if you get 905 number then call to Toronto would be long distance
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:02 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Partially true.

With my oakville number I can call hamilton and oakville locally, Toronto is long distance.
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:11 PM   #3
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

when you hav an oakville number, it will be local in the city you are in. If you are in hamilton, your calls will be local throughout hamilton and when in toronto, your calls will be local within the toronto area. it doesn't mean tht if u are in hamilton your calls to toronto will be local. it will be long distance. same goes for when you're in toronto.
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:19 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I have an Oakville number (905) but when I'm in Hamilton and want to call Oakville, it's still long distance. When I'm in Oakville calling within Oakville (or Hamilton calling within Hamilton) it's fine, or in Oakville and calling to a 289 number in Hamilton, it's fine. I've heard that getting a 289 number would allow me to call from Hamilton to Oakville without it being long distance, but I'm too lazy to change my number
I'm not sure how it works for Toronto, but if calling an Oakville number from Hamilton using my Oakville number is long distance, I assume calling Toronto from Hamilton using an Oakville number would be too.
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:27 PM   #5
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

that's what I thought, I just read somewhere that if you get oakville number then you can get local call to toronto but whatever
Old 07-30-2010 at 01:42 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I have an Oakville number (905) but when I'm in Hamilton and want to call Oakville, it's still long distance. When I'm in Oakville calling within Oakville (or Hamilton calling within Hamilton) it's fine, or in Oakville and calling to a 289 number in Hamilton, it's fine. I've heard that getting a 289 number would allow me to call from Hamilton to Oakville without it being long distance, but I'm too lazy to change my number
I'm not sure how it works for Toronto, but if calling an Oakville number from Hamilton using my Oakville number is long distance, I assume calling Toronto from Hamilton using an Oakville number would be too.
I have a 905 number and can call from hamilton to oakville / oakville to hamilton locally. I can also call oakville to toronto / toronto to oakville locally.
Old 07-30-2010 at 02:05 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I have a 905 number and can call from hamilton to oakville / oakville to hamilton locally. I can also call oakville to toronto / toronto to oakville locally.
I'm not sure if it makes a difference what your service provider is. Also, 905 doesn't necessarily mean it's an Oakville number...it could be based in the surrounding area as well. Mine's an Oakville 905 number, and I definitely can't call from Hamilton to Oakville locally--I get an automated message every time telling me that long-distance charges will apply.
Old 07-30-2010 at 02:09 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if it makes a difference what your service provider is. Also, 905 doesn't necessarily mean it's an Oakville number...it could be based in the surrounding area as well. Mine's an Oakville 905 number, and I definitely can't call from Hamilton to Oakville locally--I get an automated message every time telling me that long-distance charges will apply.
I live in oakville, and got my number from here 3 years ago (thats why I managed a 905, ive heard now only 289's are left). Im with TELUS by the way.
Old 07-30-2010 at 02:12 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I live in oakville, and got my number from here 3 years ago (thats why I managed a 905, ive heard now only 289's are left). Im with TELUS by the way.
I'm with Bell, but I don't know if it makes a difference--I also live in Oakville and have had my number for years. I know a few people from here who go to Mac who switched to a 289 Burlington number so that they could call locally back & forth from Oakville and Hamilton...one of them was with Rogers, but I'm not sure about the rest :S
Old 07-30-2010 at 02:50 PM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm with Bell, but I don't know if it makes a difference--I also live in Oakville and have had my number for years. I know a few people from here who go to Mac who switched to a 289 Burlington number so that they could call locally back & forth from Oakville and Hamilton...one of them was with Rogers, but I'm not sure about the rest :S
Thats really odd :S

I guess TELUS is the way to go!
Old 07-30-2010 at 03:11 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

It should also be noted that if you get an Oakville number, you have to be within the range of the Oakville telecommunication towers in order for incoming calls to be local.

To make it easier to understand, if you have a Toronto number and pick up your cellphone in Hamilton, you will be charged long distance.
Old 07-30-2010 at 03:12 PM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
To make it easier to understand, if you have a Toronto number and pick up your cellphone in Hamilton, you will be charged long distance.
Hmm, never happened to me. Ive gotten a few phone calls from toronto when i was in hamilton last year, and no additional charges.
Old 07-30-2010 at 03:16 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Hmm, never happened to me. Ive gotten a few phone calls from toronto when i was in hamilton last year, and no additional charges.
That's weird... maybe it depends on the provider. I'm with Virgin.
Old 07-30-2010 at 03:19 PM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That's weird... maybe it depends on the provider. I'm with Virgin.
Hmm possibly
Old 07-30-2010 at 04:26 PM   #15
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubz View Post
when you hav an oakville number, it will be local in the city you are in. If you are in hamilton, your calls will be local throughout hamilton and when in toronto, your calls will be local within the toronto area. it doesn't mean tht if u are in hamilton your calls to toronto will be local. it will be long distance. same goes for when you're in toronto.
dead on!