MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Choosing the Right Cell Phone Plan: Some Things to Consider saukalra ARCHIVES 61 08-26-2009 02:21 PM
Cell Phone Plans jhan523 General Discussion 76 09-21-2008 08:13 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Cell Phone Plan?

Old 07-18-2009 at 05:43 PM   #16
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliver View Post
so calling toronto with a hamilton number in toronto counts as local while picking up in toronto with a hamilton number counts as long distance? that's quite confusing lol.

what would be the cheapest plan from which company?
I don't really text much.. nor do i call much. but i do wish to get some long distance hours, as i may need to call my parents or relatives.

thanks in advance!
Yeah it's really confusing to understand at first, but Bushra explained it really well above.

If you don't call much, you might just want to get some kind of cheap long distance plan so you can speak to your parents a bit every month without breaking the bank. Or just use a calling card.

hyvaa says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 07-18-2009 at 05:50 PM   #17
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Local and long distance plans depend on where you're calling from, Daniel.
Let's say all Mississauga numbers are 888 numbers and Hamilton numbers are 999 numbers.

If I live in Mississauga, with an 888 number, when I call Hamilton FROM Mississauga, it is a long distance call. When I am in Hamilton and call Mississauga it is a long distance call. But to the best of my recollection, when in Hamilton and calling Hamilton DESPITE having an 888 number, it is a local call.

If I live in Hamilton, with a 999 number, when I call Hamilton from Hamilton = local.
Hamilton to Mississauga = local distance.
Calling Mississauga while IN Mississauga, despite having a 999 number = local.

I think your best bet is a prepaid account because you aren't signing any contract and avoiding a contract is never a bad financial move. Wait until you get settled and see who calls you more often, or whom you call. I would suggest getting a Hamilton number because you will be calling from Hamilton a lot and making several new friends in Hamilton that you will be in touch with regularly.

You may want to have a landline simply because I think if your parents call you from Toronto (or Mississauga, for the OP), I believe landline to landline calls are cheaper than receiving calls on your cell where you might get stuck with a crappy or expensive plan which overcharges you for or doesn't allow free incoming.
oh okay so it doesn't really matter whether i have a toronto number or a hamilton number, i guess, in terms of expenses.
Old 07-18-2009 at 05:51 PM   #18
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
oh okay so it doesn't really matter whether i have a toronto number or a hamilton number, i guess, in terms of expenses.
I would just suggest a Hamilton number to make it more convenient for school.
Old 07-18-2009 at 06:01 PM   #19
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
I would recommend you to have an Oakville number because of these benefits:
- If you are in Hamilton or in Toronto, you will not have to pay any roaming incoming charges. If you are in Toronto, you can make local calls in Toronto and if you are in Hamilton, you can make local calls in Hamilton.
- If you are in Hamilton and someone calls you from Toronto/Mississauga area, it would be a local call for them and the caller does not have to pay any long distance charges
I'm not 100% sure if this is true for all of Toronto or only a part of it but you can confirm that from your cell phone provider.
I was commuting from Mississauga last year and i had an Oakville number.

hyvaa says thanks to saukalra for this post.
Old 07-18-2009 at 06:46 PM   #20
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Look for Telus EPP plan. 17.30$ a month

-200 anytime mins
-unlim. after 6pm and weekends
-call display
-mini voicemail

hyvaa says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 07-18-2009 at 09:00 PM   #21
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I would definitely get a Hamilton number. When I'm back home and I make calls, I'm not charged long distance.

My 5 is good for calling home and other important long distance friends.
Old 07-18-2009 at 09:34 PM   #22
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
Just in case anyone is opting for a Blackberry/iPhone, smartphone plans with the My5+5 bonus aren't available.

I currently have a $45 Blackberry plan with 300 anytime minutes (after complaining a bit), My5, 500 MB of data, and unlimited texting. I had to give up the My5+5 plan when I upgraded to the smartphone.
Who's your cell phone provider?

Last edited by Joseph : 07-18-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2009 at 10:24 PM   #23
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Who's your cell phone provider?
It has to be Rogers since my5 is their plan.
Old 07-19-2009 at 09:18 AM   #24
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Telus has that kind of plan, called Fav5 or something
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:45 AM   #25
jwei

Liked: 0 Times

Just thought I'd mention that I work at a Telus location in Hamilton, if anyone is planning to sign up, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Old 07-24-2009 at 12:40 PM   #26
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

so you can make some commission or can you hook us up with a nice plan and get rid of the SAF?
Old 07-24-2009 at 12:52 PM   #27
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
so you can make some commission or can you hook us up with a nice plan and get rid of the SAF?
My guess would be both, win-win.
Old 07-24-2009 at 01:55 PM   #28
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

na i doubt he'd be able to hook you up with a sweet plan, probably just set you up and wave the activation fee, right?

and if you can, try waiting a bit and see what the new entrants offer since they will soon be starting up. (globalive, DAVE, Public Mobile)

i have telus student plan 35 (10 fav numbers), unlimited web browsing, 250 extra (not on top 10) texts/unlimited incoming, evenings+weekends @ 6, voicemail+cid

bill comes to about $55-60/month.

meh. i wanna try to get it cheaper/better but im just finishing up 2 years of my 3 year contract in august, so ill give telus a call in a couple months
Old 07-24-2009 at 02:43 PM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Students plans will also come out later before school starts, so wait for those.
Old 08-16-2009 at 04:45 PM   #30
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
Just in case anyone is opting for a Blackberry/iPhone, smartphone plans with the My5+5 bonus aren't available.

I currently have a $45 Blackberry plan with 300 anytime minutes (after complaining a bit), My5, 500 MB of data, and unlimited texting. I had to give up the My5+5 plan when I upgraded to the smartphone.
Hmm that's weird. I've had my 5+5 for almost two years now & just recently I upgraded to a Blackberry Bold Smartphone and I was still able to keep my 5+5 plan. Still using it today.