MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CUPE Members to vote on offer previously reject by the bargaining team DannyV General Discussion 13 11-05-2009 07:05 AM
CUPE 3906 is Self-Serving InYoutoGive General Discussion 72 11-02-2009 10:54 AM
McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 139 11-01-2009 05:08 PM
CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Gets Strong Strike Mandate: 50% Higher Turnout Than 2006 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-24-2009 06:30 PM

Censorship on the CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Bargaining Blog?

Old 10-29-2009 at 07:06 PM   #46
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
You (and I mean the union collectively, not you alone) refer to the "quality of education" a lot. I wonder...what quality of education we will get with NO TAs vs few TAs? It seems having a few is better than having none, especially for the courses that are 5/6 labs or tutorials, as previously mentioned. If you really gave two shits about the quality of education, there would be no strike. Negotiations happen all the time without unions pulling workers out of the workplace. So please, just say it like it is. We all know its about money, and nothing else. There's no altruistic reason a strike may be happening.
Quoted for truth.

If the Union actually gave a damn about students (including the TAs they are representing, like ones that don't want to strike) or the quality of education there wouldn't be a strike mandate as a "last resort."

AYuen, Taunton like this.
Old 10-29-2009 at 08:25 PM   #47
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I just want to point out that CUPE's "About Cupe" page starts with a nice picture of "CUPE ON STRIKE" and people smiling

http://cupe.ca/about

I also believe their slogan is "on the front lines" or something.

Their only purpose is to disrupt work, it seems

DannyV, Taunton all say thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 10-29-2009 at 08:50 PM   #48
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Thanks, micadjems!

Also on the CUPE site is a form which is prefaced by
Quote:
CUPE 3906, representing over 3000 academic workers at McMaster University, is facing a strike deadline at the end of October.

They are trying to secure a fair deal that addresses issues such as overcrowded classes and heavy workloads, benefits erosion and tuition fees increase protection. Instead of working towards a fair deal, management has failed to address these outstanding issues.

We need your help to secure a contract that addresses the core issues that affect students, the university and their workers. Please send a message to the management team at McMaster University and tell them to offer their workers a fair deal and avert a strike.
Basically it's a form where you fill in your name, email, etc. and which has a canned message for the management (i.e. McMaster's) team. Here's the URL http://cupe.ca/takeAction.php?action...actionID= 191

The canned response is editable so what I've done is sent a message of support for McMaster's position. I don't know if it's moderated but if it's not here's your chance to send your support to McMaster's bargaining team.

Kathy2, Taunton all say thanks to DannyV for this post.

ash0000, micadjems, Taunton like this.
Old 10-29-2009 at 09:06 PM   #49
arbeaug

Liked: 7 Times

I'm Gord Arbeau, Associate Director of Public Relations at McMaster. I read macinsiders and find the threads and discussions interesting.

I wanted to correct a factual error in this thread. There is a memo to course instructors regarding the possible strike. It is available online on the University web site: http://www.workingatmcmaster .ca/me...ation-1-42.pdf

Under Point #3 the memo specifically says TAs choosing to work during a strike cannot/will not be asked to work more than their normal hours.

Here's what the document actually says: (hope this corrects this error)

3. "A TA who chooses to continue to work during a strike is not to be asked to take on work in another course where the TA(s) in that course courses is participating in the strike. However, within a course that has multiple TAs, the TA work can be reprioritized amongst the working TAs, provided that no one is asked or required to exceed the normal weekly hours or the total hours of his/her TAship.

Thanks

adrian, Afzal, ash0000, AYuen, daisy, DannyV, hummeld, kleung, lorend, Pay919, Taunton, zombiejesus all say thanks to arbeaug for this post.

Old 10-29-2009 at 09:10 PM   #50
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeaug View Post
I'm Gord Arbeau, Associate Director of Public Relations at McMaster. I read macinsiders and find the threads and discussions interesting.

I wanted to correct a factual error in this thread. There is a memo to course instructors regarding the possible strike. It is available online on the University web site: http://www.workingatmcmaster .ca/me...ation-1-42.pdf

Under Point #3 the memo specifically says TAs choosing to work during a strike cannot/will not be asked to work more than their normal hours.

3. "A TA who chooses to continue to work during a strike is not to be asked to take on work in another course where the TA(s) in that course courses is participating in the strike. However, within a course that has multiple TAs, the TA work can be reprioritized amongst the working TAs, provided that no one is asked or required to exceed the normal weekly hours or the total hours of his/her TAship.

Thanks
Thanks so much! Great counter to some of the union propaganda that's been sent our way!
Old 10-29-2009 at 09:28 PM   #51
hummeld

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeaug View Post

Thanks
Thanks, Gord. This information actually renders my last question directed at Derek irrelevant. I'm interested to see how he'll respond.
Old 10-29-2009 at 09:33 PM   #52
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummeld View Post
Thanks, Gord. This information actually renders my last question directed at Derek irrelevant. I'm interested to see how he'll respond.
Me too, though I suspect he won't (at least before the deadline)... they'll be bargaining now until the end of tomorrow (presuming they don't reach an impasse) and there will either be a strike or not be a strike.

We'll see though.
Old 10-29-2009 at 10:44 PM   #53
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Scabs, eh?

Well, I call you guys selfish douchebags who will possibly rob me of my education and money.

So uh... yea. I can call you names too. Difference is, I don't have anything to lose by it.

But, I dunno. I guess threatening your own members with legal repercussions is always a good way to get people to side with you.

Yay, fear!

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:35 PM   #54
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Just a note - I met with the CUPE President and asked her straight up what "legal action" could mean. This term is used to describe the possibility of a "Union Trial" where they can revoke your voting rights within CUPE. That's all it means. For those of us that want to cross...do we really care if we have a vote or not - it obviously doesn't mean much.

DannyV, hummeld, kleung all say thanks to McIntyre for this post.

DannyV, kleung, redex, Taunton like this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:50 PM   #55
Steve_H

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
Its not meant to be a threat, but people should be aware the membership has the power to institute various measures through the constitution.

There will be an impact on students if we do have to go on strike. Its up to the university to sort out how they meet those learning outcomes for the course once a strike is over. I think we would all expect that labs and tutorials would be made up through some sort of modified semester. It would be an inconvenience for students, but McMaster has a responsibility to provide the education students and taxpayers are paying for. If students are "robb[ed]" of their education, it will be because McMaster refused to find a solution before or after a strike, not because we choose to withdraw our labour.

One of the problems with scabbing is that it tends to prolong strikes my reducing the impact and pressure on the employer to find a solution. The best thing you can do to try and avert a strike and make all of these worries a moot point is to send a message to the McMaster Administration to get to the bargaining table. For the record, they still haven't responded to us or said anything to us yet today and we've been waiting for HOURS. Here's the link where you can send a message:
http://cupe.ca/takeAction.php?action...actionID= 191
CUPE are some of the biggest bullies out there. My point has already been made by numerous other people who have posted on this thread, but essentially you are a bunch of power hungry bullies who want attention, and unfortunatley its working. You make me sick.

AYuen, malycknm, Taunton like this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:52 PM   #56
hummeld

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
Just a note - I met with the CUPE President and asked her straight up what "legal action" could mean. This term is used to describe the possibility of a "Union Trial" where they can revoke your voting rights within CUPE. That's all it means. For those of us that want to cross...do we really care if we have a vote or not - it obviously doesn't mean much.
Thanks for the info. It's frustrating when your vote always seems to land on the losing side of any union referendum.

Hopefully it will be a non-issue (this time), but since we're past the deadline it is a real possibility.
Old 10-31-2009 at 12:29 AM   #57
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Scabs...At least it's a cool nickname. I'm glad they're not calling us "Muffins" or something girly.
Old 10-31-2009 at 12:46 AM   #58
kleung

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
This is exactly why every TA should be down-right pissed at CUPE.

Crappy strike mandate vote this time around? Simple. Just remove the right of the opposition to vote. In 2011, they can have their 100% mandate. "Rah rah rah, in solidarity! We're awesome!"

In the event of a strike, it's my right to work, it's my right not to wear a stupid red square, and it's my right not to parrot the union approved message.

AYuen, DannyV, malycknm, Taunton like this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 01:09 AM   #59
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

A lot of TAs will be strike-breaking; so I'm sure this won't go as well for CUPE as they plan for it to.

Last edited by PTGregD : 10-31-2009 at 01:11 AM.

malycknm, Taunton like this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:23 AM   #60
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Dear CUPE 3906 members and the McMaster Community,

As you know from our consistent blog updates and from the McMaster Daily News, the CUPE 3906 bargaining team received a “best offer” package from the employer at 4:14 am, Saturday morning. Inexplicably, the “best offer” is actually several backward steps removed from the offer that they presented less than 10 hours shy of the strike deadline. On monetary issues, the most significant retreat was resetting benefits funding to 2006 collective agreement levels. This was countered by a paltry 5 cent per hour increase to the wage rate. In short, they made no effort to address the core issues of workload, benefits and access to positions for fifth-year doctoral students.

Since the strike deadline has passed and with the employer walking away from the table without acknowledging any of the issues our members clearly have identified as priorities, the bargaining team has had no choice but to ask the mediator to inform the employer that TAs are ready to withdraw their labour until a fair settlement is reached. Job action will begin at 8:00 am on Monday, 2 November 2009 and at that time, CUPE 3906 Unit #1 will be on strike.

The bargaining team has prepared a position document which reflects the current status of its proposals. To be sure, this document represents, in substance and in detail, the framework for the ultimate collective agreement. We invite members to study the document and compare it to the skeletal script the employer advertises. In order to give all members the fullest sense of the situation we anticipate an information meeting will be held on Sunday, 1 November 2009. The time and the location of the meeting will be announced on our website, on our blog and via email as soon as the space is finalized.

Sincerely,

The elected CUPE 3906 Bargaining