MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CUPE Members to vote on offer previously reject by the bargaining team DannyV General Discussion 13 11-05-2009 07:05 AM
CUPE 3906 is Self-Serving InYoutoGive General Discussion 72 11-02-2009 10:54 AM
McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 139 11-01-2009 05:08 PM
CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Gets Strong Strike Mandate: 50% Higher Turnout Than 2006 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-24-2009 06:30 PM

Censorship on the CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Bargaining Blog?

Old 10-31-2009 at 07:38 AM   #61
AYuen

Liked: 41 Times

From the dailynews:

Smith says, "Calling a strike is a significant step and to do so without at least letting TAs and RAs vote doesn't seem fair to either the bargaining unit members or the students who will be most impacted by a strike. It's not too late for CUPE to reconsider its decision and to call a vote before any picket lines are in place."

Now, Mac is pointing fingers at CUPE and CUPE is pointing fingers at Mac, so it's hard to get the real story. But I do remember in 2006 that we were given the option of voting for the final offer, even after 'we' had voted yes for the strike mandate.

Derek, care to comment? Is CUPE actually stopping us from trying to decide ourselves? If you are so sure that CUPE represents us, then why not let us vote?
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:40 AM   #62
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I skimmed the comments on some of the posts (don't have enough time to read them all) and it looks like there is only pro-CUPE and pro-union comments.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:43 AM   #63
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYuen View Post
From the dailynews:

Smith says, "Calling a strike is a significant step and to do so without at least letting TAs and RAs vote doesn't seem fair to either the bargaining unit members or the students who will be most impacted by a strike. It's not too late for CUPE to reconsider its decision and to call a vote before any picket lines are in place."

Now, Mac is pointing fingers at CUPE and CUPE is pointing fingers at Mac, so it's hard to get the real story. But I do remember in 2006 that we were given the option of voting for the final offer, even after 'we' had voted yes for the strike mandate.

Derek, care to comment? Is CUPE actually stopping us from trying to decide ourselves? If you are so sure that CUPE represents us, then why not let us vote?
They didn't ask for us to call a vote. They asked for us to recommend it unanimously. We quite obviously can't do that as its a steaming pile of crap contract. Excuse my language but I haven't sleep since Wednesday.

Derek
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:50 AM   #64
dsahota

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYuen View Post
From the dailynews:

If the offer was anywhere near the ballpark, we certainly would have brought it back. But its so far off and so ridiculous, bringing it back to a vote really just prolongs the process without any appreciable gain. They even took off the little bit of money they finally agreed to put into benefits, when they put the final offer on the table.

With our strong strike mandate and the membership support we've seen throughout bargaining and especially at our information session last week, we just don't think doing a vote (which requires notice, several days of prep, etc) makes any sense.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:51 AM   #65
InYoutoGive

I'm pretty sure the university is just inviting you guys to strike, because they know what the post-York public reaction will be. Guess how much people are going to feel for the people on strike that make $40 an hour already. Yep, that's right. Not at all.

Furthermore, do you feel that bargaining while on no sleep is effective and useful? I would certainly hope it is, seeing as you claim to represent my interests.

Hope you guys don't get in my way on Monday.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:53 AM   #66
AYuen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
They didn't ask for us to call a vote. They asked for us to recommend it unanimously. We quite obviously can't do that as its a steaming pile of crap contract. Excuse my language but I haven't sleep since Wednesday.
Thanks Derek for your clarification.

I think the deal is great, and that $30+/hour is already practically stealing, but I do appreciate your side of the story.

As you can imagine, I would love the opportunity to at least put this to a vote so that the membership can decide for itself.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:53 AM   #67
plutoz

Liked: 9 Times

Curious that the university has not called for a labour board mandated vote on their "final offer" like they did during the CAW negotiations - or maybe they still will?
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:55 AM   #68
dsahota

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYoutoGive View Post
I'm pretty sure the university is just inviting you guys to strike, because they know what the post-York public reaction will be. Guess how much people are going to feel for the people on strike that make $40 an hour already. Yep, that's right. Not at all.

Furthermore, do you feel that bargaining while on no sleep is effective and useful? I would certainly hope it is, seeing as you claim to represent my interests.

Hope you guys don't get in my way on Monday.
Unfortunately on no sleep is the way these things work (hence why they're called marathon bargaining sessions). Its a method to essentially use tiredness and frustration to get both sides to move off their positions. We certainly hoped to have a deal by now so we could all go home to bed, but that appears not to be.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:58 AM   #69
dsahota

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoz View Post
Curious that the university has not called for a labour board mandated vote on their "final offer" like they did during the CAW negotiations - or maybe they still will?
They likely haven't done that because they only get to use that once during a bargaining round. They know their offer right now is completely below the norm in the sector, even in difficult financial times, and will soundly be rejected by our membership. If they thought otherwise, they would have just called the forced ratification instead of asking us to recommend it to our members.
Old 10-31-2009 at 08:02 AM   #70
InYoutoGive

Quote:
Unfortunately on no sleep is the way these things work (hence why they're called marathon bargaining sessions). Its a method to essentially use tiredness and frustration to get both sides to move off their positions. We certainly hoped to have a deal by now so we could all go home to bed, but that appears not to be.
I'd rather have reason and good judgment rule the day, thanks. Your 'stamina' and 'resolve' are certainly not impressing me.

Also, the University has pretty clearly recommend that you put this thing to a vote - "We have respectfully requested that the union leadership give TAs and RAs the opportunity to have their views heard by conducting a ratification vote on this offer."

You guys are just eager to go cause a ruckus, we get it. That's not going to impress me either.

daisy, Maegs all say thanks to InYoutoGive for this post.

daisy likes this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 08:05 AM   #71
dsahota

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYoutoGive View Post
I'd rather have reason and good judgment rule the day, thanks. Your 'stamina' and 'resolve' are certainly not impressing me.

Also, the University has pretty clearly recommend that you put this thing to a vote - "We have respectfully requested that the union leadership give TAs and RAs the opportunity to have their views heard by conducting a ratification vote on this offer."

You guys are just eager to go cause a ruckus, we get it. That's not going to impress me either.
If they honestly thought their deal would be approved, there is a mechanism in the Labour Relations Act that allows the University to put it to a vote. We're not going to do their work for them when we are absolutely certain our membership will vote down their deal. If they want to bring it to a vote, they have the ability and option to and have no need to ask us. Our membership was very clear at our all of our information meetings on what we could and could not accept. A deal which puts just a small chunk of money only into wages and does not address any other issues, is not something our members said they would accept.

Parnian, plutoz like this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 08:07 AM   #72
dsahota

And to further your advice on getting some rest, this will be my last post for a while. Please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you have a question to ask. I'll respond to them in order as soon as I can.

Derek
Old 10-31-2009 at 08:45 AM   #73
plutoz

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
They likely haven't done that because they only get to use that once during a bargaining round. They know their offer right now is completely below the norm in the sector, even in difficult financial times, and will soundly be rejected by our membership. If they thought otherwise, they would have just called the forced ratification instead of asking us to recommend it to our members.
Good point. I get the distinct impression that they are prepared to let the strike happen and see where the chips fall, ie how many TAs cross the picket lines, in hopes that it will strengthen their position.

Those that do scab will be playing right into their hand.
Old 10-31-2009 at 08:57 AM   #74
InYoutoGive

Oh, the conspiracy!
Old 10-31-2009 at 10:00 AM   #75
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Would you look at that
http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.c...able/#comments
People are asking to vote on the proposal...