MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CUPE Members to vote on offer previously reject by the bargaining team DannyV General Discussion 13 11-05-2009 07:05 AM
CUPE 3906 is Self-Serving InYoutoGive General Discussion 72 11-02-2009 10:54 AM
McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 139 11-01-2009 05:08 PM
CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Gets Strong Strike Mandate: 50% Higher Turnout Than 2006 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-24-2009 06:30 PM

Censorship on the CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Bargaining Blog?

Old 10-31-2009 at 04:25 PM   #106
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Derek, you won't even tell us what the vote results were for the mandate vote...so to be quite honest I don't even believe that it was a significant number!
Old 10-31-2009 at 04:39 PM   #107
ramirez.a

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
... They were not working for a more equitable society, they were simply looking out for themselves.
I strongly disagree and recommend you investigate who struggled for the rights of women to be able to attend educational institutions, and who faught for women's right to vote.

I think you will come to a surprising revelation - according to your current stance.
Old 10-31-2009 at 06:16 PM   #108
AYuen

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirez.a View Post
AN UNINFORMED POPULATION IS EASILY DECEIVED, MANIPULATED, AND TRAMPLED UPON -
Ramirez, I agree with you 100%. Keeping the membership uninformed (not releasing the strike mandate numbers) is an excellent way to keep us in the dark.

Let's not forget two other important points:

1) We, the TA's, are not given the option to vote on our own deal. $30/month so that you guys can determine what I should think?

2) On some of your CUPE literature, and on the CUPE blog comments, 'scabs' have been threatened via comments like 'where i come from scabs watch their backs' and instructions to get the name and address and picture of scabs to post online (according to CUPE picket manual)

So you guys are doing an excellent job of deceiving, manipulating, and trampling on TAs and students.

Also, weren't you the 'independent undergrad support committee' guy? From your posts, you're about as independent as Fox News is 'Fair and Balanced'

daisy, micadjems, Taunton, zombiejesus all say thanks to AYuen for this post.

Old 10-31-2009 at 06:23 PM   #109
kleung

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYuen View Post

2) On some of your CUPE literature, and on the CUPE blog comments, 'scabs' have been threatened via comments like 'where i come from scabs watch their backs' and instructions to get the name and address and picture of scabs to post online (according to CUPE picket manual)

Remember: A scab protects against infection by CUPE.

micadjems, Taunton, tbiris like this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:01 PM   #110
ayinaim

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
They did have a vote on a strike mandate which clearly gave direction to the bargaining team to call a strike if necessary to achieve a fair collective agreement. The vote was held over 6 days with tons of notice, flyers, etc. We had the highest turnout in our local's known history. The package the employer has offered is very similar to the package on the table at that point, which our members clearly said wasn't fair. Calling another vote merely postpones the process and takes efforts of the bargaining team away from getting a fair collective agreement.
Derek,

I believe the best way to clear your credibility regarding the 'strong mandate' is by telling us how many percent of the total union members actually voted for it? If the percentage is too small, obviously those TAs and RAs are not even interested to be part of the union, thus didnt care to vote.

As much as i support labor unions (yeah i really do), there's something wrong when people are having union rules and membership FORCED upon them. It's obvious that MANY IF NOT MOST of the TAs DONT EVEN WANT to be a member of the union. It's true that most workers need a union to protect themselves, but some people just dont want a union. And worse, the leaders decided for all members that a vote is not required at this moment. That's a total bs. Think about it.

AYuen says thanks to ayinaim for this post.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:04 PM   #111
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Ramirez, I agree with you 100%. Keeping the membership uninformed (not releasing the strike mandate numbers) is an excellent way to keep us in the dark.

Let's not forget two other important points:

1) We, the TA's, are not given the option to vote on our own deal. $30/month so that you guys can determine what I should think?

So you guys are doing an excellent job of deceiving, manipulating, and trampling on TAs and students.

Also, weren't you the 'independent undergrad support committee' guy? From your posts, you're about as independent as Fox News is 'Fair and Balanced'
WOW. Just wow.

Thanks for this post AYeun.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:16 PM   #112
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
LOL That was him??

It all makes sense now! Same bad grammar and spelling, and the same dumb propaganda.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:22 PM   #113
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleung View Post
Remember: A scab protects against infection by CUPE.
Also "If you have a Scab don't Pick it" (I DO hope you get this one lol)

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

AYuen, DannyV, micadjems, Taunton like this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:24 PM   #114
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayinaim View Post
Derek,

I believe the best way to clear your credibility regarding the 'strong mandate' is by telling us how many percent of the total union members actually voted for it? If the percentage is too small, obviously those TAs and RAs are not even interested to be part of the union, thus didnt care to vote.

As much as i support labor unions (yeah i really do), there's something wrong when people are having union rules and membership FORCED upon them. It's obvious that MANY IF NOT MOST of the TAs DONT EVEN WANT to be a member of the union. It's true that most workers need a union to protect themselves, but some people just dont want a union. And worse, the leaders decided for all members that a vote is not required at this moment. That's a total bs. Think about it.
Personally I think Derek has been doing an excellent job at keeping us informed; he's been extremely helpful in answering questions about how the union is operating and was able to give us a first hand (if biased) look at what was going on with the bargaining.

He couldn't release the numbers if he wanted to, its a CUPE policy across the board, not just something he's refusing to give us.

ayinaim, DannyV, Taunton all say thanks to Marlowe for this post.

DannyV likes this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:42 PM   #115
AYuen

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
Calling another vote merely postpones the process and takes efforts of the bargaining team away from getting a fair collective agreement.
...or it'll give us the chance to vote on it and decide for ourselves. If Mac has walked away from the table, as you say they have, then how are you going to get a 'fair collective agreement' anyway?

Derek, I don't want to pick on you too much because I do appreciate the fact that you're working so hard for what you believe is right (even if I disagree on what is right). And I have no problems with you as a person. But do you really believe that CUPE is representative of the population? We're in the same department. Hell, we have the same co-supervisor. Three of the people fighting you the most are in your own department! And every TA I've spoken to in Eng Phys says they will break the strike. So how can you honestly sit there and say that CUPE speaks for all of us?
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:44 PM   #116
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

IMO, the number of Undergrads who will be strike breakers will prove definitely hinder CUPE's attempts. Almost all my TA friends have no intention of joining the picket line and would gladly wear the title scab as this is not a cause they believe in.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 07:57 PM   #117
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

I'm curious if the labour studies TA's are supporting CUPE or not!

I have a feeling many unions have to go on strike or bargain aggressively every few years to simply justify their existence... this is becoming even more apparent with the reluctance of CUPE to allow the TA's they represent a voice in the discussion. Additionally, I'm curious to see how any proposed wage raises stacks up next to the union fees. If the union fees are greater than the proposed wage increase, well, I think a different path may be in order.

I have total respect for the TA's who work for our great school, but CUPE goons please get off our campus. I loved having Toronto's trash thrown all over my town's parks because you labor terrorists took the city by the throat. All I can say is thank god we're not represented by CAW or our TA's might make $50 for every check mark they have to place. A tale of two unions: CAW drives GM into inefficiency and stagnation and CUPE drives students and tuition money out of York. Hopefully these clowns accept a fair offer so we can get off this train wreck!

AYuen, Taunton like this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 08:02 PM   #118
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
I have a feeling many unions have to go on strike or bargain aggressively every few years to simply justify their existence...
WIN.

Political ideologies be damned. Unionism exists solely to sustain itself and those who serve to make a living off activism. I.E. - Sid Ryan.

AYuen, Taunton like this.
Old 10-31-2009 at 08:09 PM   #119
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
I.E. - Sid Ryan.
PLEASE don't tell me he's still running CUPE in Ontario!
Old 10-31-2009 at 08:11 PM   #120
Furgs

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
I'm curious if the labour studies TA's are supporting CUPE or not!

I have a feeling many unions have to go on strike or bargain aggressively every few years to simply justify their existence... this is becoming even more apparent with the reluctance of CUPE to allow the TA's they represent a voice in the discussion. Additionally, I'm curious to see how any proposed wage raises stacks up next to the union fees. If the union fees are greater than the proposed wage increase, well, I think a different path may be in order.

I have total respect for the TA's who work for our great school, but CUPE goons please get off our campus. I loved having Toronto's trash thrown all over my town's parks because you labor terrorists took the city by the throat. All I can say is thank god we're not represented by CAW or our TA's might make $50 for every check mark they have to place. A tale of two unions: CAW drives GM into inefficiency and stagnation and CUPE drives students and tuition money out of York. Hopefully these clowns accept a fair offer so we can get off this train wreck!
From what I've heard the labour studies program itself will shut down completely in support of the union. This is what I've heard so I could be mistaken or right. So then it comes into question that as a labour studies student do I cross the picket line to get to my other classes which aren't labour studies? Most people I know in my program aren't going to school because they basically have no class because a majority of their schedule is labour studies courses.

Me personally, I have all my electives this term so there's nothing that can convince me not to go to class. Although I'd like to support my faculty, I'm not going to lose out and miss class and I think the terms were more than generous which was presented at the bargaining table.